Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 31

The Scarlett:

The Verner Scarlett 7U is the newest version of 7-cylinder model of the Scarlett series. A great balance of power, weight, and size, the 7 cylinders and direct drive combine to deliver the right look, the right sound, and the right power.

The Scarlett 7U uses a carburetor attached to an impeller unit distributing fuel-air to all 7 cylinders. The engine will happily take both auto & aviation fuels. The electric starter is mounted direct to the back of the case. As with all Scarlett engines, the oil is a dry-sump gravity system with return from the lower cylinders and the bottom of the case, and ignition is controlled by computer and fired by individual coils for each cylinder. The direct drive engine has robust bearings and can effectively swing a large 86” prop at a nice low RPM range.


Sure enough ... the Scarlett pallet was outside the rollup door. I opened the walk-through door and looked for Surprise ... nope. The lights were on so I knew she was here ... somewhere.

I rolled up the rollup, found the pallet jack, slid the forks under the seven cylinder Czech built aircraft engine and jacked it up. The jack lifted the shipping pallet easily. Good! I won’t have to beg the Hispanics forklift. They always give me shit when I need help. Oh ... they do help ... but they tease.

I pulled the pallet and jack inside and pulled the door closed.

“Auntie Mom?”

I had to holler pretty loud, Surprise was in the finishing booth. Don’t even think about opening the door!

“Yes, Dear?”

“May I borrow a razor knife?”

Surprise said, “What for?”

“The Scarlett is here and it’s wrapped.”

“Top right drawer” “Clean up your mess.”

“Yes ma’am.”

I fetched the utility knife and commenced to slash and peel.

Whee! Shrink-wrap everywhere!

I opened the rollup again and lugged the debris to the small dumpster ... several trips. I got it all.

When Auntie mom says, ‘Clean up your mess,’ she means it.

I surveyed my domain ... Surprise’s domain ... I’m just borrowing the space.

The Pitts is in several pieces and they’re scattered all over the shop ... the wings are hanging from the ceiling, the empennage is on a pallet in the corner and the wheels and tires are on another pallet opposite the tail. The fuselage is on little construction rollers and it’s only six and a half feet tall.

The shop has a 19 foot ceiling. Plenty of room.

The Scarlett accessories ... tach, oil temp, oil pressure and cooler had been installed 2 years ago ... the mount came last year ... last year!

The Scarlett 7 was the last part I needed ... and it only took two years to get to me. Two years! I was beginning to think ... you don’t want to know what I was thinking.

The FAA required dual ignition cost 11 hundred extra ... on top of the 21 thousand ... and change ... plus shipping ... price of the engine.

I had it unwrapped and hanging on the engine hoist when Auntie mom came out of her finishing room and hugged me. “Flying soon?”

“Don’t kill yourself, Tyche. I’ve grown rather found of you.”

“Yes, ma’am ... I like you too.”

We gathered up a pair of chairs and sat looking at 28 thousand dollars hanging in mid air.

“Pretty, ain’t it,” I said.

“In a machined metal way ... yes ... are you going to clean it?”

“Is it dirty?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.