Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 79

The funeral procession was led by a lone motorcyclist with an American flag mounted on the bike. Then came the Hearse and hundreds of cars following the flag covered casket on the journey from Austin to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio. The miles long procession was followed by hundreds of military veteran motorcyclists ... crowd control.

The University found an instructor within a week. A MSEM was found, (Master of Science Engineering Math ) coerced from her normal day job and installed in Campus Housing. Phone calls were made, text messages sent and we were back in class. Well versed in Mathematics, physics, construction and design.

The 10 days absence of an instructor was treated like any illness of faculty ... two days for the funeral, a ‘Temp’ ... babysitter for college kids.

On the white board was written, in cursive, “S. M. Flintkote.”

We were all seated. In an almost contrived Deep South accent she said, “Good Morning, my name, for those of you who cannot read cursive, is Surprise M. Flintkote. Anyone not supposed to be here ... get out.” Nobody moved. “Somebody catch me up with where Professor Jackson was before his unfortunate demise. Not you, Tyche.” She pronounced it ‘TI ... sh’ the rat! “Someone else ... Two?”

Two brought her forward and we were off and running.

In the Union after class, my table of classmates quizzed me.

“TI-sh? I thought you pronounced it Ty-key?”

“Ty-key is the proper pronunciation for subjects of the Commonwealth of Great Britain. I’m Australian ... Brisbane.

“She knows I hate it.”

“She knows you?”

“Yes. She’s my Aunt.”

“Your Aunt?”

“My Dad’s sister. He, Aunt Surprise and my Aunt Cynthia are triplets.”

That brought forth much discussion. When that subject was worn to a nubbin, attention shifted to Two.

“She knows you.” Not a question.

“She hired me to guard Ti ... sh.” That came with a razz berry.


We had Surprise over for dinner ... it’s the polite thing to do ... we ARE related, ya know. I had to have Alice pick her up. Between courses I had a few questions.

“Auntie Mom?”

Between Courses?

“Tyche?”

Okay, okay, okay. Between the mini tacos and the rice and beans.

“Did you drive down?”

“Why would I need your car if I drove?”

“Then ... how did you get here?”

“To Austin?”

“Yes.”

“Junior Air.”

“Where is she?”

“She dropped me off at Administration. I assume she went home.”

“Junior brought ... ah ... the watch. I could have gotten you ... if you’d called.”

“I wanted to surprise you.”

“You did.”

“You should have seen your face.”

A Surprise surprise.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.