Hope and Betrayal - Cover

Hope and Betrayal

Copyright© 2020 by Matt Moreau

Chapter 23

“The date was good,” she said, and it was their fourth date. “And you can get fresh on the next one.”

“Oh-ho,” he said. “That sounds great, but I’m gonna need that in writing,” he said, and now she laughed.


“I have news,” said Lea.

“Oh?” said Carlton.

“Kari, has a boyfriend, a serious boyfriend. Oh, and he’s a college graduate. And interestingly, you know him, we all do,” she said.

“And I’m supposed to guess?” he said.

“It’s David Baker,” she said.

“My accountant!” he said.

“None other,” she said. “And I do mean it’s serious, very serious!”

“Oh my God. Well, okay, what do we do?” he said.

“Why we forbid them to marry unless he promises to make her go to college,” she said, but she was smiling.

“Yes, maybe we could apply a little pressure there. I mean her career as a bartender notwithstanding, she could do a little better with a B.A.,” he said.

“Yes, like work for her daddy,” she said.

“Stepdaddy,” he said. “We gotta get used to that one.” She was nodding, but it was not a real enthusiastic nodding.

“That man does have to lighten up. He’s got a gripe and helluva lot of gratitude coming, but...” she said.

“No, buts. You start doing that, we’re going to be in deep shit faster than light travels,” he said.

“I guess you’re right,” she said.

“You guess! The man went to prison for twenty-five years. And all he asked for was his singular fathership to be recognized by all and sundry. Because of me, and I do take the blame for that, he was denied that particular and only thing he asked of you. No, no, my dear, I’m Stepdaddy and he’s Daddy and that’s the end of it, no further discussion,” said Carlton.

“No, no, you’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking; and as for guilt, I have more than a reasonable claim to fame in that regard! No, no, you are definitely right!” she said.

“Okay then. Anything else relative to the kid and my employee?” he said.

“Well, maybe. I mean if they go to the next level and get married, who’s going to do the daddy stuff at the wedding: the aisle walk, the father daughter dance, the stuff,” she said.

“Yes, well, I do see what you mean. Of course, Kari will have to be involved with those decisions and maybe her beau, but I think we need to ask Andrew about that ‘stuff’ too,” he said. She was nodding.

“Yes, it’s going to be complicated for sure. But, hopefully not too complicated,” she said.

Hmm,” he said.


I was on the job, cleaning out the restrooms when she came up to me.

“Sarah!” I said. Well, I was surprised; she’d never been to my place of work.

“Yes, you got a few?” she said. I looked around for the boss.

“I already cleared it with him if you would be willing to talk to me,” she said.

“Okay, sure,” I said.

“I’m getting married. And You are the first to know,” she said. That surprised me.

“Okay, congratulations,” I said.

“You and Stepdad gotta share the duty. Would that be all right?” she said.

I knew what she meant. She’d couched things in such a way that it was going to be hard to say no to her. So, I made it easy on myself and didn’t say no.

“Okay, I guess,” I said. “But...”

“Yes, you meet with him and decide between you how to do things. Whatever you come up with, I’ll go along with it, and so will David, my intended.

“And yes, my stepdad does know him. David works for him. Couldn’t figure a way to get around that one. Okay, Dad?” she said. I was nodding.


I arrived at the mansion on the 15th of December. The meeting to divide up the duties, fatherly duties, of my daughter’s wedding was the point of the meeting. I had knuckled under to Sarah’s wishes, mainly because she had been so reasonable and understanding of my needs. And yes, I knew I was giving up a lot of ground in my mind, but for her; well, I loved her, and I was of the opinion that she cared about me. Did she love me as much as she likely di the did ther guy? That was a question for which I had no answer.

I buzzed the buzzer. A strange, somewhat younger woman answered the door. She was wearing what I would later discover was the maid’s uniform. I identified myself and she led me into what I immediately determined was a library’ well ten thousand books would leave anyone with that impression.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.