The Healer - Cover

The Healer

Copyright© 2020 by QM

Chapter 43

For all the beasts were not clad in Imperial ship metal, but rather the alien energy resistant nanite mix, they were very susceptible to nanite degradation due to the high frequency alternating current now flowing into our weapons and grounding through the alien bodies. This caused many of the beasts leading the charge to literally explode from the internal pressures within their own bodies. The current from our weapons would also arc across to the other beasts in the charge, causing them to fall back with a howl of agony as the Legionnaires backing us up caught them with concentrated pellet and bomblet fire.

Still, the press of their numbers soon began to push us slowly back towards the drive room where they could possibly flank us.

“Second rank, shield wall!” I ordered.

“Sir!” came the firm reply.

“Deploy clearing charge!”

“Sir, ready, sir!”

“Front rank, thrust once then back through the wall!”

With the AI controlling their movement our entire front rank thrust their polearms forwards hard before taking two steps back through our ranks, even as the shield wall closed and the clearing charge went off, sending thousands of hardened ball-bearings into the beasts, ripping them to shreds.

“Advance!” I ordered and the squad lowered their polearms and pushed forwards to re-take the ground we’d lost.

“Damn, that was impressive,” the Epilochias commented as she stood next to me, observing.

“Nature of the alien’s design. They only have a few commands built in and limited intelligence,” I replied. “Means they have no way of anticipating unusual circumstances.”

“Humanity being an unusual circumstance for them?” she asked with a grim smile showing through her currently transparent helmet.

“We’re coming to that conclusion. We appear to think outside the box far too well for their liking,” I chuckled.

“Dirty tricks?”

“Never go to a fight without them,” I laughed.

“I agree. Honour is for sport, not for war.”

“Empire is the same. The point is to win, not lose with honour.”

“Yeah, we were heading that way until the Ghangan war,” she said. “The Empire taught us differently, thank the goddess.”

“And now you’re teaching the aliens a similar lesson,” I nodded.

“Hopefully one they won’t learn from, until it’s too late,” she agreed. “Here comes another wave!”

Again, the beasts crashed against my squad’s line with similar results. For all the beasts had the numbers and the mass to push us back, they did not have the reach to close with us due to the length of our polearms and the actions of the mincer. The Legionnaires constant firing of bomblets over their heads also kept thinning their ranks, preventing them from bringing their full weight into the attack. Still, unless we were relieved, exhaustion would take its toll and so I was constantly observing the battle net to see where our relief was.

“We’re ready if you want to fall back after the next clearing charge,” the Epilochias informed me.

“Thanks. They need a break,” I replied before sending the orders out.

Again, the clearing charge did its job, though this time the entire squad stepped back through the Melanoqi line to take a break and allow me to patch up some minor wounds.


“Looks like it’s working, sir. Despite them throwing their beasts at us,” Gollant commented to Clessik.

“Yes, still costly for Ground Force though,” Clessik nodded. “Order the Fleets to advance and let’s remind these aliens that GF is the least of their problems.”

“Yes, sir! Sound general advance, all Fleets!”

The Allied Fleets, which had all been keeping their distance from the aliens after the initial strike, made a cautious advance towards the leading edge of the alien formation nearest to them and began mass firing at those ships which came into range rather than a sniper shot at the ships Ground Force and their equivalents had disabled.

“We’re now taking sustained fire,” Gollant observed.

“Target any effective alien combatants, avoid firing on any being boarded,” Clessik ordered.

“Yes, sir. Looks like they are beginning to crumble in several places.”

“Use the Heavy Fighter reserve to get in amongst them.”

“Orders sent.”


We are losing!’ the senior intelligence lamented to the observing Master.

Pull our ships back to the control fleet. We shall see how this prey copes with our power,’ the Master replied.

Orders sent, beginning retreat.’

Make them pay for their hubris in thinking they can approach us!’

Yes, Master.’

So, we face our first true defeat in remembered history?’ the conclave of Masters observed on a separate channel from the command fleet.

Of the Reelc, yes. I doubt they can defeat us so easily,’ the original Master observed. ‘Still, it is a possibility, so we must prepare well.’

And if the worst was to happen?’

We shall have our revenge, even as we go into the long night.’


“The relief column is docking,” I informed my exhausted command. “Well done, all of you.”

“Málista!” came back powerfully from the Legionnaires.

“How’s the battle as a whole going?” the Epilochias asked.

“The aliens are retreating to their command fleet, but fighting all the way if we get too close.”

“We’ve won?”

“Looks that way, this part of the battle anyway.”

“Good. Costly, but good.”

“Yeah, sorry for your losses,” I acknowledged, glancing over at the body-bags of the unlucky.

“Would have been more if you hadn’t been in command, plus you’re a Healer too.”

“Still hurts though.”

“Yeah, I get that. Same here.”

It was thirty rotations later that we were relieved, even as the Melanoqi Legionnaires doing so expanded to take and clear the rest of the ship. We said our farewells as I received orders for my squad to return to the command and control ship Gust was using.


“Well done, Kiria,” Gust greeted me after I’d ensured the squad were fed and rested.

“Good troops will get you good results,” I acknowledged with a salute.

“Yes, Fleet Engineering are full of praise though for your efforts. That’s quite an unusual ship and apparently very ancient indeed.”

“Did have a more ‘built’ feeling inside than previous ships I’ve been on,” I commented.

“Yes, plus the matter/anti-matter system is both powerful and pretty safe, even if they weren’t using its full potential.”

“A safe anti-matter containment system?”

“For given values of safe,” Gust chuckled. “Doubt Fleet would want it on any of their ships anytime soon.”

“So, what are we up to now?” I asked.

“Well, you’re relieved for half a day once the debrief is over,” he replied. “Fleet itself is now cautiously advancing towards the alien’s command fleet, mopping up any ships they encounter on their way.”

“So, we’ve won? This part of it, that is.”

“Yes. Still a hell of a lot of them though, but I doubt they’ll be terrorising the galaxy for a good long while.”

“That’s something, though I doubt they’ll go away if we ignore them, either.”

“No, I doubt they will, and they’ve shown no indication that they can be reasoned with either,” Gust nodded. “Now get some food and rest. Report back in half a day.”

“Yes, sir!” I saluted and headed for my bed.


“Looks like they are massing for a last stand,” Navarch Tissimla commented to the tri-dee conference of the various Fleet commanders.

“Agreed,” Clessik replied. “Question is, how powerful are those ships at the core and what will they do if it looks like they may lose there too?”

“A cautious approach does appear to be warranted,” Supreme Oramiral Hassat said into the silence.

“Agreed. It would be a shame to have come this far then throw it all away,” Admiral Ramantillavion replied.

“I suggest the Imperial 4th, 5th and 6th Fleets make the first approach and see just what it is they intend,” Clessik posited.

There was silence as the other Fleet commanders thought over the proposal before they gave a series of assents. The Imperial Fleets mentioned were amongst the most powerful ships they had.

“And if they prove to be beatable?” Tissimla asked.

“Then follow us in against them.”

“Very well,” Tissimla nodded.

“We’ll move off when all ships have been repaired and all our forces are back on board.”


I awoke still feeling a little light-headed, but very much refreshed. I contacted my friends and ensured they were OK, finding out that Flinn had been wounded, but had since been healed and returned to service. I then reported to Gust to see if there were any further orders.

“No further orders,” he informed me with a cheery smile after my entrance and salute. “We’re moving back to the Spitfire and will be stood down while the main Fleets advance.”

“Don’t want us to storm their command fleet?” I asked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.