A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 193: Business as Usual

Editor: nnpdad 2 December 2021

Warehouses aren’t much fun to visit and this little inspection simply reinforced that sentiment; stacked wooden crates of things was pretty much what it came down to. It was a necessary evil and ‘Just In Time’ manufacturing was relegated to a date far in the future. We had security, we had stout doors and a full inventory list went back north with each boat run. Our supply guy at Rulo Transport checked the new list versus the old versus our transport log and then Sonya checked his work after. It was all very neat and clean, it was also incredibly mind numbing.

We headed out to the office and crew barracks from there to see how that entire setup was running because the comfort of the crews while in port was still important to me. Patrick was in the office shuffling through various paperwork piles when I got there. He had inventories, load sheets and bills of sale from our produce and pelts. He brought me up to speed and told me that all remaining produce and pelts would be on our boat and the now empty boat would return to Rulo with warehouse goods and beer. Well that was good news.

I quickly scribbled out a letter to Sonya asking her to come down and put our accounting situation straight, mentioning that with any luck I’d be able to meet her in either St. Charles or St. Louis on my way back through. Both boats would be leaving tomorrow morning. With that out of the way I toured the barracks and it was looking good, everything was clean and freshly painted. The entire second floor was the barracks with dozens of beds and a small pot-bellied stove right in the center. My signs of ‘Things not Allowed’ were posted also.

The first floor had the duty desk and the office, with the back two thirds of the first floor consisting of the large kitchen with its equally-sized adjacent pantry, along with the dining hall holding several bench seating tables. It was all very utilitarian with enough comfort for a couple of nights’ layover; far better for the guys than sleeping rough while in town.

With the site inspections complete, we went back up to Byrne’s where I’d arranged for a final meeting with all of the primaries who were in the area. I hung out at the bar with John while we waited for everyone to show up. We were going to eat in the private function room which was being setup as we waited. Coffee was the natural go-to drink for a get-together such as this. It wasn’t a party after all, it was a business meeting.

Every had finally gathered at the table and we munched on appetizers as worked through our meeting; appetizers on the frontier being mainly bread with butter, honey or jam. Rachel had volunteered to take notes so I mentally scheduled her topics for last. I led the meeting off by discussing the total holdings in the area and the purpose of each. When you listed everything out it was rather impressive, particularly when you considered the short amount of time I’d been in 1822. I also listed out what was going on up in Rulo and gave them some rough numbers.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.