Hope and Betrayal - Cover

Hope and Betrayal

Copyright© 2020 by Matt Moreau

Chapter 9

“Well it’s fancy enough for me,” said Anna.

“Hmm, or just about anybody,” said Lea.

“We are a little early,” said Anna.

“Okay, I don’t see that as a downside. I mean most of these rich guys don’t really cotton to be kept waiting,” said Lea. “Besides ten minutes early really isn’t early anyway.”

“Hmm, I guess,” said Anna. “You got the card?”

“Yes.” She handed it to her friend.

“There’s the maître d’. The man said to give it to him,” said Lea.

“Sir,” said Anna, as they approached the man in the dark suit. She handed him the card. “He said to give this to you.” The man took the card, glanced at it, and smiled.

“Yes, follow me please,” he said. They did.

The man stood as they approached and smiled. “Anna, Lea, glad you could make it,” he said. “Please,” he motioned them to have seats.

He raised his hand signaling someone for something. Another man in a black suit appeared almost from nowhere.

“Drinks?” he said brightly.

“Wine?” said Lea, looking over toward her friend.

“Yes, white wine,” said Anna. The man named Carlton Hanson nodded to the waiter who turned and strode off to fill the orders.

“Well, and I imagine you are wondering, the both of you, as to the who and the why,” he said. The two women nodded.

“Well, I’m single. Pearl said you, the both of you, were single. And you are both very lovely...” he started.

“She is; I’m not,” said Anna.

“Hmm, I’m going to disagree with you there, but anyway...”

“Mister Hanson, Yes, I’m single and so is Anna,” said Lea, nodding toward her friend. “But I do have a significant other.”

“Oh,” he said. “Well if you’re still single; then, you’re still available, And, I’m up for the challenge.”

“Sir, maybe this would be a good time to out myself...” started Lea.

“Wait you’re not into women ... I mean...” he said.

“No, no, nothing like that. But, well, my man—the greatest guy in the world—is in prison for, well, saving me,” said Lea.

“Oh, okay, I see. But the greatest guy in the world?” he said. “And for saving you?”

“He killed two men who were threatening me, well, and him too. So, okay, I’ve put it out there. If you want me to leave...” said Lea. The man smiled, but stayed silent for a short moment.

“I absolutely do not want you to leave. Besides, I’ve already ordered for us,” he said. “And, you Anna?”

“No, no boyfriend, husband, anyone. And no, I’m not into women,” she said. “Just work and baby sit.” She nodded toward Lea.

“You have children?” said Carlton, looking over at Lea.

“A daughter, Kari, she’s two,” she said.

“Well, okay then,” he said.

Just then the wine arrived. “Ladies, Mister Hanson, Chateau Lafite Rothschild,” said the man.

“Sounds good?” said Anna.

“Yes,” said Lea.

“It is,” said Carlton.

First glasses of wine consumed, the first course arrived, soup. Over the next while three more courses appeared and weren’t quite devoured, but they were consumed with a degree of enthusiasm, and those were followed by desert.

The man considered that the conversation over dinner was the most interesting he had engaged in in some time. And then there was a pause.

“Okay, then,” he said. “I know all about you ladies, well apparently at any rate. And you have the basics relating to me. So, what do you say to my offer?”

“It’s tempting,” said Lea.

“Yes,” said Anna. “You’re offering us double what we are making now.”

“Lea, Anna, as you say, you all stay at the same place. Your mom’s place, Lea. I’d like to meet your mom, and Kari too if that would be acceptable to you. And no, I am not in the habit of inviting ladies to dinner and then casing their homes. Really,” he said. “But the two of you intrigue me. And, I am definitely into intrigue,” he said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.