Angel Flight - Cover

Angel Flight

Copyright© 2023 by Mark Randall

Chapter 10

Clarence Dayton’s life had not been going the way he had planned. After graduating college, he was able to get a position with the DOJ. But in the following years, his career path had stalled. Starting as a GS7, he had expected a promotion to GS8 and moving to a better and more important position. Unfortunately, that had not been the case. His work had never been substandard, but it had never been outstanding either.

He was on his computer surfing the net when his supervisor stopped at his cubicle. The supervisor cleared his throat, and Clarence scrambled to clear his computer screen.

“Yes, Sir,” he said.

The supervisor just shook his head. He had not expected any less from Clarence. “Dayton, you have a phone call. Do I have to remind you about personal phone calls on government time? So, keep it short. I also need that inventory of the supply room. By the close of business today. Today, Dayton, not tomorrow.”

“Yes, Sir. I’ll get right on that, Sir.” Clarence had to raise his voice as the supervisor was already walking away.

Clarence cleared his throat and picked up his phone. “This is Clarence Dayton. This line is unsecured. How may I help you, Sir or ma’am?” Clarence had no idea if the phones were secure or not. He had heard this phrase in a movie and thought it made him sound important.

There is a slight pause. Then, the caller spoke up. “Hello, Clarence, this is Harold, Harold Lawson.”

“Harold Lawson?” Clarence was confused.

“Yes, we went to college together. I saw you at the 10-year alumni reception.”

“Ohh Harold, how are you doing? Long time.” Clarence did not remember Harold and was still confused.

For the next 10 minutes, they exchanged small talk. But when Clarence looked up, he could see his supervisor watching him and then looking at his watch.

“Harold, it’s good to hear from you, but I’m a little pressed for time.”

“Sorry about that. Your secretary warned me to make it quick.”

It was mildly satisfying and amusing to Clarence that his supervisor had been mistaken as a secretary.

“I’ll get straight to the point. I’m afraid we might have found one of your protected witnesses.” Harold continued.

Clarence perked up at this. This might just be enough to get the promotion He’d been denied.

“Tell me everything you’ve got, Harold.” The following 15 minutes were spent discussing Kathy and Matt.

When Harold finished, Clarence sat back and thought for a moment.

“Harold, I’m not sure about this, but I need you to keep quiet about it. It would be best if you made sure that this doesn’t get out. I’ll check it out, and if anything needs to be done, I’ll take care of it.”

“Don’t worry, Clarence. I’ve already warned my people to keep their mouths shut about it.”

As Clarence was hanging up the phone, he looked up to find his supervisor standing there, his hands on his hip and a scowl on his face.

“Dayton, get on that inventory now.”

“OK, Sir. But I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it today.”

“Dayton, I’m getting tired of your excuses. If that inventory isn’t on my desk in the morning, you’ll be standing in front of the disciplinary board in the afternoon.”

Before Clarence could say anything else, his boss had turned and stomped off.

Clarence was able to complete the inventory but had to stay in the office well after his coworkers had left for the day. Because nobody was around, he was unable to bring the protected witness to anybody’s attention. Resigning himself to waiting, he resolved to talk to his supervisors and maybe even their supervisors about it. He was already anticipating his promotion and even started to fantasize about a move to Virginia.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.