The Healer - Cover

The Healer

Copyright© 2020 by QM

Chapter 26

Tafta base was buzzing with the news of our incredible victory and the grapevine had it that the Empress herself had congratulated Admiral Clessik via tri-dee, confirmation of which came later in the day when he informed us all. Towing the alien vessel had required quite a bit of effort and manoeuvring on the part of the Fleet, but eventually the ship, and the captured alien it contained, was in orbit around the planet and studies began.

I, along with my fellow Healers and friends, was celebrating my acceptance for higher Officer training, though still had little or no idea what was involved. Nor could any of my friends help as they didn’t know either, just that it involved training with other divisions of the armed forces.

My celebrations were tempered somewhat by the knowledge that my friend Limo had been very badly injured in the battle with the second alien fleet and had needed the services of Cure Pello which had restored his body, but not his memories, from the massive head wound he’d suffered. He was being discharged from service and returned home. He could re-enlist, but what memories of me he had had, were gone.

Helping cheer me up/commiserate were Regot, Beeln and Inisir; all of whom had gained well-earned promotions to sub-Commander and probably their optimal rank in the fighting, as opposed to the support, forces. I had to admit that I was so proud of their promotions and was coming round to recognise what a special team we were. They did cheer me up by letting me know that Dorit and Denna were coming out in the second replenishment fleet along with, as I knew, Grandad Tivey.

“So, not heartbroken, Kir?” Inisir asked.

“No, just saddened. I liked Limo a lot, but the paths our careers moved on meant anything deeper than friendship would have been doomed,” I replied with a wan smile, though my emotions betrayed me with a single tear trickling down my cheek.

“I kinda see, Kiria,” Beeln replied as she gave me a cuddle.

“Yeah, he was special to you,” Inisir added. “Don’t put on such a brave face.”

“He was, but ... but I wasn’t in love with him,” I replied then began to sob.

I was immediately surrounded by my friends, including Flinn and Torun, who just held me in a group hug whilst the rest of the party went on around us.

“It’s OK to mourn, Kiria,” Flinn told me gently.

“I ... I wasn’t in love,” I sobbed “So why does it hurt so much?”

“He’s still alive...”

“But doesn’t know me and won’t know me either.”

“You mourn the loss of a friend, so it’s OK to cry, Kiria,” Torun added.

“He was one of the good ones,” Inisir nodded. “Never said much, just got on with things and you knew he had your back.”

“Yes, I’m glad he’s alive, though I will miss the Limo I knew well,” I agreed.

“Gone, but not forgotten,” Regot nodded.

“Our Limo,” Beeln said with a smile.

“Yes, best damned substitute a grav-ball side ever had,” Inisir laughed and the mood changed again and good memories were talked about.

“Yeah, he hit that centre from the Advanced Combat Training group a good one for punching you out simply because you scored.”

“Not the only one,” I giggled, looking directly at her.

“No way was I letting someone hit one of my besties,” she grinned.

“I missed most of it,” I chuckled. “Damn, he hit me hard.”

“Not as hard as Limo hit him.”

“That’s true. Damn, I’m going to miss him.”

“Aren’t we all, Kiria, aren’t we all.”


“So, finally a victory and a prisoner ... of sorts,” Amantil replied after a briefing by Grand Admiral Vuspic.

“A victory, yes, though there is much we do not understand about these creatures or their ships. Nor did we stop them laying waste to another eight worlds, Serenissima.”

“From small beginnings, Admiral...”

“Indeed yes, Serenissima.”

“The third re-supply fleet is ready?”

“Yes, Serenissima. We finally managed to complete the loading of an automated disintegration weapon manufactory divided between three super-class freighters,” Admiral Densloss of Fleet Research informed her.

“Capable of replacing weapons on all classes of ships, I presume?” Cure David asked.

“Yes, that was why we were involved in the loading, we needed to program the manufactory with certain data that is not publicly available.”

“Better than the Hegemony equipment?” Amantil asked.

“Very much so, Serenissima.”

“Good. Have the 12th and 13th Fleets been modified to carry them?”

“Yes, Serenissima, including their primary weapons, though testing and calibration will need to be completed at Tafta.”

“Thank you, Admiral. Your people have worked wonders.”

“It was your assistance with Voice of Truth Aramissa in getting the basic specifications for the weapon that swung it, Serenissima,” Densloss replied with a salute.

“Ah yes, Aramissa. She’s still intending to travel out with the small Hegemony flotilla?”

“Indeed so, Serenissima,” Justiciar Bonsarr replied.

“I’m amazed Nild let her,” Cure David chuckled.

“She’s very strong willed,” Herrick replied. “It was probably easier to give in and say yes.”

“That’s true,” Amantil chuckled. “What of the fleets of our allies?”

“They are assembled and ready, Serenissima,” Admiral Arconti replied.

“Good, I believe they’ll be needed if the reports I’ve read on the Ilmainians are to be taken into account.”

“I believe so, Serenissima. They appear to be very aggressive in their expansion attempts.”

“Their espionage attempts are worrying too,” Herrick added. “Crude as they are.”

“Do we need to send out a Trouble-shooter?” Amantil asked.

“It might be advisable.”

“Very well, consider it authorised. Just make sure they can go at short notice.”

“Imperial Trouble-shooter Tillan has indicated a readiness to travel,” Vilgra spoke up.

“Oh yes, he’s the one who broke the Larristi Cartel who were trafficking in mood enhancers to the upper level,” Amantil recalled.

“Yes, only they were so poorly made they left several dead and several severely impaired,” Cure David added. “I cured them, but they were not the same people afterwards, owing to severe memory loss.”

“He’s highly competent, but needs to go into hiding until we find the rest of the upper level members of the Cartel,” Vilgra added. “Several death threats were made and whilst they can’t really touch anyone of my level, they’re certainly capable of getting to Tillan if given the chance.”

“Yes, so I was informed by Herrick,” Amantil nodded. “Might as well put him to work if he wants to go out there,” she finished with a smile.

“Beats staying in a safe house,” Vilgra chuckled.

“Very true.”


“Take care and may your people thrive,” Admiral Hratt spoke to Vangis as he was about to board the freighter Quora and be taken to settle on the Imperial world of Tafall.

“I will and thank you and Her Serenissima for offering that world to us,” Vangis replied sincerely.

“The Florven Technocracy also wishes you and your people well,” Director Elloson added.

“Take care of our former worlds for us,” Vangis replied with a smile.

“We shall. You’ll also be able to see what we do with them as I believe the Empire intends to maintain their link to us.”

“We do ... You have a high proportion of useful minerals that are in scarce supply in our small corner of the galaxy,” Hratt explained.

“And we’ll offer you a fair price for them in technology sales,” Taisha added.

“Assuming we survive this onslaught,” Elloson noted.

“Defeating one of their fleets indicates we will,” she replied.

“Let us hope so.”


Our third fleet has still not reported in,’ a communication intelligence reported to the masters.

Most disturbing. Prepare a scout. We must investigate,’ one of the angelic looking masters replied.

As you command.’

Do you think the original prey have found a way to defeat a fleet?’ the senior master asked the leadership.

Unlikely as it seems, we should consider the possibility,’ one of the lesser creations replied, gaining consensus from the others. ‘We do know they tracked down our harvest after we withdrew from their hunting grounds.’

Indeed so,’ the senior conceded.

Should we move on again?’ another of the intelligences asked.

No, they have proven they can track us,’ the senior replied. ‘We should prepare an attack fleet to teach them that we are supreme.’

A wild hunt, yes!’


“We have a request to receive an envoy from the Ilmainian Kingdom,” the AI informed Taisha as she went over the various reports from all aspects of the Empire’s expeditionary force.

“Fine, when and where?”

“They are waiting at the outer planet of this system and will only approach when permission is given.”

“Why is that?”

“It is their way, according to the Technocracy; they only do this when a state of hostility exists between Realms.”

“Odd, normally they could just comm us, but grant them permission to approach. In the meantime, inform the Admirals as well as Director Elloson to greet this envoy.”

“At once, Taisha.”

‘Games within games,’ Taisha mentally sighed as she wondered just what it was the Kingdom of Ilmaine wanted.

Several hundred rotations later Taisha was waiting amongst a small group of ‘dignitaries’ to greet envoy Kubbe of Ilmaine and see what they wanted. Leading the group was Director Elloson as the newly appointed representative of the Technocracy of the former Trenocian zone and his senior staff. Taisha stood with Admirals Hratt and Tret, representing the Empire, which currently guaranteed the Technocracy’s security of the zone whilst they prepared a series of colonisation fleets to take over the mostly intact infrastructure of those planets.

“Shuttle has docked,” the AI informed the Imperials. “Hangar doors opening.”

“Greetings, Envoy Kubbe. Welcome to Tafta Station,” Elloson greeted the man and his party, the AIs doing the translation.

“Greetings, and you are?”

“Forgive me. I am Director Elloson of the Florven Technocracy and Viceroy of the former Trenocian zone.”

“I am Kubbe, Gukong of the Perreine system and the Envoy of the Supreme King Rentap of the Ilmainian Kingdom.”

“May I introduce Meritocrat Taisha representing the Vreekoosian Empire and the guarantor of the security of former Trenocian worlds,” Elloson replied, indicating the Imperial party.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.