Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 87

“How tall is this cat?”

I was being twined ... figure eights around my legs. He was purring loudly and speaking all 998 different sounds cats make.

“Twenty two inches at the tip of the scapula ... measured sitting. Length nose to buttocks is three feet ... tail adds another 28 inches. He can levitate 8 feet 11 inches flatfooted ... straight up.” He said. “That’s measured by a laser level. He weighed 38 pounds when he jumped the fence ... he’s probably in the low 40’s now. Eat? I never seen a domesticated cat eat like that one does. But ... he eats once a day ... unless he’s pestering the black panther. They play together a lot.

“That fence is fourteen feet tall and the surveillance cameras show that he never touched it going over.

“One more test ... nobody has passed yet ... I think you might. Sit down ... on the floor.”

The cat walked up and sniffed me all over. The tom sniffed my breath ... I sniffed his ... we leaned into each other and bumped foreheads ... there was an audible spark. He curled up on my lap and presented his belly. I rubbed it. He was asleep in seconds. The huge fur ball was heavy!

“Yup, you passed. You biked?”

“Yeah.”

“How you getting him home?”

“He’s mine?”

“Yup ... never saw a cat take to a person like that before. I’d say you’ve been chosen.”

The orange and brown spotted monster began to snore.

“That’s the first time he’s done that.” The manager said. “Cats don’t snore unless they’re absolutely safe. How you getting him home?”

“I’m pretty sure he’ll run alongside as I pedal home.”

“If he was a dog ... you’d have to have him on a leash. Leashes on cats is cruelty to animals.”

“He has his shots?”

“Yup ... chipped too.”

He paused looked like he was considering something ... made up his mind and said, “This fella was somebody’s pet ... and extremely expensive ... like maybe as much as twenty grand for a four month kitten. I’d say he got too big and scary for his owner ... he can’t be more than two. Not one person claimed him ... or even posted posters looking for him. We’ll issue a bill of sale ... well ... a letter of possession.”

“I hate to move him.”

“I hate for you to move him ... all the time he’s been here he’s been on edge ... nervous like.”

I took out my phone and called Auntie Mom ... that got a look...

“Auntie mom...”

“I need you to do two things ... right now.”

“Grade them tonight...”

“I need a litter box for my new cat...”

“Stop by a Walmart and pick up a kiddie wading pool ... and 200 pounds of litter. Bring it out to the airfield.”

“No mom, not tomorrow ... now.”

“You can call it car rental.”

I pushed END.

“Well ... I’d call that done.”

“You can have the rest of his food. None of the other cats will eat it.”

I nudged him off my lap. The return of circulation was medium painful.

“Get off, you big lug.”

We went in the office ... all three of us. Him, me and the cat.

Seated at the computer, he began keyboarding. I had to answer all the stupid shit the government already knows. That was soon done.

The manager said, “What are you going to name him?”

I looked at the cat. He looked at me.

“What’s your name?”

Rowl

“Raul.”

Rowl

The manager typed in Raul

“First time for everything.” He said.

He printed the form out five times.

“One for me.”

“Sign here, here, and here. Two copies for the Licensing Bureau ... one for your records and one for Animal Control.”

“Thanks ... I’m going to miss my Bengal ... but ... Raul is going to fill that spot.”

The manager let us out the front door.

I said, “Keep up.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.