A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 184: Morning Sounds

Editor: nnpdad

As always, waking slowly in my own bed with a beautiful woman beside me was a treat. The comfort of familiar sights and sounds soothed the soul and allowed for a relaxing wakeup. I considered trying to slip stealthily out of bed and then I noticed that Matilda had snuck in to join us at some point during the night. She had her own blanket and was fully dressed so I figured she had simply desired company. From the little I knew of her past I was quite sure I didn’t want to know what her nightmares might be like when she had one.

I carefully made my exit from the bed even though I knew both were at least partially awakened by my movements. Matilda’s beautiful eyes stared at me as I ungracefully left the bed, I could see the sleep still in them. I gave each woman a soft kiss on the forehead and bade them to sleep. They snuggled in together as best they could with their separate blankets and moments later I heard soft snores once again.

I cleaned myself up as quietly as I was able, grabbed my coffee cup and my gear and then slipped out the door into the humid but cool morning air. Morning was my favorite time of day. No matter where I am in the world I’ve always loved the dawn and sunrise. To me, the breaking new day signified hope and resilience and fortified my resolve for the tasks that lie ahead.

Coffee cup in hand I noisily approached the guys setting on death watch, that horrific time just before dawn when it was hardest to stay awake and the temperature really got cold during the winter. I didn’t envy these fellas but I’d stood firewatch enough times in my past that I didn’t pity them either; it’s all just part of the rotation to keep the people safe.

Brin of course was helping with watch duty. It hadn’t taken folks long to figure out that if you gave him a comfy place to lie he would snooze with whoever was on watch. He heard me coming a figurative mile away and trotted over to welcome me; he was a always a welcome sight and I enjoyed his company. I sat in my normal chair at the table and Brin settled in next to me while the two men standing watch moved down to join me.

There was no reason to gather around a fire this time of year so the watch normally just sat at the table between their individual rounds. We didn’t demand exacting precision on their rounds, preferring the added randomness as a deterrence. Everyone took watch seriously since it was their own families they were guarding. There was a small rocket stove keeping the coffee hot but it was a little away from everything to minimize light pollution and shadows that made easy targets.

The morning light came on relentlessly and I could slowly start to make out who my companions were; neither one was completely known to me and they seemed a little intimidated. It’s not easy when the boss shows up unannounced in the middle of the death watch. I simply made my coffee and lit a cigarette, enjoying the day break with my dog at my side. I decided to avoid thoughts of duty and responsibility for a few more minutes while I watched the sunrise and listened to our little village come to life.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.