The Healer - Cover

The Healer

Copyright© 2020 by QM

Chapter 37

“So Kirim’s coming out here?” Gramps Tivey chuckled. “Can’t think why,” he finished with an evil chuckle and a sly glance at Tillan.

“Oh, I think we all know why,” I sighed. “Even if she has an official reason for doing so, as well.”

“Relax, she just wants a look at and to meet her prospective son-in-law,” Gramps shrugged.

“I’m not sure we’re even at the engagement stage yet, Gramps.”

“That’s not going to stop your Mum jumping the gun.”

“I know and it was sure to happen sometime, but dammit, it’s far too soon!”

“She just wants you to be happy and thinks she’s a good judge of character,” Gramps laughed.

“I know, I know. Could be fun though, she won’t have Dad to help her sort out her clothing interests,” I chuckled.

“Clothing interests?” Tillan enquired.

“She has trouble making up her mind on what to wear if it isn’t a uniform day of some kind,” Gramps answered.

“Ah, gotcha.”

“So expect her to be late for any occasion where she has to choose,” I laughed.

“That bad?”

“Seriously bad, though my Dad doesn’t mind so much and can pressure her, if necessary.”

“That’s because he probably enjoys her prancing around semi-clothed,” Gramps replied with an uproarious laugh.

“That’s true too,” I grinned.

“I take it that mentioning it is a no, no?” Tillan asked.

“Gramps can get away with it, but we can’t,” I answered with a nod.

“Privilege of age,” Gramps chuckled.

“Just never volunteer to go clothes shopping with her,” I advised, trying hard not to burst out laughing, not that it stopped Gramps.

“I’m sure I’ll manage fine when she arrives,” Tillan replied. “Though I am looking forward to meeting your brother. I’m told he’s an amazing artist.”

“He surely is,” Gramps nodded. “An original work of his costs a lot of Royals now.”

“The Royal family have loads of them; the vast majority no one but them and my bro have seen,” I added.

“Not even you?” Tillan asked.

“Nope. They usually go straight into the Royal archive, after the family have seen them.”

“What about the ones that do get out?”

“Erm ... well, the Empress that appears in them is blonde, Aunt Manny isn’t ... blonde that is.”

“Really?” Tillan replied, looking a little shocked.

“Yep, it enables the real her to get about in society without being noticed,” I explained.

“Well I never...”

“Keep it to yourself though,” I added.

“Of course. I know fine well that letting that secret out would end in mind-wipes and a punishment pulse for me.”

“It’s not quite that bad. Amantil is a genuinely nice person and not minded to be vindictive,” Gramps explained.

“Unless you cross her,” I added with a chuckle.

“True, I guess,” Gramps laughed. “I’ve never had reason to and I don’t discuss my connections with the Squad either.”

“Best way, Gramps,” I agreed.

“Just common sense, like dealing with Officers,” he answered with a wink.

“Cruel. I know you like my friends,” I smiled.

“Yeah, you got me,” he answered with a smile himself.


The following day I was planet side on the still mostly deserted surface of Tafta, completing my Higher Command training. This basically involved me being the senior commander of a Ground Force Army facing a similar group commanded by Commander Gust.

Alongside me was Commander Lisel, who was there to evaluate me and who had warned me that going by the book was fine ... in so far as it went.

“You’re dealing with humans ... and the occasional humanoid,” she advised. “Expect things to go wrong and adapt to any and all situations. You’ll make mistakes, but do not let them get to you, otherwise you’ll fail and be required to re-take the course.”

“All the course?” I asked, swallowing nervously.

“Depends on how badly you shleck up.”

“Damn...”

“Oh, losing the battle will not fail you the course, just losing control,” she explained. “Gust has a lot more experience than you, so the chances of you winning are slim.”

“Got it.”

The requirement of the mock battle was simple enough. Advance and capture an enemy stronghold using the various units and regiments under my command. I hadn’t been told, but assumed that Gust also had forces in the field as well as in the stronghold. Hence I immediately sent out various scout groups, as well as ordering a cautious advance towards the stronghold.

“Scouts reporting contact with the enemy,” the Battle-com AI informed me.

“Ask them to discern enemy numbers, but retreat if necessary,” I ordered as I looked at where the report came from.

“Orders sent.”

‘What on Vreekoos are they up to?’ I pondered mentally as there was no real reason for Gust to have forces in that area ... that I could see anyway.

“Move another scout group and try to flank whoever is blocking the initial group,” I ordered.

“Reserve scout group is moving out,” the AI informed me.

“Continue the advance, but form up another scout group.”

“Orders sent.”

“Why another scout group?” Lisel asked.

“He may be trying to draw my attention away from any surprise planned by pulling my scouts out of position,” I replied carefully.

“I see. Carry on,” she replied, giving nothing away.

I kept the main thrust of my advance going until contact was made with the enemy ahead of the stronghold. Whereupon I ordered the lead regiment to dig in and the supporting regiment to flank them and see if we could force a retreat.

“We have lost contact with the first group of scouts,” the AI informed me.

“The second group?”

“Report no enemy found, so far.”

“Order them to approach the last reported position of the first group, carefully.”

“Orders sent.”

“Order the 3rd Regiment to advance to the right of the stronghold.”

“Orders sent.”

“Send a scout group forward to the low hills at point 352.286. Then form another scout group.”

“Orders sent. New group being formed.”

“Lot of scout groups,” Lisel commented.

“Something isn’t right. Not sure what, but I think I’m being suckered into doing something stupid,” I replied thoughtfully.

“Carry on.”

I began giving a series of orders that guided my regiments into a position where I could assault the stronghold avoiding a full-frontal assault that would lead to major casualties.

“Second scout group reporting contact with enemy,” the AI announced. “They have a small heavy weapons group under observation.”

“Heavy weapons?” I asked, as generally GF did not go in for heavy weapons of any type, that was what Fleet were for.

“Putting up tri-dee image.”

I saw a Squad of ten, all carrying what appeared to be vehicle-mountable hyperbeams, moving stealthily towards what would be the rear of my positions.

“Hmm, they could certainly do some damage if we mount a full attack,” I muttered more to myself.

“Scout group is also reporting other signs of groups having moved through the territory, though no signs of the original scout group.”

“Order the 232nd to run a security sweep through our rear areas ... a thorough one,” I ordered.

“Orders sent. Scout group at 352.286 reports occupied enemy positions.”

“Ah,” I exhaled as I thought I saw what Gust was up to.

“Ah?” Lisel asked.

“I suspect Commander Gust is setting up an ambush of some kind for when my attack goes in. Whoever he has in the hills at 352.286 will launch an attack along with that heavy weapons group ... probably more than one of them. With our attention focussed on the attack, we could be looking at serious casualties.”

“I see. Carry on.”

“232nd are coming under sustained heavy fire,” the AI warned.

“Use a regiment of the reserve to support them. Move another to reinforce the edge near those hills at 352.286,” I ordered.

“Orders sent.”

“Show me a visual of the stronghold, please.”

I was shown a tri-dee image of the stronghold ... or rather what was known of it. Deliberately designed to be tough to approach or break, including several anti-landing craft defences along with what I assumed were anti-hyperbeam groundworks. These were also designed to channel attackers into killing zones.

‘There,’ I thought, seeing a potential route straight into the heart of the stronghold ... assuming we had some heavy weapons of our own.

“AI, can we dismount the heavy weapons on our own landing craft?” I asked.

“It is possible,” came a reply after almost a rotation’s pause.

“Do so and have the lead regiment ... the 43rd, outfit their frontal assault team with them. Once done put me in contact with their sub-Commander.”

“Orders put into effect; I will let you know when they are complete.”

“Good, order the reserve regiment I placed at 352.286 to attack and pin down the units in those hills.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.