Reginald's Disaster - Cover

Reginald's Disaster

Copyright© 2019 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 4

The manager noticed Reginald sitting there looked bemused by this conversation, and said, “The local paper were on the phone to ask for an interview with the victims of the train crash. Is Mr Robertson fit enough to be able to cope with intrusive questions? I suspect you would not be vastly keen on questioning at any time.”

“Very perceptive of you, sir. Can you suggest that we are still shaken up and several of us are recovering from minor injuries, and one with concussion, so that we would not appreciate press intrusion for the present? That would be most helpful.”

He replied, “That is no trouble at all, Mrs Robertson ... sorry, I should say Frances, you said to call you. I will advise them accordingly. You can’t keep them away indefinitely, so I would advise getting your ducks in a row before long. The national press may be on to you soon, once they have finished with their stories from the scene and the hospitalised victims.”

“That is wise advice, sir. I will bring Reg up to date and arrange what tack we will take with the media.”

After the manager left, Reg asked, “What was happening while I was out of it, darling? I get the impression that you and the manager had something sorted between you.”

Frances explained yesterday’s private discussion of the hotel’s business problems once he had heard about their own company and its operations.

“I was able to pinpoint where they had been suffering losses, and suggested the means of correcting it; just like we do with our clients, Reg. He has taken my advice and got the hotel finances back on an even keel.

I made no charge for our help, as he was doing so much, with supplies for all of us until we get our luggage retrieved form the station. I don’t know if you noticed, but we slept in the Bridal Suite last night!”

“Oh, no wonder I felt so comfortable in that bed. Was it just you who was there with me? I don’t recall any sexual activity.”

“Correct, and please note that you are under medical orders to avoid stress for a few days, so no sex for you, my lad, until you are considerably improved.”

“None at all?” He almost begged.”

“None at all. Learn again what abstinence is like, Reg; you used to know it, remember?”

“That was a long, long time ago, Frances. I am now addicted to you ladies.”

“We are addicted to you as well, my love. I had to warn off the other girls yesterday. We shall see how you are doing tomorrow.

Now, we have put off the local press for now, but the nationals will get around to us eventually. We have to decide what if anything we will tell them about us.”

“Ah, yes. No mention of marriage, then?”

“That is it. Perhaps we can suggest that our trip here as a company outing that went wrong. Most company outings are day trips, so our longer visit to Scarborough needs some explaining to be convincing.”

“How about a combination of company outing and a training course, where we have our staff meet local firms and discuss any problems they may be experiencing?”

“That has potential, but we need to have a family meeting and make sure everyone is on the same wavelength before ANYONE talks to the media. We must have a specific training plan worked out beforehand, so the next couple of days are going to be work days until we are satisfied we know what we are doing, with no slip-ups.”

“Can I leave you to organise that, darling?” Reg appealed to her.

“Certainly, love. Spend a lot of time resting; try to doze in a comfy chair. You need to recover enough for our visit to the Robsons. We may be able to manage that tomorrow.”

Frances left him while she gathered the rest of the family for a meeting in an available lounge. Thinking about that, she sought out the manager to ask him for the use of a room for a company meeting.

“A company meeting? You said you were on a break, Frances.”

“Change of plan, sir. We have decided this is a staff training module where we bring them to a new town and get them to start looking for clients from scratch. It will indeed be good training for them, especially as they have to integrate caring for their babies at the same time.”

“Are they all members of staff in your company, genuinely?”

“They are, which is what will make this easy. Our two daughters will learn a lot from being with us on this training gambit. They need to see what real life throws at you in the workplace.”

“I can let you you have the lounge on your floor. I have a sign that goes on the door handle saying, ‘Meeting in progress’, which should keep out any intrusions. Will that suffice?”

“A grand offer, sir. Please add that room rent to our bill. The company will pay it.”

He hesitated between saying ‘with our compliments’ and annoying her for amending her plans, and decided he could simply neglect to add it to the bill. He said to her, “I will make sure the room is prepared for your company’s use, Mrs Robertson. It will be ready in half an hour.”

He left her with a smile, while she proceeded to organise her flock for the meeting. She went back and spoke to Reg first.

“Reginald?” This let him know she was in business mode. “We have a company meeting in half an hour or so, in the lounge on our floor. I would like you to attend, even if you just sit there, as it is an official company planning meeting.”

“Oh, sure, Frances. I’ll do that.”

In the next five minutes she rounded up the other adults but could not see Sidra or Elizabeth.

“Where are they?” she asked Jessica, who was most likely to know.

“They have gone to visit the museum, Frances. I told them how worthwhile it would be for their education.”

“I see. That’s okay. We can bring them up to date later; remind me. Meeting in half an our in the lounge on our floor.”

When they all got to the lounge, they found a large table in the centre of the room, with upright chairs all round it. On the table in front of each chair was a small notepad and a pencil. It appeared very efficient, and Frances approved. She must thank the manager for his attention to detail.

Reg appeared, led by the hand of Prudence, who told her, “He was looking a bit lost, so I helped him get here.”

Frances escorted Reg to the table and placed him where she had decided he should sit. The others took their places, and automatically opened their maternity bras to get their babies suckling. That would keep them quiet and contented during the meeting. France nodded to herself; these girls were on the ball.

Sitting down herself, she started the meeting.

“Ladies and gentleman, this is a company planning meeting of Recovery Enterprise Group. Our task is to prepare for a blitz on the borough of Scarborough, looking for new business in this part of the country.

As an aside, not to be minuted, this is also a cover story for the media as and when we are asked about our presence as a group. Our trip is now officially a company training module.

Back to business: You are all intended to learn how to further the activities of our company. It is an exercise in firstly showing the flag of our business, i.e. publicity; secondly exploring a seaside town for possible business contacts, some of which may be connections to assist with expediting future contracts; and thirdly making preliminary steps in taking on new contracts.

Is that clear?”

They all understood the rationale for the change of plan, and accepted the need for it. It would be easier to answer any media question by referring to the business than to their relationships. Jessica was the only one with a question.

“Someone is bound to ask about our babies, Frances.”

“That is the simplest of all to answer. You ask them what happens to women in their own company! Our company has a policy of all staff having the same rights, responsibilities and any perks of the job. Women with babies have no restrictions as long as they can do the work.”

This got Frances a small cheer from the others.

“Right. Down to business. We need to delegate jobs while in Scarborough. With Hermione not available someone else must take on the publicity aspect.” She stopped and exclaimed, “Damn! Hermione and Jemima need to be told what is happening. Jessica, you can’t wander the town with that bulge. How about you take yourself to the farm and brief Hermione and Jemima about the company plan for Scarborough?”

“That I can do, Frances. I’ll get off as soon as the meeting ends. Can I borrow the driver again as he will find the farm easier to get to. I wasn’t paying attention to the route from Scarborough.”

“Go ahead, Jessica. The hire firm will be happy to oblige, I think.”

As soon as the meeting concluded, Jessica got the hire firm’s number and asked them for the bus and the driver, for a return trip out to Seamer. Fifteen minutes later, just as Sidra and Elizabeth appeared at the hotel entrance, the minibus drew up. Jessica went to board, but Sidra called, “Where are you going, Mother?”

“Out to Seamer to speak to Hermione and Jemima. Want to come and se the countryside? You might even see some animals at the farm.”

“Yeaahh! Can Elizabeth come too?”

“Of course. Jump on.”

The two girls chattered all the way, but noticed all the sights as they passed. The Mere seemed to be just a big lake with geese and swans dotted about, but that was more geese than they normally ever saw at home.

It did not take very long to get to Seamer and then in to park outside the farmhouse. The noise of the vehicle brought Mrs Robson to the door, and Jessica waved to her before getting to the bus exit. The girls were right behind her, eager to see the farm.

The noise also brought Jemima to the door behind her mother, and she waved to Jessica, telling her mother, “That is Jessica. Look at her tummy, Mum; I hope she doesn’t have the baby here!”

“Jemima, we are used to births on the farm, with all the animals; just not humans.” She went forward to welcome Jessica.

“Welcome to the farm, Jessica. Who are these young ladies with you?”

Jessica smiled back, and gestured at Sidra.

“This is my own teenage daughter, Sidra, and the other young beauty is Elizabeth, our adopted daughter.”

Elizabeth preened at being called a ‘young beauty’, for she had changed from a tubby teen to a more svelte teenager, with a lovely face and a lively personality, if somewhat shy around strangers.

“Thank you, Mum!” she gushed, giving Jessica swift hug before standing back with Sidra. Sidra was staring around, looking for animals and not seeing any. Jemima noticed, and called to her.

“Sidra; a few of the animals are round the back if I am right: the milkers. You’ll see them shortly, after you have met my marvellous Mum and Dad.”

Jessica spoke softly to Mrs Robson.

“I take it things are fine with you?”

“Yes. These two are completely changed. I don’t know if it is being mothers or having a decent job, or a lovely environment that has done it, but they are so much nicer as young women now. Their Dad is over the moon, and would love to have them home with us, but they say their work keeps them with you and Reg’s family. Apparently the company’s headquarters are in your building: your building, oh my! She says it is huge.”

“That is why I am here, Mrs Robson. The company has had a planning meeting and I have been asked to come here and brief Hermione and Jemima, as they are important personnel in the company.”

Mrs Robson was taken aback at the reference to her formerly wayward daughters as important personnel.

“I listened as Hermione told me about their work and how important she said it was, but I put much of it down to bragging because of the change in them. You mean it is true?”

“Certainly, Both of them have taken on work responsibility in their stride; that attitude has helped them deal with their pregnancies, and you can see they have taken to motherhood very well.”

“Well, that is marvellous. Does your meeting with them have to be private?”

“I am afraid so. Business meetings often have legal ramifications and news of what a company is doing can affect future contracts if it gets out. Your girls understand that.”

“Well, if you want to use the front room, I will stay in the kitchen and show your girls a few old utensils. They will be fascinated and I have lots to do. Mr Robson is out in the fields for now, tending to the rest of the cattle, so he won’t disturb you. If he comes back early, I will take him into the kitchen out of your way; the man never refuses food.”

“Many thanks, Mr. Robson. Jemima, please fetch Hermione for a business meeting with me. You can bring the babies if you like.”

“The babies are asleep now, Jessica. I’ll get Hermione; she was putting them down for their nap. Would you like a cup of tea?”

“After our meeting, dear. It is important that you pay attention.”

“Right.” She called, “Hermione! Meeting with Jessica, now!”

Hermione appeared from where she had been attending to the babies, with a satisfied smile on her face. Once the door was closed and it was just the three of them, Jessica briefed them on the new plans for the next few days.

“This is all because of the publicity that the train crash will bring, and we want attention to be on the company’s ‘outing’ for training rather than on our relationships. We are making it the real thing in approaching local companies and bodies, so you should be aware of the change in case you get dragged into it in any way.”

“Got you,” Hermione asserted. “The trip to Scarborough started as a means of bringing us here, but was converted into a company training course at the same time, as that was thought to be a good idea in itself. Someone was clever about that: Frances, I’ll bet. Do you need us in town by a certain time or date?”

“Not at the moment. We have delegated your work to other girls today. If they need your assistance with any routine they are unaware of, they will phone you to ask about it, and you can take it from there.”

“That’s lovely. It means we can have more time with our Mum and Dad. They are being delightful about the babies, Jessica.” Her eyes lit up as she said this.

“I thought they would be. I know what it is like to be proud of your daughter, and they now ARE proud of you two.”

Tears came to Hermione’s eyes as she acknowledged, “I never thought I would say this, but I love my Mum and Dad, and I am sorry for how I behaved when I was younger. I couldn’t see beyond my own desires, my personal wants, likes and dislikes. They know that life can be hard at times, yet they did everything they could for us, even when we refused to cooperate with them on the farm. I was so selfish.”

Jessica told her how she felt.

“I was in a worse situation: married off to a man I didn’t want, a man who treated me badly, who restricted my life immeasurably. It took me years to pluck up the courage to consider leaving him, and I still hadn’t, yet it was Sidra whose departure made the difference. You have heard of the old saying of the straw that broke the camel’s back? Well, Sidra was that straw. When she had had enough and left, that determined me to follow her if I got a chance. I had no idea if that could happen, but when Sidra phoned me and said escape could be organised, that did it for me, and once instructed what to do, I left without a word and with almost nothing with me.

Reginald and his ladies made everything well. They gave me all that I might need as a woman, got me legal help for a divorce at no charge, and most important of all, they showed me love; the component that had been missing from my marriage for all those years. I had been a necessary appendage to my husband, that was all I was to him.

That love was everything to me. It gave me hope, the chance of a future that I had some say in, the chance to encourage my Sidra to get a good education; the chance of doing what I wanted to do, not what my husband allowed me to do – which was very little.

You girls experienced that same loving environment, where there was no disapproval, no put-downs all the time, no beatings – ever! Only encouragement. No wonder you blossomed in that environment.”

Hermione knew what Jessica was telling her, but reacted, “But Reginald was the factor that made the difference for me and Jemima. He saw the potential within us, and brought out that potential, even when we did not want to believe him. That is why I fell in love with him. I never thought that Jemima was the same way; I thought she was more sensible and practical than me.”

Jessica waved that claim away.

“Reginald is not what you get, girls. You get Reginald and his women, as a team. From what I have heard, Reginald was an introspective nobody until Frances encountered him at university and inveigled him into helping her and a couple of other girls. That was the catalyst that changed Reg into the person he is today: these girls. You two benefited by the family that resulted. Today, at the business meeting, Frances took over and ran it like clockwork, while the poorly Reg just sat beside her and nodded his agreement. That is what you have; a family group with a wide, all-encompassing view of the world that have replaced your Mum and Dad as your mentors. Me and Sidra being Pakistani never made them miss a step: we were people in need, to their eyes. You know you can depend on them, just as you could depend on your parents.”

Jemima had been quiet until now. She finally spoke.

“Jessica is correct Hermione. Reginald is a lovely man, but he is not complete without his women. They stimulate him to do wonders, but first they were the ones who turned him into a more rounded human being, just as we have been turned into more rounded human beings, instead of the self-centred spongers that we used to be.

We have been honoured by being allowed to join this band of women clustered round Reginald. We have a future that we can control, a job that pays well when you remember that we have free bed and board on top, and we each have a wonderful little baby to love and cherish. What more could you want?”

Hermione stared at Jemima, then burst out, horrifying even herself, “What more? Having Reginald as my husband, that’s what!”

Jemima laughed at her. “Join the club, Hermione! Six other women have already got that status, even if not legally so. There is no way you can have Reginald to yourself, sister. I knew this before he even fucked us in front of Frances, or should I say, egged on by Frances? If I can get the same deal these wives have, I will be happy.”

Jessica intervened, “Getting back to the topic of the meeting, girls, are you with us in our strategy? And help us as and when we need help?”

Hermione shrugged, “I was with you right from the start, Jessica. If it is something you approve of, then I know it is a wise move. Correct, Jemima?”

“I am on the same page, sister. You have our backing, Jessica.”

“Thank you, girls. You can stay here for now: let your folks know that you love them and regret your past actions, or rather, inactions. When you leave again, it needs to be with them looking fondly on you.

We’ll get Reg to visit as soon as we think he is okay for it. We need him to be quick-witted then, but he is not up to that yet.”

Jessica opened the living room door and crossed the corridor to the kitchen. Looking in, she found their driver sitting at a table with Sidra and Elizabeth, teacup in hand, and plate of scones and pancakes in front of him.

He greeted Jessica, “Mrs Robertson, you didn’t tell me Mrs Robson was a great cook and baker! She called me in when she saw I was just sitting at the wheel, waiting. Told me you would be a while, and it was bad manners to sit outside when tea and scones were waiting inside. A wonderful woman, just like my mum was before she died. I’d love to have a mum like her.”

Jemima pushed through to announce,

“Too late; she is already taken by me and Hermione!”

Hermione eased in to stand beside Jemima. “She is the best mum in the world! At least until I bring up my child, and he will declare that I am the best mum!”

Jemima flounced, “Huh. My daughter will say the same about me, for I will have modelled myself on Mum.”

The driver giggled, “Hush, girls. You’ll be giving you mother a swollen head.”

Sidra, sitting beside the driver, said shyly, “You are forgetting my ammi, my Mum. She has always been good to me, shielding me from the brute who calls himself my father. She is the best Mum ever, I assure you.”

Jessica smiled, but declared, “A truce, ladies! Everyone seems to have wonderful mothers, so let’s leave it at that. Now that I have briefed our personnel on company business, it is time for me to leave once our driver is replete. Sidra, have you and Elizabeth seen some animals?”

“Oh yes – at least a few. They have chickens in a shed somewhere, and pigs out in a field.”

“When Reg comes to see Mr and Mrs Robson, ask him if you can come as well, to see the animals; if that is acceptable to Mrs Robson.” She turned to look to Mrs Robson for confirmation.

She got it.

“These delightful young ladies will be most welcome. Hermione and Jemima never took such interest in the animals when they were your age, especially when it came to mucking out.”

The young girls gave an accusatory stare at the daughters, and Jemima nodded. “It is true, girls. We did not appreciate what we had here. Learn what you can, next time you come.”

The driver gulped down the last of his tea, and looked longingly at the scones he was leaving. Mrs Robson grabbed a paper napkin, thrust two scones in and wrapped them up.

“Take these with you for a snack on the way home, young man.”

“Thank you, ma’am. You are an angel.”

“I am a mother. That is more important, and I can tell when my baking is liked.”

Jessica and the girls were on their way back to Scarborough minutes later, and their driver had a satisfied smile on his face.

When he delivered them to the hotel, he told Jessica, “Next time you want me to drive you to Seamer, I’ll be happy to do so.”

She replied, “I am supposed to be the official driver, but this bump gets in the way, so I may well do that. Thank you for your work today; you were exemplary.”

“You are welcome, Mrs Robertson.”

When she was inside and had made another visit to the toilet, Jessica sought out Frances.

“Frances, I got the driver to take us out to the farm and back. That may involve an extra charge, for I think we contracted for the vehicle without a driver.”

“Ignore it, Jessica. We have already had the journey from York using him, so it will all go down as company expenses. This is a business expedition, remember!”

“Of course. Silly of me. When Reg goes to the farm, can he take Sidra and Elizabeth with him? They want to see and feed some animals, I think.”

“When he goes, I will go with him, to keep him straight on the facts we are presenting, Jessica. The girls will be a nice distraction.”

“Mrs Robson gave them tea, scones and pancakes, so they will be full for a while.”

“They are teens. They will soon work it off. I hope you didn’t eat too much, Jessica.”

“Oh, no. I had a cup of tea, that was all, and I ran to the loo as soon as I got back.”

“Good. Reg is starting to get restless, which is a good sign. I have the hotel providing him a snack every two hours. Oh, and the luggage has appeared. It has all been deposited in the room where the donated supplies were placed, so pop in and collect what is your stuff. I was glad to get my handbag back; all the contents seem to be intact.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.