The Eighth Warden Book 3 - Cover

The Eighth Warden Book 3

Copyright© 2020 by Ivy Veritas

Chapter 26

Ellerie rubbed her temples, trying to hold back a headache. It was growing late, much later than she’d anticipated staying within the mountain, and they’d spent hours searching through rooms empty of anything other than rusted or rotting furniture and miscellaneous odds and ends.

Even an empty room was an important find to add to their knowledge of Tir Yadar, but somehow, after the giant sphere and the blue lights illuminating the animal statues, Ellerie had been expecting something more.

The latest find was the worst—a library, made obvious by the wooden bookshelves that had somehow been preserved against the ravages of time. There was enough space for tens of thousands of books, yet every shelf was empty, every book was gone. There was little debris, suggesting the contents had been carried away rather than falling to pieces, but it almost seemed like a deliberate insult that so much knowledge had eluded her grasp.

“Shall we head back?” Boktar asked her.

“We might as well. It must be after dark by now, and it’ll take us at least an hour to get back to camp. Let’s go find the others.”

“They’re on their way here now,” Leena said.

Sure enough, a voice called out, “Ellerie?” and Corec, Bobo, and Treya rounded a corner.

“We were just about to head back,” Ellerie told them.

Bobo exclaimed, “We found an armory! With weapons!”

Ellerie’s gloom lifted. “You found something? What was it like?”

Corec said, “A lot like the room we found in Tir Navis, if it hadn’t been emptied. There’s enough left to see how their army must have been organized—that’s the sort of information you’re interested in, right? And we know how to open the warded doors. Do you remember that little metal plate? All you have to do is touch it. We found one in the armory, locking away a handful of enchanted weapons.”

“Can you take me there? Leena, could you let the others know we’ll be late getting back?”

“I will,” Leena said, and disappeared.

The group made their way out of the library. They were passing by the sphere on their way to the eastern tunnel when Corec stopped.

“We should try the other door while we’re here,” he said.

Ellerie nodded and headed in that direction.

“All I have to do is touch it?” she asked.

“That’s how it worked on the other door.”

She reached the doors and pressed her fingers to the metal plate, but nothing happened.

Corec’s face fell. “I hoped it would work here, too.” He laid his palm against the plate and there was a clicking noise.

Ellerie pulled on the nearest of the doors. It swung open smoothly. The light from her lantern danced around the darkened room beyond.

“Why did it work for me and not you?” Corec asked.

“It must be the warding spell. It accepted you for some reason.”

Treya said, “The people who lived here, aren’t they the ones you think created the wardens? Maybe this area was reserved for them.”

“That makes as much sense as anything,” Bobo said.

Leena reappeared nearby, a bag slung over her shoulder. “I brought food. It’s well after dark, and I wasn’t sure how long we’d be down here.”

“Is everything all right up there?” Boktar asked.

“It’s fine. Everyone’s eaten already, and Katrin’s singing to the wagon drivers now.”

“Then we can stay down here for a while longer.”

Ellerie bit her lip, looking first through the open doorway, then to the eastern tunnel.

“I don’t know what to look at first,” she admitted.

“We can’t explore the whole city tonight,” Boktar said. “We’ll still be here tomorrow.”

She nodded. “The armory now, since we know there’s something there. We’ll try these doors tomorrow.”


Corec carefully trudged down the slope from the cave, trying not to trip. In the dark, with his arms full, he couldn’t see where he was putting his feet. The people in the camp stood to greet them.

“What’s that you’re carrying?” Marco called out, squinting.

Ellerie surrounded the camp with mage lights, then jerked her head to the side.

“Let’s go talk,” she said to Marco, and drew him away from the farmboys who’d driven the wagons.

Corec followed them, then dropped the tower shield he was carrying to the ground, propping it up against a boulder. “There’s no way anyone carried that thing into battle,” he said, trying to work out the kinks in his shoulders. “It’s too damned heavy.”

“They wouldn’t have enchanted it without a reason,” Ellerie pointed out as she laid the two arming swords next to it, still bundled in her coat. Anytime someone grasped them by the hilt, they started glowing red.

“Enchanted?” Marco asked, sounding hopeful.

“All of it; everything we brought out.”

Boktar and Nedley set the other weapons nearby, including nine arrows in a case that had enough space for twelve. The case had been propped up near the door, and Corec had missed it on his first examination of the room. The metal shirt had turned out to be mail, but made from chain links so fine they weren’t any thicker than cloth. Enchanted or not, it seemed unlikely the mail would provide much protection, but they’d brought it out with the other items.

Ellerie told Marco about their find while the rest of the group joined them. Josip stayed back with the wagon drivers, trying to distract them.

“There’s more still down there?” Marco asked when the story was over.

Corec said, “The rest of it isn’t enchanted, but it’s still in good condition. We’ll need several wagons just to haul it all with us, though.”

“I have to admit, I don’t know how to appraise magical items,” the factor said, looking over the weapons. “We usually hire a wizard by the name of Deshin for that. What do these do? Are they like your sword?”

“I don’t know. Maybe Hildra can help us look at them if we stop by Aencyr on our way back.”

Ellerie said, “There’s a lore spell in that spell book I bought in Tyrsall. If I can learn it, we won’t have to depend on Hildra.” The elven woman still seemed suspicious of any other wardens they encountered. “It won’t help us with prices, though.”

“I looked into it a bit before we left,” Bobo said. “If we find the right buyer, just one of these might pay for this entire trip.”

“Oh?” Marco said. “Not many people have that sort of money.”

“We’ll have to proceed carefully. It’s better to take time and do it right, even if that means going farther than Tyrsall.”

“I know some people down south,” Razai said. “Collectors with more money than brains. I’ve had to sell certain items in Deece before, and in Valara. And there’s a fellow in Abildgar, but it’s been a few years. I’m not sure if he’s still around.”

“I figured you’d be gone as soon as we got back to Tyrsall,” Corec said.

The demonborn woman smirked. “You owe me an eighth of a share. I’ll be gone as soon as Senshall pays out, and not a moment before.”

Sarette lifted one of the staff-spears out of the pile. “Vartus has one like this, with the metal shaft,” she said. “The museum holds onto most of the weapons from South Valley, but the stormrunners were able to requisition a few.”

“There are more below if you want one,” Corec said.

“I do. The metal shafts don’t break, and they carry a charge longer.” She rapped the butt of the spear against the ground. Jagged lines of white and blue light flickered over the weapon. Sarette swayed and grabbed Boktar’s shoulder to steady herself. “Oh! That was ... Vartus’s never felt like that.”

“Like what?” Treya asked.

“I don’t know how to explain it. It was just different than usual.” She swung the weapon back and forth, then stepped forward with a thrusting motion. “The charge isn’t fading. I like this.”

Shavala held up one of the arrows. “I’ve never seen an arrow with a metal shaft before. These are magical?”

“Yes,” Corec said. “Can you use them?”

Marco cleared his throat and stared at the two of them pointedly.

“No,” Shavala said. “They’re too long for my bow.”

“I think there were different sizes back in the main armory,” Bobo said. “Not the magical ones but the other ones.”

“There are more?”

He nodded. “A lot.”

“I will look tomorrow, then.”

“Should we all go in tomorrow, to help haul the other items out?” Marco asked.

Ellerie said, “I’d like to wait on that. There’s another warded door that Corec was able to open, but we didn’t have time to explore it tonight. Let’s start there in the morning, and then we’ll decide what to do next.”

Josip came over then. “I could hear what you were saying. The boys don’t speak trade tongue, but they’re getting curious. They saw you carrying things out of the cave. I didn’t tell them what they were.”

“For now, just tell them we found some old weapons buried in there,” Boktar said. “They already know we’re exploring the ruins, so that shouldn’t come as a surprise. We may need to offer the village something to keep folks from coming out here before we’re finished.”

Ellerie nodded. “Whatever we do, this may be our only chance to explore Tir Yadar without being disturbed, whether it’s curious villagers or other historians. We’ll have to get all of the information we need for our book before we leave. I don’t know when I’ll be able to make it back here again.”

Leena opened her mouth as if to say something, but then bit her lip and kept quiet.


Shavala poked through the debris, examining the piles of metal arrows that had been left in the armory.

“These are shorter than the others,” Katrin said, showing her several arrows. Each had a broadhead tip with four sharp, wicked-looking blades. “Are they the right size?”

Shavala took one from her and examined it. “This will work. I wonder why the different sizes, though. Did elves live here, too? Or did the Ancients just use different types of bows?”

“Corec said none of the bows survived.”

Shavala nodded. “Perhaps Ellerie will know. But I’ve never heard of anyone using metal arrows before. Even in the Storm Heights, Sarette said they only found arrowheads in the ruins.”

“Will these work?”

“I think so. The weight feels fine, and they’re perfectly straight. I’ll have to practice with them, though. Are there more?”

“Yes, this whole stack.”

Shavala pulled one of her foraging bags out of her coat pocket. “I’ll take a few dozen. See if you can find some bodkin points too.”

“What’s a bodkin point?”

“The long, thin ones,” Shavala said, and pulled one of the larger arrows from the pile she’d just been looking through. “Like this.”

In the end, they didn’t find any bodkin points among the shorter arrows, but they discovered that the arrowheads could be twisted off and replaced. Shavala removed a handful of the slender bodkin points from the longer arrows and slipped them into her bag.

When they were done, they joined the others who’d come with them to look at the armory. Sarette was leaning against a wall, holding onto the new staff-spear she’d come down to retrieve. Her eyes were closed and there was a grimace on her face.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.