Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 51

“Nice bike. Kona? Joe Murray designed?” That was a question I couldn’t answer. As far as I was concerned ... Murray was a cheap brand sold by Sears. They went bankrupt in 2005 ... Murray ... not Sears.

“I bought the bike because I could get just the frame ... made the way I wanted ... I bought a complete Shimano XTR frame set, DT 29er front wheel and a DT 27.5 rear.When I striped out the Campy gearset to install the XTR ... I laced the DT’s into four-cross spokes and the top of the line Rockshox is perfect for my weight. I built the thing because Verner took so long to ship my Pitts motor.” I finished with, “and ... no I don’t want a beer.”

The eyes of my inquisitor bulged and he turned away.

The statuesque blonde said, “You were a little rough on my big brother there.”

“Oops, big brother?” I blushed. “I have an excuse ... my sibs are 11 ... all three of ‘em.”

“Why were you so short...?”

“Look ... I know who I look like ... my grandmother ... and my two Aunts ... I know what my voice sounds like ... the Aunts have the same voice ... without the Australian accent I was born with. Aunt Cynthia had a serious reputation until she got married. Auntie Surprise ... Ha! Got you. Surprise is her REAL name. It’s a suthern thing ... she managed to get pregnant on a tropical island. Lost the girl when Seven ... like I said ... suthern thing ... I met a kid with the first name of Senator. We lost Seven when she turned five. I call Surprise Auntie Mom ... I’ve lived with her since I was five.”

The Blonde was looking at me like she was recording every word I said. I had the feeling she would remember.

“Tomorrow ... right after I take the last test ... Alice and I are headed for Fiji ... going to visit my parents and do a little sailing.”

“Fiji? Wait ... Flintkote ... Flintkote? Ah ... umh ... JW? National Geographic? Found a World War Two submarine?”

“Daddy,” I said with a grin.

“Ooo ... your dad is hot!”

I REALLY grinned. “He is, isn’t he.”

“You have triplet sibs and triplet cousins?”

“And Aunt Cynthiamae is breeding again.” I groused.

“Six? Huh? Breeding?”

“So daddy told me over the phone.”

“You’re flying out to visit?”

“Yup,” I cheerfully lied.

“Wish I could go.”

“Thirty six hundred and change and you can,” Alice said.

Just about then, my stomach changed the subject.

“Excuse me,” I said. I belched. “Pardon me.”

“You do realize we haven’t eaten since last night,” Alice said.

Alice flagged down a waiter and asked for a menu.

“It’s posted on the wall inside.”

“I’m not inside ... I’m outside,” Alice explained.

“Well ... go inside.” “Or read it on your phone.”

“To go inside we’ll have to lock up our bikes,” I said.

“So...”

“The rack is full,” Alice said... “I know ... we’ll lock ‘em to the chairs.”

And that wasn’t what the waiter wanted. We weren’t drinking and the place was past full ... but ... that’s what we did. Locked our bikes to the chairs AND the table.

Ah ... the smell of seared beef ... and the stench of sweaty bikers ... nothing quite like it.

Sure enough ... the menu was painted on the wall. I read the part that said, ‘Build your own burger.’

I stepped up to the counter and said, “Double Classic, add bacon, both cheeses. Grill the bun. No mustard, I want mayo. Don’t press the beef ... I want it dripping ... on wheat ... and I want two of them. With fries and two rootbeers.”

Alice said, “I’ll have the same. By any possibility do you have white vinegar?”

That got a nod.

“Good ... about a six or eight cup ... cut the vinegar half and half with water and salt the hell outta it. No Ketchup!”

“Me too,” I shouted.

The cook was writing it all down. “You’re from Pentwater.” He said.

“Yes.”

“The Antler?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll do the best I can ... but it won’t be The Wendy. I don’t have the buns.” He looked hopeful, “You going to school here?”

“I will,” I said. “In the fall.”

“Name?” He said, “For the burger.”

“Tyche Flintkote.”

“I want to order another Farr.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.