The Family - Cover

The Family

Copyright© 2020 by The Story Teller

Chapter 6

May and Kevin signed to have Denise released in their custody and led her upstairs to the detective offices. They sat her at a desk where Kevin could keep an eye on her while he worked on his laptop. May was gonna have a talk with Andreychuck.

The Lieutenant looked up from his paper work when the detective entered his office.

“So you figured it out. What do you think?” His eyes strayed to the window where he could see Kevin and the girl seated at a desk.

“She told us a story about as far-fetched as it can get but I’m kinda leaning to believe her. Kevin is a little more skeptical so he’s using his computer to see what kind of reports we have on missing women.

“So what about Denise? What do you want to do about her?
“I need your permission for something.” May replied.

“Yeah, like what?’ Andreychuck asked. His eyes were back on May, wondering what his detective was up to.

“For the time being, a safe house ‘cause while I don’t believe she should stay in jail, I think she definitely needs our protection. Just give me a couple of people to keep an eye on her while Kevin and I check out her story. Okay?”

“A safe house? Better tell me what this is all about before I make that kind of decision,” Andreychuck replied.

He listened without saying a word until May finished telling him about the interview with Denise. He looked through the window at the girl and shook his head in disbelieve. She looked like a young teenager as she sat huddled in a chair with her eyes roaming around the room.

“And you believe her? You’re sure she’s not just stringing you along. You know ... a line of bull just to get out of jail.”
May shrugged. “Well, I don’t think she’s telling us quite everything but there’s enough truth to her story to make me believe she may be in danger from The Family if we let her go. That’s why I want to stash her somewhere safe while Kevin and I do some investigating.”

Andreychuck hesitated for a moment and then nodded his head.

“Okay, it’s your call so I’ll spring for the safe house but only for a few days. After that it gets to be a strain on the budget so you’d better have something good for me by then.”

“Great, so who you got in mind to act as babysitters?’ May asked.

“Baby sitters, eh. So that’s what you gonna call them.”

Andreychuck paused for a moment before announcing. “Okay, take Evans and Villencie. I don’t think they’re gonna like it but it can’t be helped.”

May nodded. She knew the pair and thought they’d be suitable. Amy Evans was a police officer that appeared soft at first contact but when push came to shove she could be tough as nails. In addition, she was female so she could keep a closer eye on her charge than a man could. Her usual partner, Vince Villencie, was pot-bellied, bald and nearing retirement so he usually moved at a snail’s pace but he still was capable of doing a good job.

As expected, Evans and Villencie met their new assignment with scowls and protests, but in the end after looking over the diminutive girl, they gave in.

“Okay, I guess so,” grumbled Villencie. “It’ll give us an opportunity to relax and take life easy for a few days.”

“Right. What harm can she do? It should be a piece of cake,” chimed in Evans after a final look at Denise.

“Hey, you two. It might look like an easy job but I suggest both of you keep a sharp eye on her.” May warned.

“Erh ... why?” Evans demanded. “You actually think somebody’s gonna come looking for her so soon. Who the hell did she manage to piss off anyway? She doesn’t look much older than a teenager.”

May put an end to the discussion by pulling Evans and Villencei aside. She wanted to talk to them away from the eyes and ears of Denise.

“Take this very seriously. By the looks of it, that girl might have angered some mob group called The Family and they’ll definitely be looking for her,” May warned. “Also, she seems mighty anxious to escape our clutches so you’d better watch her like a hawk.”

“Meaning what?’ questioned Evans.

“Meaning, you turn your back on her and she’ll disappear like the morning mist in the hot summer sun so I’m warning you not to let her out of your sight. Even for a moment. Okay?”

Evans nodded, turned and looked back at Denise who was still sitting quietly at the desk with Larkin. “She sure seems like a lot of trouble for such a little thing. Are you sure her story is true? She could be jerking you around, you know.”

“Could be,” May agreed. “But I’m just going with my gut instinct and it tells me there’s a ring of truth to her story so she’s gonna stay with you two until Kevin and I can check a few things out.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.