Delusional Dreams - Cover

Delusional Dreams

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

08 Shifting Stratagies

Fiction Sex Story: 08 Shifting Stratagies - Offered telepathic, psychedelic mushrooms by someone murdered due to what he learned using them, Theo Muller wrestles with his troubled path, uncertain future and his undeniable yet unclear role in God's plans.

Caution: This Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fiction   Extra Sensory Perception   Voyeurism  

Can you define “plan” as “a loose sequence of
manifestly inadequate observations and conjectures,
held together by panic, indecision, and ignorance”?
If so, it was a very good plan.

Jonathan Stroud

“Hello, the Müller residence. Anthony Müller speaking.”

“I’d intended to bide my time with a new study while adjusting to Jennifer’s loss, but I got a better opportunity.”

“What does that mean? Will they refund what we’ve squandered on your education?”

“No,” Theo said, regretting his decision to call. He’d hoped to reach his mother. While she wouldn’t be any more receptive, she wouldn’t be as critical, dismissive or shaming. “I’m switching to Wintervale. It’s a small regional college out west, more personal and encouraging. They’re hiring me for the duration of my doctorate, providing a substantial employee tuition discount. Plus, a living wage covering my other expenses, including medical benefits.”

Anthony whistled. “That is better, and believe it or not, I’m familiar with it, as a friend went there as an undergrad. So, what about your previous classes and credits? Are they transferrable? After all, you’re leaving mid-year. At least, if you took a year off, you could return and not lose your accumulated time.”

“No, on their advice, I’m changing my field of study. I’m transferring from a non-medical physiology degree to a medically-based psychology one focusing on sleep studies.”

“Sleep studi—are you insane? Who the hell researches sleep? No one pays for eight plus years of college to learn about napping! Your career track is nonexistent! You snooze, sometimes you dream, then wake up. End of story!”

“It’s not so simple. As I said, it’s medically based, centered on my earlier efforts in the field. I’ll be treating the resident administrative staff, professors and students, as well as holding classes. It means I’ll be working the entire time. And it’s in something I love, rather than something I merely put up with, and the potential is...”

“Utterly worthless! Is this your idea of a joke? If you wanted to waste that much time, you could have worked for me. When you work for a living, sleep is how you end your day, not your entire job!”

“Don’t, Dad,” Theo warned. “I’m only calling as a courtesy. There’s no reason to inform you at all.”

“And because you’re slightly less condescending, I’m supposed to be pleased you’re pissing your life away?”

“Anton, stop. Don’t! Don’t push him away again,” his mother pleaded.

“Look, as long as the Podunk school is paying you, you’re free to do whatever you want. But don’t expect a standing ovation as you flush your life down the crapper! There are no jobs in sleep. Your only option is sleep-apnea testing, treating a few patients a week, tops.”

“You’re thinking small. Just because the field is minute at the moment, doesn’t mean there aren’t opportunities.”

“No? So, what are your plans? What will your doctorate be on? Have you formulated a proposal, or are you even considering anything?”

“The opportunity only recently turned up, and they’ve offered me the position. It covers time to catch up and identify a promising, brain-related study tying my prior research with Psychological sleep studies, creating an entirely new field. I’ll be the leading expert.”

“You mean the only quack in an area no one gives a damn about! There’s a reason there’s no other studies. No one friggin’ cares! You sleep, you dream some nonsense, you wake up and resume your life. It’s a waste of time!”

“Well, I’ve informed you. Having determined where you stand, I guess we’re done. Don’t bother calling me again, as I’m permanently blocking your number. If you can’t think of a single posit—”

“Are you threatening me, you little jerkwad?” Anthony screamed.

“Anton, don’t! Stop now and apologize. If I lose my son because you’re an uptight ass, I’ll leave. I swear!”

“Have a good life, Dad. Tell Mom I love her, though she was never any more supportive than you. But at least she cared enough to lie. Don’t call again, either of you!”


“Welcome aboard, Theo. We’re excited to have you. How are you set? Do you have everything you need?”

“I’m fine, Dean Wimbly. Everyone’s been incredibly welcoming, and I have more volunteers than things to move.”

“Call me Francis, as my name ain’t Dean and we’re family here.” He paused, considering their newest employee. “How’d your family take the news?”

“Not well. I tried to break it to them diplomatically, but things quickly spun out of control. No direct threats were made, but it was merely a matter of time until my father started.”

“That’s unfortunate, though it doesn’t hurt keeping a channel open, even if only an indirect one. You never know when they might have a change of heart.”

Theo shook his head. “No. They made their choice when they pushed me into a field I neither have a calling for, or any desire to pursue. This is where I belong. If they can’t comprehend that, they’ll never support this move. Whatever they say, whatever sympathies they claim, it’ll ring hollow without the encouragement I needed during my darkest hours.”

“Well, trust me, I think you’ll find plenty of emotional backing here. From what I hear, you’re making friends, and there’s an upsurge in interest in your new lecture series.” Francis paused again, letting his reassurance seep in. “Have you given any further thought into your dissertation? Say any particular avenue or perspectives?”

“No, frankly, I’ve been wrapping up loose ends, transferring my possessions and preparing for this. I didn’t have time to dive into the topic yet. Despite my lack of focus, I can’t help but feel I’m near something significant, only I haven’t put my finger on it. I can tell it’s just out of sight, buried under all the unrelated details. Once I start, I’m sure it’ll become plain: the answer, my decision and future career unfolding naturally.”

“Well, I certainly admire your enthusiasm, as it’s positively infectious. It usually takes some time to change dissertation topics. Everyone you’ve spoken to on the staff is excited about your prospects, despite your lack of specifics. If it carries over to your lectures, the students will eat it up, guaranteeing positive results.”

“Hey, once I make up my mind, I’m all in. Turning my back on my past, I’m ready to begin constructing my fate. One that, though slightly overcast now, promises to be bright, clear and rewarding, however it turns out.”

“I’m looking forward to watching your progress, as you seem to have a firm grip on your future. If you need anything, feel free to call. If I can’t personally arrange it, I can at least tell you who has the best chance of setting it up.”

“Thanks. If I require something, I’ll contact you. Enthusiastic students are a better sign, as they’ll provide the energy to pursue whatever I need to uncover.”


“So, how are you coping?” Natalie asked the following morning. “We went out dancing, but when we returned—hoping to talk—you were sound asleep. I’m guessing this is more stressful than you anticipated.”

“I’m sorry, mate,” Nate said. “I know you two wanted to chat, but taking Nat out was my way of sayin’ I don’t ‘ave reservations ‘bout you. I never thought you’d crap out on us.”

“Yeah, not realizing your plans, I didn’t want to wait up like an expectant parent.” Theo poured himself some coffee, skipping the cream and sugar to make more room for straight black Joe. “But it struck me how much I miss my ... ivory tower. I’ve always thought of myself as a normal guy, a little more intellectual perhaps, but clearly I’ve got a bit of a blind spot.”

“From what you’ve said, you’ve got reason to be distracted.” Nate grinned, cocking his head. “Not just lately, but with everything you’ve been wrestling with after changing schools. It’s no wonder you’re a little off your game.”

Theo considered the two love birds, leaning against the counter. “How much did you tell about my ... situation?”

Natalie glanced down, as Nate smirked. “Not much. But we’re living together. You can’t dump ‘at kinda shit on someone withou’ spectin’ ‘em to mention it.”

Theo frowned, considering her. “And what, exactly, did she say?”

Before she could respond, her boyfriend answered for her. “How there was an ‘incident’ at your school and you needed to get away.”

“It’s nothing,” Theo clarified. “I saw the men who did it, but they’re associated with the police.”

“What do you mean by ‘associated’?”

Theo shrugged. “It means they have access not only to all the official law enforcement channels, but also their communications, reports, assignments and case files. Thus, I can’t risk reporting them to the cops. I just need to lie low, until they get their house in order.”

“So, the law is after you, and there are officially sanctioned killers searching for you too?” Nate asked, his accent disappearing.

“You’re not in jeopardy,” Theo assured him, “as no one realizes I’m here. And I’m planning on talking to the authorities, but I have to figure out how to approach them first.”

“Wait.” Nate pushed his chair back, scraping it across the tile floor. “All she said was you had trouble with a girlfriend and dropped out, taking an easier job. She never said anyone was after you!”

“Sorry, my bad,” Theo said, raising his mug to hide his rising blush. “The way you assured me that Natalie revealed my history, Iassumed ... But consider yourself duly informed. Just keep it in mind when chatting with your mates.”

“As you guessed, I did as you suggested, but didn’t want toannounce I lied to Nate. Thanks a lot, that was deftly executed. Sheesh, no wonder everyone’s scrambling for their lives!”

“Jeez, mate, what the ‘ell did you do? Should we move, or just kick yo’ ass to the street?”

“He asked us to shelter him,” Natalie said, hoping to provide Theo some cover, “explaining no one knew where he was. No one is in any danger. As long as no one says anything or acts oddly for the next several days. But now you see why I wanted to speak with him. But nooo! You had to take me out drinking, ensuring I wouldn’t hook up with an old friend the very first night!”

“So, we’re supposed to trust this guy, who has every reason to lie to us? If he doesn’t, he has nowhere else to cower.”

Theo spread his hands. “If you’re uncomfortable, I’ll take my chances on my own. Though I lost them, every moment I’m on the road, I’m endangering more people.

“Don’t forget, my being here implicates both of you. If the men I saw come for me, you’re each in peril. Throwing me out is the most dangerous thing you can do. But I never intended to jeopardize anyone, so I’ll pack my things. If I don’t rush out the door, I can minimize any risks to either of you.”

“You’ll do no such thing,” Natalie asserted. “If this idiot wasn’t trying to get me drunk so I’d confess my supposed infidelity, he’d never learn what he’s undoubtedly unprepared for. But I wouldn’t be here if Theo hadn’t risked his life to save mine. So, there’s no way I’ll turn my back on him now!”

“I’m entitled to know if my life is threatened!” Nate argued, inflating his chest like a preening peacock.

His companion spun on him. “No? For all your pretentious Australian claims, you’ve never even set foot outside of the tri-state area. You never wrestled no alligator, nor seen any bloody dingoes. You pretend to be tough, but you’re as scared of your shadow as a small child!”

“Hey, calm down. The last thing we need is to lose our tempers. If anyone says the wrong thing, we’re all in danger, whether I remain or not.”

Nate stood, throwing his napkin on the table. “I ain’t waitin’ for someone to show up, looking for you. You stand by yo’ man if you want, but I’m outta’ here. If you don’t run for it, you deserve whatever you get!”

“Hey, take a breath and relax,” Theo advised, blocking his path. “Storming out will only end with you bitching in a bar to whoever will listen. If these people get word of it, Natalie may be implicated. Again, there’s no need to panic. I’ll leave, just give me time to get my things. But think of someone besides yourself before panicking.”

“I’ll do what I want. I never asked you to stay. Nat did, so she is responsible for your being here. But you can’t dictate what I do. I never trusted you anyway. Outta my way, unless you’re prepared to fight.”

Theo backed up, still preventing his escape. “I’m not stopping you, but if you don’t cool off, someone is likely to get hurt. I’ll go, leaving you alone. But if you keep ranting, it’s solely a matter of time before someone starts peering into your lives, too.”

“You’ll do no such thing!” she reiterated, standing. “This pretentious blowhard has been blowing smoke up my ass for too long. When the first hint of real danger shows, he races for the exit.”

“Natalie, you’re not helping.”

Without warning, Nate threw a punch, connecting with Theo’s cheek and sending him sprawling.

“I dinna’ thin’ you no man, whatever Nats sees in you. She can have you, for all I care. But I’m not gambling on you doing the right thing. You’ve already risked our lives, what else haven’t you told us?”

As he started out, carefully skirting Theo, Natalie grabbed the pitcher, throwing it with the aim of an experienced softball player. It shattered against Nate’s skull, as he tumbled in a shower of glass and shockingly cold orange juice. He didn’t move after bouncing off the hardwood floor.

“Jeez! Any hard feelings between you two I should’a been warned of?”

“A few,” she sighed, helping him up. Theo glanced at Nate’s unmoving form.

“What now? Tie him up and lock him in the basement? This doesn’t change anything. Once he recovers, he’ll run again, hoping to get ahead of this by turning me in. Only they won’t stop there. Once they do, they’ll take him into custody where, after revealing everything he knows, he’ll disappear forever.”

“Calm down,” she urged. “I reacted without thinking. I can’t prevent him from doing whatever he wants, but you’re right, we can’t dump him here, just as we can’t stay.”

Theo turned to her. “What are you suggesting?”

“Leave the loser. I kept hoping he’d mature, but it was never going to happen. He’ll bawl like a baby once he’s out the door. We need to get out before he wakes and run for it.”

“And go where? Sheesh, I’da been better off on my own, without all this baggage. At least then I’d have a decent chance. Now, every cop in the region will be searchin’ for us!”

“I don’t hear any compelling alternatives,” she said, checking Nate for any injuries. “If we restrain him or just run, it’ll provide enough time to get away. Once we’re somewhere safe, I’ll get a friend to untie him. Then he can do what he wants, but I won’t have to deal with ‘im anymore.

“I’ll grab an overnight bag and some traveling cash, and we’re out the door.”

“We won’t get far if the cops are searching for us,” Theo warned, as she ran down the hallway.

“Stop yacking and do something! I’m surprised you survived this long. But I have experience with this type of thing. Things will be fine, but we need to move.”


“You realize how stupid this is, don’t you?” Theo asked, as they left, carefully monitoring their speed, as well as anyone nearby. “I’d be better off on my own, with you staying behind to calm Nate.”

“Yeah, but he was on thin ice long before you showed up. His response demonstrates exactly what you warned. He’s a ticking bomb. Sticking around will injure anyone nearby! Though not optimal, it’s our only choice. I talked to a girlfriend while out last night. She’ll swap cars, so we can get away clean, as long as you keep your head down. Until Nate gets loose, no one knows to look for us. After we find somewhere to hole up, I’ll have someone check on him.”

“Don’t.” He started digging through his bag.” I picked up a few burner phones on the way here. “Here, use this instead. It’ll still ping off the nearest tower, but we may not have any other options.”

“We might,” she suggested, but didn’t elaborate.

“Just when I think my life can’t get any more complex. And it’s not simply one to two things, everything is crumbling, everywhere I turn.” He hesitated. “Nate, mate? Really?”

She chuckled. “Yeah, not only was his accent terrible, hewasn’t as clever as he thought.”

She turned, considering him. “We’ve got time, with nothing better to discuss, since you won’t reveal what’s happening. You may as well get it off your chest.”

Theo sighed. “It’s nothing. It’s just that everything I thought I understood about those closest to me is utterly untrue.”

“All this, while you were sound asleep all night? What am I missing?”

“Nothing,” Theo mumbled. “I realized some things about some friends I never grasped before.”

“Girlfriend?” she guessed.

“Yeah, and my niece.”

“Really? Très kinky,” she teased.

“Not really. I’m related through her husband, not blood. But again, everything I’ve assumed seems wrong, so now I’m unsure what to believe. I was under the impression I was having revelations about everyone, but now I’m questioning the validity of my thoughts.”

“I can understand your worries, as everything you’ve counted on has fallen apart. But don’t start second guessing yourself. Your insights are the only thing we can rely on. No one knows more about those seeking us than you. Focus on what you know and ignore any distractions. With everyone’s life at stake, you can’t afford to drop the ball, doubting your natural inclinations.

“You have to concentrate on what you’re conscious of and figure out where to go from here. So, forget your missteps, cast your doubts aside, and center on what you’re actually aware of, rather than all you can’t predict.”

“Look, while I appreciate it, you didn’t need to risk yourlife for me. I had no problems leaving, instead of provoking a fight.”

“Yeah, you see how it played out. Nate, whose real name is John, by the way, wasn’t listening, he was looking for a confrontation. Or more probably, a way out of both the situation and our whole relationship.”

“I know, I was there. The point is, you don’t have to sacrifice yourself on my account. You don’t owe me.”

“Let’s agree to disagree. I’ve been in your position, so I understand what it’s like, feeling like you’re on your own with no way out. So, I didn’t do this for you, I did it for myself. I can’t abandon someone going through the same thing—especially knowing how much it means, both to me and to your survival.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.