Axeman - Cover

Axeman

Copyright© 2020 by Shaddoth

Chapter 27

I sat gingerly and waited until Kate returned from class. I was not clear enough. I should have asked Francis for healing in the White Room.

Or on the way home. I’m such an idiot sometimes. Jude wasn’t all that happy with me either. For that reason and lots of other reasons.

“Kate. Can you please heal me?”

“You soloed a Death Knight?”

“Skeletal Knight. I don’t want to meet the Death version any time soon. No thanks.”

“At least you aren’t completely dumb. Take it off.” Frowning at my now bare chest, she began casting. My cuts and bruises weren’t small. Or few. The main one diagonally across my ribs was particularly ugly. His slash across my chest had broken four plates, cut my skin, and chipped at least one rib.

“Edna, said you called a mandatory meeting. I have class at 9:00 can you just tell me now?” she asked while pouring mana into me.

“You’ll find out after if you can’t make it, but I would really like everyone, including you to be there. Especially you.”

“This has something to do with me?”

“Remember that something I have, for you when you hit fifth?”

“How can I forget.”

“I think they are all interlinked for you. Maybe a few others too.”

“Okay. Be mysterious. I’ll call my professor.”

...

Koz called and said she was stuck in a cab on the way from the airport saying she would be late.

We waited. Not everyone was pleased at the wait or with me. Koz wasn’t the only one who had to cancel something or rush to make it on time to my emergency and mandatory meeting.

She, too, arrived wearing a black mesh overshirt. Surprisingly similar to Jude’s and Toffs, but with a metallic sheen. Not a real surprise there. Her prominent mounds caught the attention of a few of the guys.

Tight chainmail minidresses seemed to be all the rage. Even if Ed’s was the only one that could be worn in public without anything else. The rest of theirs were too short.

“Sorry for being late. What’s the rush?” Koz had come straight from the airport, her carryon bags were parked in the entrance of Beau’s foyer.

“This is everyone, Jason.” Heather was snappy. She had to bow out of a multi-state conference-call regarding the arena death-match coming up in a week or so.

“Classes exist.”

“Woah!” Nat’s overboard reaction wasn’t at all out of place. I felt the same when I found out. I knew others did too.

“What did you get?” Heather asked before anyone else did. It was obvious that I had a new one, since I confirmed their existence aloud.

“I’m no longer an Axeman. I’m a Knight.”

“You got that from soloing the Death Knight?” Mar asked.

“I seriously doubt that he was a Death Knight. His only Spell that I saw was one that enhanced his sword for improved knockback and it only lasted a couple of attacks before dissipating.”

Cait had been itching to tell the tale of my fight, she got the table’s attention and gave an excellent, if exaggerated, recounting.

I refused to be embarrassed by her over-the-top retelling. “If I had to guess; I bet he is Level 6: a 12 strength, 7 agility, 10 Endurance and a 4 in Greatsword. His armor was stronger than anything we have; a DR of 4 maybe 5. You will need at least two Ranks in Armor Piercing or maybe three to get through it. I have three and a heavy weapon and I wasn’t really fighting to test him. We were fairly equal out there. His horse gave him a big advantage. He was stronger and tougher while on it. So, you definitely want to get him off that thing as soon as possible.”

“The horse had heavier armor than he did. Its head and legs are weak spots but the upper areas were covered by thick armor plates. The rest, I wouldn’t even bother attacking.”

“Just because he accepted my offer of a duel, doesn’t mean any of the others will. I might have fulfilled some archaic criteria that no one else has, or maybe everyone can get them to duel. Maybe he was an aberration or maybe they are all like him. I just don’t know. We didn’t speak the same language.”

We discussed the possibility of others getting into duels.

“What did you get from it?” My Class Jude meant.

“I’m Level 1 again. Maybe because Knight is a higher tiered class. But my experience needed for the next Level returned to five k. Who knows, and overall Level 7, might need five k experience, just like six. Koz, is there anyone Level 6 out there?”

“I can find out. I think the Rangers have a couple. Probably Delta too. The top Seal teams and the Marine teams, I can’t talk about.”

“That’s fine. See what you can get, no hurry. It doesn’t change anything either way.” I took a drink of my Coke, “Class changes are a choice. I got a pop-up window when I opened Status in the White room. It asked if I wanted to change classes, Y or N. I chose Y.”

“What else did you get?” Jude asked.

“Status change to Knight and I get a ton of bonuses while mounted on an affiliated Mount. Whatever that is. My hp went up a little and I unlocked a ton of knight-related Skills, like Mounted combat, heavy plate armor and Ancient Knight weapons. The last one, I’m not sure what it can do. I think that is in the future. Maybe way in the future.

“The Attribute bonuses increase as I Level; a plus of one per five Levels, it’s a very slow progression.

“I also have ‘Mount’ listed with an ‘N/A’, not available,” I continued. “That could mean that I just don’t have one, or I am not allowed to have one yet.

“I don’t have enough information, and I don’t want to make a mistake on bonding the wrong mount. There are two more very important things to take note of; one, improving an Attribute from 10 to 11 costs four points, from 11 further it is 2 points. Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know.”

“Why, Jason?” was asked by half the table...

I ignored them. “The other is Secondary Attribute Skills are three Status points for the first to second rank. Going from two to three is six Status Points, after that, I don’t know.”

“What did you increase?”

“Damage resistance from 1 to 2. That cost me three points.” I let that sink in. a DR of 3 was full Kevlar. Something we all wanted, but Attribute points were too scarce just to be placed anywhere.

“Remember, I have had all my caps and limits removed. It may or may not work on you. You might need to Level up higher to increase your secondaries, or you might not.”

‘Cheater!’ And other derogatory remarks were flung at me.

“Back to the topic of classes; we might want to be careful and not just take anything that pops up. There might be better ones for us later. I liked the feeling of fighting that knight. I accepted it based on feelings. I hope I didn’t make a mistake and don’t believe I did.

“That brings me to Kate.” All eyes focused on our primary Healer.

“Me? What did I do? I don’t have a class.”

I pulled out the present I had been saving for her. “The synergy with Bless is too great for me to even remotely consider giving it to anyone else. No offense, Francis, you are more of a combat medic.” Tapping the book, “Holy Raiment, is more up Kate’s alley than yours.”

“Keep that evil thing away from me.” Even though he made a cross and jested, no one could help but think that his words rang true.

“Kate, if you take this, I believe you will get a class option right away. Or maybe by filling out a requirement or three. I think you should consider if that is the direction you want to go.”

“What does the Spell do?” Jude asked for her.

“I don’t meet the requirements. You need to be Level 5 and a Healer to read the description.” I even looked at the Store list again to see if I could purchase something that would let me get a better reading of the Spell. The basic Identify scroll did not do anything when I tried.

“Can just having the Spellbook, be enough to unlock a class?” DB asked.

“No clue.”

“Jason, can I have that?”

I slid it over to Kate. If what I suspected were true, her Class path just became one similar to Saintess, similar to the adventure games on the console. Dedicated to healing, protection, purification, and buffing.

I noted my thoughts aloud.

DB, a fanatic game player, elaborated further for us on how they were portrayed in the games he played.

Kate liked what she heard.

“Like my Knight class, I think your first class will be a stepping stone. It might or might not branch out from there.”

Jason!“ Ed calling my name aloud like that was laden with hidden danger.

“Yes???” I shrunk in my seat.

“Where did you get that book? It sounds like an advanced Skill.” I was afraid Ed or Heather would ask that question.

“You mean like his...” Austin slapped the big-mouthed Beau, quite hard, to shut him up so he didn’t finish his sentence.

“Same place,” I admitted.

“Are you hiding any others like that?”

I held up two fingers with one hand and a finger over my lips with the other.

“What are you afraid of dude?” That was from Matt.

“I don’t know what I don’t know.”

“That’s fair.” Koz spoke for the first time since the classes were brought up.

“What are you waiting for? Those Skills are damn powerful.” Toff asked. I thought he understood why, he wanted either conformation or for me to share my thoughts.

“One isn’t a Skill, the other I’m waiting for a sign.” Caitlin was settling down. I just needed a little more from her. There was a reason I was so adamant about her joining us and feeding her every curse I could find and it wasn’t just because she was a Dark Mage.

“Like Kate and her Bless and to see if she would mesh with the Holy Robe thing?” Beau wasn’t an idiot, even if he did like to goof off like one.

“Yes.”

“I’m sure as hell glad you got them,” he stated.

“Slacker.” I replied. Of the new guys, I got along with Beau the best. His humor and understanding coincided with mine too often not to like the big guy.

“Damn Skippy.”

“Anything else, Jason?” Ed interrupted our fun.

“Nope, just that everyone should consider how their style is being played out if you get a class that doesn’t mesh. Strongly consider turning it down even if it looks good. Take Heather for example. If she got a class that doesn’t let her burn the world down,” I didn’t duck fast enough and the balled-up paper hit me in the head, “She should reject it. Same with Caitlin, who likes to curse her opponents or Nat who likes to fight up close.”

“I can get Class stuff from games online and spread how games make and deal with a variety of classes and pass them around.” DB volunteered his time.

“That works DB. See if you can get a few that are tailored to everyone’s fighting style. Do the whole thirty questions with each of us.”

“Cool. Babe, want to help out? You would make a bitchin’ Witch Doctor.”

“Do not expect a fake Dominican accent from me, Donald.”

He winced hard at Cait’s ultimatum.

“Heather, Kate, Jude, Koz, Toff, and I are going to do a Violet level five, Monday,” Ed announced to the world.

That was a death level. And we all knew it.

“That’s why you rushed for the shirts,” Nat guessed, correctly, it seemed.

“The Blue Gate that we used with Jason is off-limits, unless Jason is with you.”

“Do you think he mutates Portals?” Koz asked.

“Only if a team member that entered it once with him does so again. I’m just playing it safe,” Ed responded.

“You! No soloing that Gate. Make sure others are with you If you go.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“You’d better.”

“I promise.” Ed held my gaze to reinforce her decree.

Marshawn remained after we broke up for the morning, to speak with me in private.

“Jase, any hints or tricks on getting that Knight Class?”

I passed over the helmet from my inventory that I got off of one of the armored Skeletons. I seldom used it and didn’t know why I did so against the Knight, but I couldn’t discount it helping others get the same class as I did.

“I wore this and followed the rules of a joust. He jousted until he fell off his horse. I waited for him to get back on his feet. We fought for a while until he called his horse and remounted. Watch out for his knockback spell. It will put you on your ass and can knock your weapon out of your hands if you aren’t ready.”

I paused, considering, “Let’s see. Once he remounted, it was a fight to the death. Just treat him like an honorable foe. Like King Arthur.”

“What about taking him back to his tomb?” Caitlin really over-embellished that part of the tale, I was not glowing white with a halo.

“That was me showing respect. I don’t think it makes a difference, but it might. If you are respectful, you should be good. And honorable. And you mean it. If you don’t mean it, then who knows what will happen?”

“Thanks. I’m not at your Level yet, but I have a goal now.”

“Good luck, Mar.” We shook on it.

I was still too beat up to work out, so I headed back home. Ed and her team were practicing teamwork in their new mail shirts.

Kate was in my car waiting for me.

“Heya.”

Nervously, she replied “Hi.”

“Worried?”

“I’m not holy or anything.”

“Katie. You are a very good person. Conscientious, caring, and dedicated. You always wanted to be a nurse. It was not because of the money was it?”

“No. I want to help people.”

“All of those nuns out there. They signed up not only because they believe in God, but to help people. Go online and see what nurses and nuns do. I’ve watched plenty of WW II movies. You always saw nuns in hospitals caring for the injured. Sure, some nuns live their lives in prayer. Not all of them do though.”

“If you don’t like any of the churches, don’t follow any. God is God. I doubt he cares which house you worship in. He just wants you to be a good person, and everything I know about you says that you are a good person.”

“I’m not that good.” She replied in a small voice.

“I think you are. Your friends all think you are. Anyone that wants to dedicate their lives to helping and healing, can not be bad.”

“That doesn’t mean I am good. Look at Jude’s mom.”

“She may be like that now. She may have been a decent person when she was younger.”

“I don’t know.” She was fighting the Saintess part, not the abilities.

“There is also the fact that Jude’s mom is not you. Just like there are bad priests, cops, or firemen, there are good ones too. Can you be a good nurse?”

“I hope so.”

“The Holy Raiment is probably a protection spell. You want to protect your friends, don’t you?”

“Yeah.”

“Then go for it. If you don’t like the classes in the future, go in a different direction.”

“Thanks, Jason.” I received a kiss on the cheek before she dashed off.

...

That Friday night the gang all assembled to hit the bar, except for Toff who went to see his brother’s family for the holiday. With a large area reserved for us, Beau, being Beau again, snagged a second-floor VIP section and a side door entrance. That was important since it allowed the Fearsome Four unchecked admittance to the 21-and-older establishment.

The girls were thrilled. Heather, not so much, as she was a Fed and they were all clearly underage. Not that anyone cared as long as they behaved themselves.

All of the women were dressed to kill. Ed and Koz were stellar. Ed was truly Stellar. No slighting Koz, she was close, just that the way Edna’s eyes sparkled and those lips smiled at me, were a cut above.

Dancing, drinking, and fun was had by all. I was torn in four directions. A few of us noted Jude and Austin spending some extra time together on the dance floor. By mutual silent agreement, no one commented. Mar did offer a private toast to the couple when they weren’t looking.

Bornko’s Dance Hall was a blast. No way in hell would I get my college friends here. Well, maybe I could; the eye candy was over the top. And not just the two that monopolized me all night.

Kate wasn’t sure what to make of it. Nat was oblivious, since she and Matt spent the whole evening dancing, drinking and mingling as a couple. She was in heaven when he introduced her with the title of girlfriend to some of the Bears, whose training camp had officially ended and were awaiting Thursday’s season’s start. Those that he was acquainted with all stopped by in their bar-hopping expedition and were treated well.

I wasn’t huge on dancing, but seeing Koz and Ed go at it at the same time changed my mind. Both wore skimpy dresses, Koz in a little silver thing and Edna in a few finger lengths longer, tight, black, fitted sleeveless dress. Pretty girls moving in ways heretofore unseen, with a body control that normal humans could not touch, drew a crowd.

The guys took turns with me on making sure that everyone kept their hands to themselves.

Kate was disgruntled. She had never danced before. Heather just didn’t. Some mumbling happened when the two used me as their pole after their first trip downstairs.

The two women, fully made up, were over the top in terms of looks and sexiness. Our second trip down to the main floor was devastating to the club’s patrons.

They had been using me as their personal dance toy for a while and people, guys, kept trying to get close to them. They had enough.

“Spread your right arm out and angle your left arm up above your head, big guy.” Koz demanded after a fairly intensive ‘Jason Pole’ competition between the two.

“Palm flat, Jason. And don’t you dare look up,” Ed warned, complete with sharp edges.

One-handed vaulting up, Ed used my arm as a beam to dance on. When she helped Koz up and above, I felt like a fool.

“Am I a cat’s playhouse?” Neither answered, not that I expected them to.

Koz only stayed up for a minute or two before I was instructed to change position. I knew that I would have spike marks from her pearly four-inch heels.

“Both arms flat out.” Yes, Ma’am.

I became their stage for ten minutes, which felt like five hours.

And I wasn’t allowed to watch, which was a crime.

They both rewarded me with a kiss, neither short. Both lingering. That made up for me not being able to look.

Some.

Oddly, they were given more room after their little exhibition than before.

I’m not very bright, sometimes.

And those kisses rocked me hard.

Beau, even with his arm in a sling, and I were dragged in with them on the third trip. He joined them all too willingly. I even received lessons mid-floor, mostly from Koz. But after eleven, I was not allowed to leave their presence for the rest of the evening.

Not that I wanted to.

Learning to dance with superhuman strength and an agility equal to the highest Olympic ability felt wrong for all those other poor saps out there. I could do things no one else could.

And I never got tired.

Neither did my two instructors. Beau did. And was shooed off when his arm started acting up.

At twelve-thirty, Koz took Ed and I by the hand and returned upstairs. After a gallon of water each, everyone was dragged to the main dance floor. Kate was reluctant, as she was afraid to look like a fool. Heather had other issues. She was quite subdued in her dancing, but did join us in her much more modest outfit and loosened up a little as the night continued to wear on.

Kate never got comfortable, and I felt she only stayed on the floor because there was no one to talk to in our seating section, and she didn’t want to sit alone. Her resisting any and all attempts at dance lessons didn’t help at all.

I hadn’t mentioned DB and Caitlin. To no one’s surprise, he was not allowed to leave her presence or dance with anyone other than our group (and under her direct supervision).

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.