The Holes Binding Us Together - Cover

The Holes Binding Us Together

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

Epilogue

I thought that I needed a church and hundreds of guests
and music that actually sounded like music, but I was wrong.
What I needed was a drunken priest, irreverent guests,
and a companion who learned to play piano from a goat,
and sings the tune without the words
and never stops at all.

Julia Quinn

“Mom—I love calling you that—these are Mi-Ok, Ho-Sook and the honorable Kyung-Soon.” Peg stopped to say a few words in Korean before continuing. “Ladies, this is my new mom, Tabitha, and my new father, Andre, and my best friend and new brother, Paul.” The three women bowed, but it seemed clear they hadn’t a clue what she’d said.

“Mama Tab-itha?” Kyung-Soon clarified, shattering that misconception.

They were dressed in immaculate, colorful traditional Korean hanbok dresses and positively glowed beside Peg. Mi-Ok’s was a subtle teal with white cranes embroidered on it. Ho-Sook’s was green with pink wolves, while Kyung-Soon’s was a rich, eye-catching red with pale blue bears.

“That is correct,” Tabby said, clasping her hands and returning their bow. “It’s an honor meeting you.”

“What the...” a small but sharply dressed young Asian woman, wearing a tailored suit, exclaimed, stopping in her tracks as she encountered them. Her new parents turned to Peg.

“The rest of the Yi clan arrived a few moments ago,” she explained, bowing too. “Mom, Andre, Paul, this is Ae-Cha. If not for her, I’d never know the little Korean I do.”

“When she first appeared, she had no idea where she was, or why it was so cold.” She turned back to Peg and the other women. “But ... how? I couldn’t afford to fly them all, and they said not to worry and to wish you well. When I entered the hall, I saw you and your parents. Yet they appear out of nowhere before I reached you?”

“Get used to it,” Paul suggested, grinning broadly and no longer as guarded. “Haven’t you noticed Peg does magical things no one else can?”

“Yeah, it took a while, but I got used to her showing up at the oddest times. Though she always showed up alone. I can’t imagine how she brought our elders without taking special precautions.”

“Never underestimate her,” Andre cautioned. “No matter what you think you know, she’ll constantly surprise you.” He consulted his watch. “I’d say, the entire trip took, what, around six minutes?”

“That sounds right,” Peg replied, “since I don’t have or want a watch. They brought wedding gifts, which are on the table with the rest.”

Tabitha bowed again. “Many thanks. We’ll always cherish them.” She turned to Ae. “And thank you for looking after her when she still wasn’t sure what she was doing, jumping from place to place.”

“I did what I could,” Ae said, stopping to consider it, speaking quietly to the other women in Korean. They nodded, smiling widely, enjoying their little joke, before responding with short, concise answers that didn’t appease her.

“You’ve certainly been busy,” Andre observed. “You’re garnering more interest than the bride.”

Peg giggled. “I’m not trying to, but most of my friends don’t know anyone here, so it takes a while to get them settled.”

“Well, we’re pleased to finally meet those you keep describing,” Tabby said. “I see why they had such influence on you. They seem very calming and accept your ... quirks without making a big deal of it.”

“Yeah, sis,” Paul exclaimed, embracing Peg. “You’re so popular, we’ve hardly talked since the service. But you’ve done it. You accomplished all your goals and we’re a happy family! We can finally put our pasts behind us.”

“Yep,” she said, glancing around at all her friends gathered around. “We have. Now, I can be honest—more or less—with everyone. Though I can’t be stupid about it, my life no longer depends on deception and hiding truths.”

“Tell me about it. While you’ve brought all your friends here, aside from Tim, I don’t want to introduce my ‘business’ contacts to our new family. They’re sophisticated, popular businessmen, but they’re disgusting individuals. Instead, I’m hoping to make all new friends, who won’t know what I’ve been through.” He paused, pointing.

“Look,” Paul exclaimed, waving, “there’s Maryanne, Walt and Becky.”

“Peg, Paul, it’s so good to see you,” Maryanne said, as Walt hugged Paul while Becky held back.

“I’m glad you could make it,” Peg said. “These are my new parents, Tabitha, Andre and Bea.”

“All three?” Maryanne asked.

“Sorry,” Peg said blushing. “Tabitha and Andre are my parents. They were married today.”

“And Bea?”

“She’s, uh, she’s Tabby’s ... uh...”

“She’s my previous lover,” Tabitha clarified. “Don’t bother asking, it’s complicated.”

“For someone taking Peg in, being unusual is assumed.” Maryanne turned to Peg. “You mentioned that you learned more about Walter?”

“Sort of. The portal where he died was created while he was reviewing his life. Thus, all the places I saw are linked together. But

I visited another world where I discovered what happens after we die.”

“Really? What?”

“Well, your husband is dead, but ... he also isn’t.”

“What does that mean?”

“Is he coming back?” Becky asked, stepping closer.

“No, but when someone dies, they’re sent to another world. He won’t remember you, but the things he learned, his values and personality continue in his new life. So, in a way, you’re forever tied to him, even now.”

They remained silent for several moments, processing Peg’s revelation.

“That’s actually ... reassuring, in a way.”

“Wait,” Walt said, letting loose of Paul. “That means Mom will never die ... like Dad did?”

“That’s not quite what she meant,” Tabitha said. “It’s ... complicated.”

“No, it’s not,” Peg insisted. “Just like your father, she’ll get old and eventually perish. But when she does, she’ll move on somewhere else to become the mother of more wonderful children like you who needs a home, like us. You’ll have spent your entire life with her. Yet when you no longer need her, she’ll help others who do.”

“That’s better than just being gone forever,” Walt admitted.

“Or rotting in a wooden box buried in the ground,” Becky mumbled.

“Once they pass on, their bodies aren’t needed,” Andre said. “Since they don’t hold their spirits anymore, we put their remains where we can visit and remember those we cherished. It keeps their memory fresh in our, and your children’s memories.”

“That’s nice,” Becky said, nodding. “It’s not as dark as I imagined.”

“It’s a relief knowing what happened to him,” Maryanne said, holding her children. “It makes it easier continuing on.”

“Hey, Walt!” Tim said, trotting over. “I want you to meet some people.”

“Can I Mom? I don’t get this kinda chance often. The gays here are more sophisticated than those back home.”

“Sure, go ahead, but don’t get into trouble. We’re here as guests, not to take advantage of anyone.”

“Can I talk to a few kids?” Becky asked.

“I’m afraid they’re mostly discussing Peg,” Tabitha informed her.

“They’re still my age,” she argued. “I can stand less adulting.”

“If you’re interested in meeting people,” Andre said, “the line of Peg fans begins over there. They’re busy gossiping about her.”

“That sounds like my kind of party. Any guys as cute as you?”

“A few,” he conceded, grinning.

As she scampered off, Maryanne turned to the others. “She’s been in a really dark place, but sounds more hopeful than she has in a long time. With luck, this might make a difference.”

“If not, some new friends who don’t know her story will give her the chance to redefine herself,” Tabitha suggested. “Give her time. There are several ways this could help. If it doesn’t, it’s at least no worse.”

“Peg!” a slightly heavyset woman bellowed, rushing forward and enveloping her in a hug. “It’s wonderful seeing you again—now that I don’t need to worry about your being in trouble.”

“Midge?” Tabitha guessed.

“Ah, your new parents,” she observed, turning to face them while keeping an arm around Peg. “It was a tremendous ceremony unlike any I ever attended, but a hell of a lot of fun. I swear, I think I’ll try to uncover some local covens and ask them to host my next party.”

“If you can’t, try inviting a few gay, lesbian and queer folk. They’re nearly as exciting,” Bea suggested.

“I’m...”

“Tabitha, or Tabby,” she said, pointing out each of the others, “Andre, Bea, and of course, Paul.” She briefly glanced over her shoulder before whispering. “I snuck in several pies. They’re not warm, but ... you could microwave them.” She shivered at the thought. “We covered that when you wired me the money for this trip. I was eager to come, but while I survive on a waitresses’ salary, it doesn’t spare much for extravagances.”

“Nonsense,” Tabitha said. “Peg wanted you to attend, and I wasn’t sure whether your heart would withstand her bringing you on her own.”

“I’ve always wondered how she kept popping in and out, without knowing the name of the restaurant or what the street outside looked like.”

“It’s a bit ... complicated.”

“No, it’s not,” Paul contended. “Peg accesses portals, created by rips or ‘holes’ in the space/time continuum. No one else can see them, but it’s how she brought me along that one time. The holes are fairly easily understood, what’s not is her ability to access them.”

Midge nodded sagely. “Aah, I was curious what those references to holes were about, as it wasn’t clear how she used the term.” She glanced around, surveying those surrounding them. “Does anybody else know? Especially the guy in the expensive suit? If any official bodies knew, it might cause difficulties.”

“Relax,” Tabitha tittered. “The man you’re referring to is my father, and no one’s about to mention anything to him. Most of the others are either Peg’s friends, or are familiar with how ... peculiar she is.”

“It’s difficult turning on anyone as cute and lovable as our Peg,” Andre assured her, pulling Paul closer to his side.

“We surmise she has some sort of otherworldly influence that affects those around her, but ... we don’t have a clue how it operates,” Paul said.

“Now that makes more sense than the space/time holes theory,” Midge chuckled. “So,” she said, dropping her voice, “I never understood how the final incident with Frank happened. Peg explained it, but she glossed over the details. Why was he so terrified?”

“Yeah,” an older man in a cheap, nicely pressed suit with worn elbows said, joining the discussion. “I’d love to hear that too.” He turned to Midge, extending his hand. “I’m Thomas Wilks.”

“We’re proud to meet you, Detective,” Tabitha said. “Peg thinks the world of you. You certainly keep her grounded, given everything she was wrestling with.”

“We discussed it fairly extensively,” Andre said. “As she related it, conveying what the ... Separators suggested, the alternate worlds affect each other. It’s not a direct interaction, but sometimes there are ... emotional spillovers. Thus, while she didn’t directly change our reality, she did permanently scar Frank with memories of an attack he never actually suffered. Consider it a psychic nightmare, more terrifying than your most vivid fears.” He shrugged. “It’s difficult wrapping your mind around, but apparently that’s why they showed Peg her alternate self, as it indirectly affects both of their worlds.”

“You’re right, that is hard to fathom. This is all so ... peculiar, it’s hard to comprehend.”

“Still,” Wilks said, “it explains a lot. All he needed was a few nightmare memories, as it covers the rest.”

“Luckily, you’re our guest,” Tabitha reassured them. “It’s our job to help her figure these things out, though we largely just play catch up after the fact. With Peg, no one knows what’s going to change next. She keeps us guessing.”

“Though we’re hoping, with her major issues resolved, she’ll take the time to slow down and adapt, rather than pushing so relentlessly.” Andre glanced at his protégé. “It would be nice if they took time to be kids again, after everything they’ve been through.”

“It’s tough rolling back the clock,” Paul pointed out. “Once we’ve witnessed the worst the world has to offer, it’s hard closing our eyes and pretending anymore. But seeing the seething swarminess of homosexual humanity, I’d rather ignore any public intimacies, keeping my sexual life secret.”

“So, no gay pride festivities?” Detective Wilks pressed.

“Well, I may make an occasional exception, but this time I’ll stand on the sidelines, rather than parading for everyone.”

“Tabitha?” a distinguished, older woman asked.

“Pardon me,” Tabby told Midge, “this is my step-mother—the wife of the elderly gentlemen you noted before.”

“Of course, I’ll continue mingling, especially with this handsome detective. Everyone is so fascinating, it’s a delight just listening in on conversations.”

“Hello, Mother,” she said as they strolled away.

“Afternoon, dear,” she said, air kissing her cheek before pulling back. “This is the oddest group I’ve ever met. Your father is fuming. He’s not comfortable with all your old friends,” she said, glaring at Bea. “He tried speaking with the men in suits in the back, only to discover they’re liberal professors spouting the typical socialist bull. So, he’s peeved. It would help if you at least acknowledged his presence.”

“It’s wonderful seeing you again, Mom. As for Bea, I don’t turn my back on friends just because we see things differently. She has an equal stake in our house. I’m won’t throw her into the street after she helped restore it by hand. The brownstone is large enough we each have our own floor. One for Andre and me, another for Bea and ... whomever she’s seeing now, and a separate one for the kids.”

“Hmm,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Are you sure exposing impressionable children to your old lifestyle is wise?”

“Mother, you realize Paul is gay, don’t you? What you don’t is that Peg is ruthless. She single-handedly took down two different pedophile rapists, severely injuring one. Neither child is innocent, they’re more aware than either of you.”

“Please, there’s no sense being snippy, whatever their disabilities. Bragging your daughter is a hoodlum doesn’t speak well of your parenting, but ... it brings up an interesting point.” She glanced at the children as she lowered her voice. “Your guests haven’t a clue who the bride or groom are. You’ve got to admit, it’s strange.”

Tabitha giggled, everyone else chuckling. “They’re here because of Peg. They’re her friends and are eager to meet, now that we’re providing her a safe home.”

Allison’s forehead wrinkled as she furrowed her brow. “I thought they were Andre’s kids?”

“They are, sort of. He’s Paul’s uncle. He rescued him after his parents abandoned him, forcing him to live on the streets. After tracking him down, Andre took him and Peg in. They’re a package deal, and now they’re part of my family. Either accept them for who they are, or don’t bother us.”

“All right. Climb off your high horse. You’re as difficult as your damn father.”

“Mother, language please!”

“Relax,” she answered, rolling her eyes. “I’m sure they’ve heard worse. Right kids?”

“Mostly from bigots like you,” Paul said, glaring at her.

“Tabitha, are you going to let him speak to me like that?”

“I’m not about to chastise my son for acknowledging the truth. Though if you can’t keep from insulting them, I may have to keep my kids away from you.”

“You realize, if you alienate us, your father might not be inclined to continue supporting you.”

Tabitha put her hands on her hips, stepping closer to her mother. “Frankly, Dad’s been fine. He respects them. He admires those who speak up for themselves, though he didn’t seem as impressed when I dared question his sexist stereotypes. I’m beginning to think, despite your misdirection, that you’re the one pressuring him to limit contact with us. Or more specifically, with me. Peg, Paul,” she said, holding her hand out. “Let’s go visit your grandfather and see whether we can entertain him with a few stories, shall we?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.