A Stones Glow Away - Cover

A Stones Glow Away

Copyright© 2020 by Tamalain

Chapter 9

Ledger, Brena, and Andrew sat quietly in the common room of the Rusty Shovel Inn and Tavern. They had been quietly discussing the upcoming trip across the continent over a light tea. They had concluded that the ale and beer here were to be avoided at all costs.

“Brena,” said Ledger. “Whatever those leaves happened to be, keep a good supply of them for the trip. I may not need them, but others might.” He sipped his tea and grimaced. “That ale messed my taste up. Nothing taste good right now,” he set his cup down and stared at it sadly.

“I’m glad they helped. Your taste should clear up in another day. The curative effects are to blame, but you will be fine.” She sipped her tea and sighed, it was a good blend. “The plants are common around here and are used as a curative for sour stomachs and sore heads, I have other uses for them though. They can be mixed as a rather nasty poison if you know the ways of it, very nasty.” She gave him a look that sent a shiver up and down his spine, “One that will make you wish you had a hangover before it kills you.”

“Remind me to never make you angry with me Brena,” said Ledger, he tried to smaile as he said it, but it came out rather weak in his opinion.

“Oh don’t worry kid, you will most certainly know if I am upset with you,” said Brena. She fingered her small dagger that was just visible in the bodice of her tunic between her ample breasts. She had decided to start wearing it there as a warning to any man with wandering hands.

Andrew had, as he always did, sat with his back to a corner so he could keep an eye on the room and anybody coming in. He took note of a pair of older teens as they entered from the street. His warning instincts kicked in but were quickly suppressed from outside, making it hard for him to think. The boy seemed distracted and he held a short, oddly shaped staff. The girl, on the other hand, she had the look of a hunting big cat. Her demeanor was not a pleasant sight and it set his senses on high alert. She looked around the dimly lit room as her eyes adjusted and froze on their table. A sneer grew on her lips and she spoke loud enough for everybody in the room to hear her.

“I warned you rat,” she said loudly. “I told you I would find you and destroy anybody and anything you had come to like,” she said. Her utter disdain for everybody else flowed across the room like a cold wave, sending shivers up and down spines. “And now, once again, I have found you, and I will destroy everybody here for being stupid enough to like you.” This caused a sudden stir around the room and weapons started to be drawn slowly. The patrons all tried to react, but moved slowly, as if they were being held in a thick jell.

Ledger froze in his seat and started to whisper, “No more, never again.” He stood and turned to face his sister and brother. He could see that Sandar was moving the staff of control in a pattern that had activated it. He felt the effect and dismissed it. He had discovered he could not be controlled if he was on guard, and he was as soon as they walked in. He reached back behind himself and found the hands of his friends. He could tell the effect had taken hold on their minds, along with everybody else in the room. He let them go for a second, pulled out several blank stones from his pants pocket, he now always had a few loose stones on him at all times in case of emergency, and this qualified as an emergency in his mind.

Before he had learned to use his ability in any meaningful way, he found he could feel enchantments in objects. He had studied the staff a few times even though his mother had told him not too, so he knew how to counter its power over others. He activated the stones with the mind clearing effect he wanted, then pushed them into the frozen hands of his friends. They blinked, shuddered after a few seconds as the enchantment on them washed away, freeing them. The rest in the common room would remain frozen until he destroyed the staff.

Brecka had seen and felt what Ledger was doing and screamed at him to stop. He had ignored her and that sent her into an even deeper rage, her face turning a deep purple, mouth frothing, eyes wild with unbridled hatred. “I swore I would kill them all, and I will start with him!” She screamed, charging at Andrew while pulling a large dagger out of a sheath at her side, holding it over her head to strike at his eyes as she closed with him.

Andrew reacted as his training and practice on his journey kicked in. He stood, his balance moving him to the side away from the table to give him room to move if needed, drawing his sword in a single motion. He bought it up to the level of the throat of the charging attacker. Brecka was not so blinded yet by her rage, nor such a fool and managed to stumble to a stop before she impaled herself on the raised blade. She froze when she looked down and saw the blade tip now rested near her throat, not quite touching. The smallest twitch would have her bleeding out in seconds. The sword whispered to him, “Careful master, she can be dangerous.”

“Not as dangerous as me,” thought Andrew back at the sword. He pointed to the side for her to move to a chair, she did not move, just glared at him with utter hatred and disdain.

Sandar had charged Brena, thinking she would be the easier one to take on. In his mind, he envisioned her as a play toy until he tired of her. Just as he came into grabbing range, Brena shifted her weight to one side and spun out of his reach, pulling the dagger from her bodice. Sandar wasn’t able to stop his charge and plowed into the table. Brena grabbed his head by the hair, slamming his face down and he felt his nose crushed on the hardwood of the table. Then his right arm was pulled up and back, then twisted in such a way that all he knew was blinding pain. He had tried to bring the staff around with his free hand as he was pulled up by his hair. He stopped when he felt the tip of a dagger resting behind his right ear, ready to be shoved into his skull if he flinched too hard.

“No Sandar,” said Ledger, “You are worthless murderer of girls. Not this time, never again,” said Ledger in a voice Sandar had never heard the boy use before. He leaned over and whispered, “That little girl you raped and killed last year was a good girl and a friend.” Ledger grabbed the staff from Sandar’s shaking hands and he felt for the enchantment ingrained it. “Time to pay for your crimes against them all, and most especially for how you murdered our mother you monster.”

Ledger examined the staff was surprised to discover this was a copy of a copy of the original staff and was already close to failure. He brought it down point first onto the table and pushed the raw weave energy into it. He used heat energy to destroy it. The wood of the staff started smoking and soon fell to ash as Ledger released it. The gemstone sparkled as the heat built up and in a few seconds it cracked and shattered into a fine dust.

The level of power he used sent a pulse out across the city that anybody that could feel the power of the weave would feel. With the staff destroyed, everybody that had been captured by it was freed instantly. All the victims of the two suddenly were very upset with what had been done to them. Brecka had tried to scoot away from Andrew. He followed her and waggled a finger at her that she was not being a good girl and following instructions. He touched the blade tip to her throat for a second to drive home the point and she froze in place at what she had felt in that brief instant of contact. Andrew had warned the sword not to draw her blood, so she continued to live. She had felt the power of the weapon as it touched her. She didn’t know what it was, but she decided she would try to take control of the sword. As soon as she tried though, her mind went blank and she sagged to her knees, a blind pain burning through her mind.

“Master, she just attempted to take and copy me,” said the sword in Andrew’s mind. It sounded insulted that she had even tried.

“And?” he thought back at it, looking at the girl on the floor. She wasn’t moving, but he could see she was still breathing.

“She is going to have one nasty headache for the next month should she live that long,” replied the sword. “Master, there is something very wrong in her mind, it has been bent and twisted from without.”

“We can’t worry about that right now,” thought Andrew back to the sword.

Looking at the girl, he spoke in a tone that would brook no backtalk or resistance. She started to stir and moan in pain after a few more seconds. “Girl, I don’t like it when somebody just walks in, starts issuing threats and charges me with a blade.” He moved his sword across her forehead, slicing off a lock of her hair. “Bad things tend to happen to the foolish person that tries it. As to your futile attempt the influence my weapon,” he smiled coldly, “It is not a thing, it is a living being and cannot be harmed by the pitiful power you seem to have. Not even your brother can harm it, and he is the most powerful enchanter on Gardallen presently. He can leave craters with a touch of a finger and he, can’t, touch, this.” Andrew waved the sword at her and slit the top of her tunic, cutting the tie strings away so it fell open. She covered herself and pulled the cut fabric back up. “That will keep your hands busy for a while I should think.” His grin had no humor, just anger and disdain.

Brecka glared back at Andrew. She held her top up, then turned to see Sandar being held to the table by a young woman in a black suit of what appeared to be silk and cotton. Her glare turned to absolute hatred when she looked at Ledger. “So you have found a few bodyguards you weak little shit,” she snarled. She resisted the urge to cry out in pain as the promised headache kicked in, in full blinding force.

Ledger looked at her, looked her in the eyes seeing only madness, spoke in a sad voice. “At one time you were my sister and I loved you as such.” He felt a tear form in one eye, but blinked it away. “You managed to destroy that in one cold and callous action Brecka.” He reached down and grabbed her by her hair, pulling her face up to look her in the eyes more fully. “You killed a frog Brecka, a simple innocent frog, all just because I was enjoying watching it go about its life. You killed an innocent child that day Brecka Fireham. I do not consider you to be my sister any longer. You are a cancer on Gardallen, Brecka. The kind of disease that must be eradicated as soon as it is discovered for the good of all.” He dropped her head and it bounced slightly as she fell back to the floor. “I will leave the real punishment to those in power for your crimes. You have harmed this city and must pay for your crimes.”

Brecka struggled to sit up, but was held at bay by the point of the sword Andrew held. “Fuck you rat, nobody ever stands against me. I will destroy you!” she screamed, rolling to the side away from the sword, dragging herself to her feet to charge at Ledger before Andrew could stop her. Not caring about her top, she let it fall and tried to rake her nails at Ledger’s face. He reached out and caught her hands. As soon as they touched, she tried to use her small copy talent against Ledger. With a thought, he found her links to the weave. They were small and thin in his mind. He reached out to them and cut several loose from her mind, leving onlty the thread that gave life in place. Brecka froze for an instant, then fell to the floor holding her head, screaming in agony. She flopped around, arms and legs flailing in every direction. As she slammed herself around, her arms smashed into a nearby table and it was her arms that shattered, not the table.

Ledger watched and knew there wasn’t anything he could do to stop her from killing herself in her mindless agony. The pain from the separation from the weave had destroyed what little was left of her sanity. Once she was down, Andrew put away his sword and went over to check on Brena. “I see you have him under control,” he said grinning.

Brena gave back a savage smile, “His attack was clumsy and slow. His mind is a wreck, not as bad as hers, mind you, but still a wreck.”

“I say we should hand them over to the city guard to be dealt with,” said Andrew.

“Might be for the best,” she agreed. “What do we do about her though?” She pointed at the thrashing woman on the floor.

“Leave her for the guards as well,” he said. Sandar was weeping now, begging for forgiveness. He didn’t struggle as Brena shoved him into a chair.

Ledger stood over the twitching form on the floor, tears flowing. “I’m so sorry Brecka, you left me no choice.” He righted the chair he had been sitting in and sat down. He had his back to the door so he didn’t see Baron and Minda looking in the window at them.

Andrew did see them and wondered who they might be. He had grown familiar with most of the locals in the last week. He stood and said, “I’ll be back in a few minutes, I have some pending business to complete.” Andrew stepped outside and waved for the couple to follow him away from the window and door, back by the stables. Once away, he asked, “You’re Ledger’s parents, aren’t you?”

Minda and Baron looked at him closely. Baron asked in return, “You’re Lann and Lorna’s, son?”

“Yes, not the youngest, but the one with the blood for travel,” he said.

“And yes, we are the parents of Ledger and those two bits of trash,” said Baron. He looked depressed as he said this last bit.

“Ledger thinks both of you were murdered by them.” Andrew looked Baron in the eyes hard, “Do you plan to let him know you still live?”

Minda looked Andrew in the eyes, “So much like his father, as hard and cold when a hard decision and judgment has to be made, so much like his father.” Something in her gaze made Andrew take a step back.

“And much of my mother in the compassion for those in need.” He retorted, “Now again, and this is the last time I ask, do you plan the allow Ledger to continue believing you are both dead?”

Minda smiled now, all the coldness gone from her eyes, “Very much like his father. Yes, it is for the best Ledger continues to believe that. Will you be seeing to his safe arrival to the Cove?”

Andrew remained silent and thought, “If he continues to believe they are gone, he will push harder to advance. Better this way then.” He spoke now in a less angry voice, “I will see to his safe arrival if at all possible. I have gotten him a slot as a driver when we head out in a few more days.”

“That is wonderful news,” said Minda. “You already show the leadership that your father was renowned for.”

Baron spoke now, “I think we will head out and visit old friends. Does your family still have that place out by Planes Guard River?” he asked.

“Yes, but be careful. There has been an increase in bandit and slaver activity out that way of late. I had a few encounters early on that taught me a lot.” As he spoke, Spook came out and sat by Andrew, looking at the strangers.

Baron looked at the dog and frowned, “A dog? Minda, what do you think?”

She looked at Spook hard, then smiled, “A dog. A very intelligent dog, but still, just a dog.” She stood back up and took her husbands hands in her own.

“When will you be leaving?” asked Andrew.

“As soon as we can re-supply, and clean up a few loose ends,” said Minda.

Andrew had a thought, “Have you thought about a mule to carry your gear and supplies?” he asked.

Baron smiled, “It would be handy, but the cost of a good animal is higher than we are willing to pay.”

“Well,” said Andrew, “I happen to have a good mule I picked up at a slavers camp that can’t make the trip with us. Would you be interested?”

Minda didn’t give Baron a chance to think about it. “Sold, where is it?”

“Right over here in this stall.” He led them to the mule and they looked it over.

Baron grumbled but agreed with Minda it would be a good companion for the road. ‘How about five gold royals, would that cover the cost, plus make the sale look legitimate to Ledger?”

“It most certainly would,” said Andrew. Now he had a good cover as to why he had stepped out on them so suddenly.

With money in hand, Andrew handed Minda the reigns. “If you do see my family, tell them I have made it this far and am doing well, please.”

“We will. Safe travels to you and your team,” said Baron. “Who knows, you may be forming the core of a new Merc’s Company.” They turned and headed back towards the old city with the mule following. It looked back at him with a look that seemed to say, “What the heck?” Then turned back and followed its new owners on their way.

Andrew went back into the Inn and saw that Ledger and Brena had the two well in hand. Brecka had settled down and was laying on the floor moaning in pain from her shattered arms. Sandar had blood stains all down his front from the crushed nose. He was tied with rope Jessa had supplied from under the bar.

“Well,” he said, “That bit of business is taken care of.”

The other two looked at Andrew questioningly. “Oh. I knew we wouldn’t be able to take that old mule along with us. I had an interested buyer for him. He stopped by to pay me and take it with him.” Andrew knew he was hedging the truth, but it was better this way in the long term. He was also five gold royals richer. That helped solve another cash worry he had for the remaining time here at the Inn.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.