A Little Mystery - Cover

A Little Mystery

by Mike Kaye

Copyright© 2020 by Mike Kaye

Mystery Story: Flash story. Budget-minded traveling salesmen take a room for a night. No aliens, no ghosts. Everything is ordinary. But did something break the rules of arithmetic?

Tags: Mystery  

For all I know, this story might be fiction. But one thing is sure, if it happened at all, it had to have been more than a few years ago.

Three traveling salesmen had completed successful business in Fort Smith, Arkansas. They were not on any kind of per diem and because they were not fussy they chose to share budget motel rooms. Three guys in one motel room? Stop thinking what you are thinking. This is not that kind of story.

Their next stop was Albuquerque, New Mexico, a trip of over 700 miles. They ate a late breakfast before they left Fort Smith. They crossed the Arkansas River, got on US 40, and ate lunch in Oklahoma City. They continued west and ate dinner at the first place they found after they got hungry.

Even before dinner, the landscape had changed to high desert with an occasional bit of green. By this time they didn’t care if they were in Oklahoma, Texas or New Mexico. They continued driving west but it was getting late. Our salesmen knew they had to find a motel or something. Now all that was necessary was to find the two magic words: “Motel” and “Vacancy.”

They pulled into the parking lot. As our three guys entered the office a bell hanging on the door announced their arrival. The manager looked at them and asked, “Three guys, one room, one night?” Our salesmen nodded. “$30.” Each man gave the manager a $10 bill. He gave them the key. “Please park near your room.”

After the guys left, the manager looked at his room key collection. Mumbling to himself he said, “I made a mistake.” Then louder, “Billy, I make a mistake. That room is only $25. Take this $5 bill and return their overpayment.”

Nobody ever said Billy wasn’t smart. He put the $5 bill in his pocket and took out 5 $1 bills. He knocked on the door. “Dad made a mistake. Your room is only $25.” Then fanning the $1 bills he gave them to the man closest to the door.

“Thank you for your honesty. We will each keep $1. Please keep the $2 with our compliments.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

And that is almost the end of my silly story.

But now we have a little problem. Each man is out $9 for the room for a total cost to them of $27. Billy has $2. Simple arithmetic says: $27 plus $2 is $29. But they originally paid $30.

What happened to the other dollar?

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.