Hope and Betrayal - Cover

Hope and Betrayal

Copyright© 2020 by Matt Moreau

Chapter 21

A bearded guy came up to the bar and ordered a beer. Mattie served the guy and he headed outside to the patio area.

It was Mattie and Hellen handling the early shift. I knew the schedule. I was coming in three or four times a week now. Mattie and Hellen were full timers. Sarah, was only part time and worked mostly nights. They were the whole crew except for Parker, the only guy; he was the manager. He’d taken over when Sam died a couple of years back as I heard when I got out, again. Pearl did show up during the week, but it was always unscheduled and she just kind checked on things, talked to a customer or two, and then left.

Sarah came on and waved to me. We’d gotten to kinda be friends over the ten months since I’d been out and coming in fairly regular now for my after-work brews.

Sarah was behind the bar and putting some stuff away when the bearded guy came up beside me. I was at the end of the bar near where the tenders entered the back bar to do their thing.

For some reason the guy made me nervous. He moved past me toward the entrance to the back bar and pulled out a gun and fired at Sarah, who was just about to open the register just feet away from us, hitting her. I spun around and out of my seat, grabbed his gun hand. We struggled and I took a round in the head; and, as I’d find out later, one in my chest.

A couple of other customers, which was also explained to me after the fact, took the shooter down. By then I was being cared for quite enthusiastically by the EMT guys. But of course, I didn’t know about any of that immediately either.


“She’s in the hospital. Be out in a couple of days. She took a bullet in the leg or hip, not sure which,” said Carlton. Lea was beside herself.

“Who would do something like that!” she said. “When can we see them!”

“Don’t know. Some stranger was the perp. A white guy, scruffy, looked to be on something was what James’ man told me. He just pulled a gun and started shooting, no conversation, threats, anything. Probably just after cash, maybe for drugs. Who knows?” said Carlton.

“What about Andrew?” She said, her brow arching up in concern.

“He’s in a bad way. He likely saved Kari’s life. Fuck! We will never be able to make this shit up to him, none of it.

“He’s in a medically induced coma,” he said. “The doctor doesn’t know anything for sure yet, but soon.”

“Oh my God. We need to go there. I mean even if they won’t let us in...” she said.

“Okay, I mean I just came from there, but yes, okay,” he said. “And they won’t let us in. Not even to see Kari. But her maybe a little later. She’s not in a life-threatening situation, but she has lost a deal of blood, was what I was told.” Lea Hanson nodded.


“Momma, the doctor says it’ll be today,” said Kari. Lea Hanson, turned to her daughter.

“Yes, we hope so,” said Kari. “My God we do.” Her daughter nodded.

“Will he hate me, Momma?” she said.

“No, no, we won’t let him. Not a chance. He’s going to be upset, okay, but I think what you did, were doing, was a good thing. He got to know you without any baggage. Now, he’ll know that, realize it, and hopefully, appreciate it,” said Lea.

“It’s been three months, Momma. When he awakens, is he going to be okay?” said Kari.

“Yes, we will not allow anything else. He has to be okay. I demand it!” said Lea.

“Is daddy going to be here,” she said.

“Stepdaddy, reminded Lea.

“Yes, yes, Stepdaddy. I hope that makes a difference to Daddy,” said Kari.

“It will. I feel it. It will. It must,” she said.


Two nurses and a man with thick glasses and a stethoscope surrounded me. They didn’t appear overly concerned. I guess that that was good news.

“Mister Brown, nice to see you up and awake?” said the man who was clearly the doctor. Man, I was thirsty.

“Water?” I squeaked. The doctor nodded toward one of the nurses and she disappeared. I was confident that she was on a mission to secure some H2O. The doctor was looking at some papers. He handed the paperwork off to the other nurse and turned his attention back to me.

“How are you feeling?” he said.

“Just thirsty,” I said. The nurse took that moment to return with my water.

“Thanks,” I said. I’d down the whole plastic glass in one go. “That was good.” The nurse smiled and nodded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.