A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 189: The Doctor

Editor: nnpdad 24

The next morning found me riding in a carriage down Main Street with Sinclaire sitting next to me; Amos and Brin were on the driver’s seat. We were on our way to check out this house and the good doctor himself, although he didn’t know that. The roads were wide and lacked sidewalks, but the neighborhood was quite attractive. When we arrived, I saw the house was classic Georgian Architecture which left it in desperate need of a porch to overlook the generous front lawn.

The drive was circular with a straight leg leading back to the carriage house and barns; basically it was shaped like an ‘h’ – only reversed so that the straight leg ran up the right side of the house. It was brick of course, clay being quite easy to come by in this neck of the woods.

My two new business friends and the good doctor himself stepped out to greet us before we had a chance to dismount. I exited the coach and helped Sinclaire to exit gracefully while they waited.

“Your driver can take the carriage around to the side; there’ll be water for the horses. He can wait in the servants quarters, they will have food and drink for him there.” The doctor offered in a clipped Bostonian accent.

I nodded to Amos and he nodded back; he just sat there patiently while introductions were made all around and we entered the house. I heard him move the cart out as soon as we were gone; my guy was good. The first thing I noticed was that the front door lacked a foyer; now Missouri doesn’t get quite as cold as Nebraska but it does get cold enough to qualify for a foyer. This was something which could be rectified with a small bit of construction.

We started off with a tour of the house, which was beautifully made and decorated. It seems a lot of money had been spent on this place and I began to wonder what the hell had happened to cut off this good man’s cash flow. There were a total of six bedrooms all on the second floor, each fair-sized with full closets and sitting space. The first floor had the surgery, the study and then library on the left hand side; the right hand side was the parlor, dining room and then the kitchen. All in all it was about what I needed down here in St. Charles.

We retired to the parlor for beverages and snacks. Fortunately someone in the household had some common sense about men so instead of cakes we got finger sandwiches. They were good sandwiches, too - we had a choice of cheese, pickle, egg or ham finger sandwiches. I personally had two of each, the pickle sandwich was hands down the best.

After the small talk had ended I made the proper outhouse excuses and went to find Amos and get the scoop on the state of the outbuildings. Bless the cook’s soul, Amos had the same sandwiches we had and she even gave Brin a bone; this one was a keeper. I thanked Amos for his good work and told him it would be a while longer. He seemed OK with that so I went back to the parlor to work a deal.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.