For Mayhem or Madness - Cover

For Mayhem or Madness

Copyright© 2020 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 10: Enchanted Village

LESLIE WHITEMAN gave me more information than she knew. Leslie and Terry had a nineteen-year-old son at Tufts. From what I dug up, he seemed like a good kid, a natural athlete, and a smart cookie. He was studying for a BS in Decision Theory and Artificial Intelligence. Scary kid. I got that information while Leslie was showing me the folder of papers including birth and death certificates.

No matter how carefully they are raised and how smart they are, kids still feel invulnerable. Especially online. It was easier to get past the security at this major research institute than to break the WiFi password for Leslie’s computer. There’s always a priority regarding what is protected and students fall low on the ladder when compared to top secret research and university finances. Since I only wanted to read and not spoof his identity, it wasn’t difficult to take a look at his email.

As I suspected, a message had arrived from his mother soon after I left her. It was an innocuous message from mother to son except that my name was mentioned.

Bruce, your old friend Jason Sanborn stopped by to see how you are doing. He’s with some computer research company now. Wanted to know when he could visit. Expect him soon. Miss you and the old cat terribly. I love you both. Mom

Having protected his own identity, Terry Whitehead had used a classic cutout between himself and his wife. He used his son. No doubt he was also reading Bruce’s email. Bruce immediately posted a research paper that fit right in with the level a sophomore computer science student would write. The only thing that could alert a casual observer to the fact that it wasn’t one of his assignments was the fact that it listed Jason Sanborn as co-author.

A professor’s comment was attached to the paper in a few hours.

Time is getting short. We should retire this topic. I’ll take care of it.

Bruce sent an email back to his mother the next morning. It was automatically forwarded from his email account at the university to a dummy account I’d set up there.

Mom, Everything’s fine here. Research is hard but it has its rewards. It will be good to see Jason again. Hope he gets here soon. The cat’s been really sick and won’t last long. Love, Bruce.

I’d been set up. Terry Whiteman knew I was coming and expected me. The least he could have done was give me an address.


So, why all the subterfuge getting me to Thailand? I needed to get FinCEN and the FBI off my tail. I had Terry Whitehead’s digital DNA and could track him, but he was making it easy now. What I didn’t need was for the US government to swoop in and try to use him or his research. Terry had developed some pretty effective ways to erase a person from digital archives across the entire online world. In our age, erasing a person’s digital identity erased the person. Or the country. I could see how circumventing all security measures Terry could probably wipe North Korea off the map digitally. A nuclear arsenal is worthless without the guidance system and arming codes. Those things take a lot more time to rebuild than to erase.

And if Terry could do that to an enemy of the United States, he could do it to our country as well.

We already knew how interference by a foreign power could tilt the balance of American politics. Most people still didn’t believe it. But if what Jordan had told me about the Russians complaining their election was hacked by a lone wolf was true, finding Terry and protecting his secrets was even more important. The US wasn’t the only country out to get Terry. And most weren’t even as friendly as the two agents I’d spotted following me on the train. I needed to be sure Terry was safe.

Yeah. I’d been turned.

The U.S. Government had paid me to find and neutralize Hacker X. I knew the neutralizing part was being taken care of by a ravaging disease. Once I’d cracked his identity, it seemed I was being led rather than having to search. Somehow, I’d grown to suspect that Terry and I were on the same team.


I spent three days based at a little resort about five miles from the airport outside Bangkok. I’d purchased a SIM from a vendor for five hundred baht, about sixteen dollars. It gave me two hours of talk, unlimited text messaging, and a gig of data. The clerk had installed it in my new burner phone, connected it to the network, input my new phone number, and the number for English language support if I needed it. I didn’t expect to make many phone calls, but I immediately installed a map application and used the browser to search what to do in Bangkok.

My first day at the Vismaya Resort was spent mostly sleeping and trying to get past jet lag. By the time evening came, I elected to eat in the resort restaurant and spent two hundred baht on a meal so huge I couldn’t eat it all. And it was tasty. I’d always liked Thai food, but most of my experience in Seattle was with Pad Thai, a stir-fried noodle dish. Here, that was street vendor food. I ordered a spicy Thai salad with glass noodles and shrimp and a bowl of what I thought was a curry soup. Either one would have been enough food.

I took my time eating in front of the huge windows overlooking the pool. I’d been careful and didn’t think I’d been followed since Amsterdam, but I wanted to know who was around me. A couple spoke loudly at a table nearby in what I thought was German. Three older women were at a table in the corner, drinking some kind of colored liquid in a tall glass. I had to ask the waiter what it was and found it was a frozen green tea and vodka. I decided to take my Thai coffee out to the pool deck and sat to read while I observed the people taking advantage of the late evening sun on what had been a rainy day.

No one I recognized from Singapore.

The next morning, I established a routine of walking to the little store half a mile away and across from the train stop. I bought Pocky and the young woman cashier proposed to me. Of course, it wasn’t quite that easy. As I was attempting to get forty baht sorted out of my change, she talked in Thai.

“I’m sorry, I only speak English,” I said as I finally laid the coins down on the counter.

“She wants to marry you,” her equally young companion said.

“I don’t think that would work. She should find a rich American.”

“You not American?”

“No.”

“You not rich?”

“No.”

They talked between them. And I turned to leave.

“She still want to marry you.”

“Ah. No thanks.”

Rich is a relative term. I had enough money to buy Pocky. I was a farang, a white guy, and in Asia that simply meant I had money and could raise their standard of living.

When I got back to the hotel, I looked up the train routes and schedules. All the trains connected at the airport where I could link to anywhere I wanted. I still wasn’t confident that I hadn’t been followed. In the afternoon, I walked back to the store and crossed to the train stop. I kept scanning for other non-Asians of which there were a few. If I planned to have someone followed here, I would hire an Asian to do it. Maybe the clerk at the little store. Unless a Euro-American has a direct interaction with a person of an unfamiliar race or that person has some highly identifiable characteristic, there is little chance that even the most observant—including me—can pick an individual out of a crowd. It’s true whether the race is African, Asian, Indian, or Arab. Most Euro-Americans can’t tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Spotting an Asian tailing me would be impossible.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.