Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 80

Alice surrendered the keys and went home.

On the way out the door, she said, “Boat school in the morning ... be there.”

“It’s not done,” I said. I was referring to my cedar strip kayak ... poor thing.

“Rent one ... I know you ... as soon as the stripper is finished it’ll be in the water ... and you’ll try and I’m not going to be responsible for you drowning.”

The big problem with doors in a metal container? They SLAM.

“Umh ... Auntie Mom? You’re NOT going to like my car.”

“I won’t?” Surprise asked, “Why not? It was perfectly mannered on the way here. No tickets ... no problems.”

“Let me put it this way... 3 seconds zero to 80.”

“Tyche ... it’s a Volvo.” She added, “A Volvo ... just like my Volvo. Same year, even.”

“Only on the outside.”

So ... I had to show her.

The ‘car port’ ... can’t call it an ‘airport’ ... even if there sits the biggest two seat single engine Piston Engine aircraft Douglas Aircraft Company ever built ... can ALMOST hold a Goodyear Blimp ... Almost.

The Volvo easily fits between the Spad and the woodshop. I stopped for a moment ... if you like old Fords ... Fords of pre 1950’s vintage ... picture a 1940 two door sedan ... only 7/8ths size ... and just looked. Olaf is a beauty ... sparkly even.

I opened the door and released the hood latch ... the hood hinges at the radiator and latches at the cowl ... got out and lifted...

302 Boss ... as built.

“OH!” said Surprise, “it fits ... like it came from the factory.”

“Mom,” I call her that because she mostly raised me. “Mom. This isn’t like your Volvo. This 1969-70 302 H.O. engine was developed in 1968 for the SCCA’s Trans-Am road racing series, it’s a unique Ford small-block featuring a thin-wall casting.

“It’s different than regular 302s, 4-bolt mains, screw-in freeze plugs, higher nickel content, and cylinder heads developed for the 351Cleveland. I don’t know where the little old lady I bought it from got the engine ... but it’ll eat Corvette’s for breakfast.”

“So?”

“She’s fast ... you need to keep your foot outta the carbs. Keep your foot off the throttle and you won’t have to fill the tank at every gas station you see. It’s a six speed ... Ford Tremec T56. It would behove you to familiarize your self with it before you blaze out of here.”

“What are you going to drive?”

“My bike and ride the bus ... I’ve never gotten a license.” I said.

“You don’t drive? Why not?”

“Someone didn’t bother to teach me,” I said. “I wonder who that someone might be.” Not a question ... an accusation.

“I didn’t, did I.” Also not a question. A positive.

I heard her exclaim as she drove out of sight, “Hiyo, Silver ... Away!”

Alice popped out of her side and looked long and hard at the twin smoking black rubber tire tracks that stopped abruptly at the end of the ramp. The dust and gravel was just beginning to fall.

“OW!”

Alice gave a yelp ... looked at me and slammed her door.

My phone rang ... I knew...

“Hello, Bud.”

“Yes ... I’ll tell her.” “Charge the chipped glass and plastic to my trust...” “And the rental for the ‘chopper tomorrow.” “Next week?” Oh ... what the hell ... go ahead.”

In the morning I called the Trust ... explained ... suffered the lecture ... hung up and walked to the River School at the west end of Lorado. Alice was waiting.

“Rent!”

“Yes Ma’am.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.