A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 187: Mickey’s

Editor: TeNderLoin

Mickey was back in the same seat when I walked into the pub, it was going to be really hard to break him of this habit. I grabbed the stool from behind the bar and took it down to sit facing him.

“Mick, I got a job I need you to do.”

“Sure Zach, what you need?”

I put a twenty dollar coin on the bar between us and went on, “I need you to run to town and get me a large sign made to go on front of this pub, a pub should have a name.”

Mick nodded so I went on, “it should be big enough to be seen and read from a distance and should say this on it.” I took a slip of paper out of my pocket and slid it over to him. He took a long look at it and said in a confused voice, “I don’t read so well but that looks like me name...”

“It is your name Mickey, it’s still my bar and Sinclaire is still the manager but she’s going to be very busy from now on and since you are here running it, might as well have your name.” Now he looked very confused.

“Go tell cook and see what she thinks, “ I offered to help settle him down.

I personally think it’s a desire of every Irishman to eventually run a pub, no matter how small. Apparently he was having trouble with the fact that everyone would know it as ‘Mickey’s’ and he would actually be the point man. Sinclaire would continue to do the books for now but I was sure Sonya would be down here soon to visit all of these businesses and establish some accounting procedures.

Mickey came back from the kitchen with a big smile on his face and his hat in hand, he grabbed the coin off the bar and let me know he’d be right back. I told him to take his time.

Cook came out right after he left and hit me with a big hug, she was actually crying and they sounded like tears of happiness. When she eventually released me from her bone crushing hug I held her at arms length and just smiled at her.

“You do understand that I didn’t give him the pub and Sinclaire will still be the manager, I just put his name on it and told him he was the front man from now on.

She nodded.

“You guys will need a few errand boys to help out now, especially with winter on it’s way, Sinclaire will help you hire them.

“Mickey will need some better clothes, maybe two vests with lots of pockets and four nice shirts.” I slid her a ten dollar coin and said “buy yourself some better working clothes also. You should have crates of fresh tomatoes and corn to put on the menu, if they haven’t arrived yet they soon will.”

She simply gave me another of those bone crushing hugs and a kiss on the cheek, apparently she was speechless right now which was a new experience for me. Cook was usually constantly talking about one thing or another. She started to head back to the kitchen when I stopped her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.