The Reward - Cover

The Reward

by Harry Bolo

Copyright© 2020 by Harry Bolo

Action/Adventure Story: A teen boy adopts a grandfather with shared interest

Tags: Fiction  

Arnold was the son of a moving police officer. He lived with his father, he never knew his mother. Every few years they moved from bush to city to bush now a regional city. He was 15 and in a new suburb. As he was walking around to find his way around. An elderly man cursed, he was sitting in his garage and a part fell on the floor and he was having difficulty picking it up. Arnold went to the garage door asking “Can I help sir, O, you are building the new Lego city home. May I come in please?”

Neil replied “Yes I’ve dropped at small single one square and my claw keeps missing it. Would you mind?”

Arnold bent down and picked up the piece, handing it to him. Neil replied “Thanks, sit down if you wish.”

Arnold sat down and watch him build the city home. He asked “Do you have many Lego items sir?”

Neil looked at him “Your new around here aren’t you?”

Arnold replied “Yes sir, my father just got appointed here and we moved in a week ago. I was just walking around to see the area. Hopefully we will be here for a while.”

Neil smiled “Ah the new copper, What rank?”

Arnold looked at him “Sargent sir, how do you know?”

Neil smiled “Not much happens in this area without me knowing, I’m a retired detective. Had a stroke and spend my time watching the street and building Lego projects. Call me Neil, whats your name son?”

Arnold replied with his name. Neil continued “Well would you like to help build this project. It’s getting to the fiddly bits now?”

Arnold replied “Yes please.” He then looked at the book and got the next set of bricks out of the box ready for the build. Arnold continued to collect the next three to four brick lots whilst Neil assembled the parts. Within an hour they had finished the building. It look good.

Neil asked “Would you mind carrying in this building into my house. Don’t worry I shall leave the garage door open. I’ll show you the MOC I’m building. Inside the dining room was the Lego city building and roadways Arnold put the piece down in the only area possible. It looked good. Neil stated “I use to display my Lego but it got too much to handle on my own.” Arnold looked around the room and it was filled with Lego builds. He wandered around the room looking at them all and describing most of them. Neil asked “So you know your Lego son!”

Arnold replied “Yes, it was something easy in some places to build. We never got the sets, I just use to try and build from the few classic sets dad got me. I could always download the instructions to build as we did need to have internet access.”

“Well tomorrow I intend to build the smaller imperial destroyer, you are welcome to come around say 10ish to build with me. I would enjoy the company and I no longer have any grand kids around. Ask your dad to come around if you wish.” Neil asked.

Arnold replied “Yes sir that would be nice. See you tomorrow.” He left very happy for home.

That night he told his father about his day. As his father had afternoon shift, he went with Arnold and checked out Neil. They got on like a house on fire with many memories of their jobs. Arnold had started the build as they chatted. It took some three days to build. At the end of the school holidays Arnold registered in the local high school. He did however call around every Saturday morning when his father was working to discuss Lego with Neil. Neil got to the stage he looked forward to his visits. This went on until Arnold started university in an electrical / computer engineering degree. However where possible he always called on Neil and discuss some of his projects especially where they involved building with Lego and especially with Lego mind-storm.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.