The Footlocker - Cover

The Footlocker

Copyright© 2019 by REP

Chapter 4

We started our European tour in Zurich. Elsa needed to introduce me to her European lawyer, Business Consultant, and her Swiss Banker, and to introduce me to the managers of her businesses in the surrounding area.

The morning after we arrived in Zurich, our first stop was a department store for me to get some respectable clothing that did not scream American. I don’t think it was a big help in hiding the fact I was an American, but I did like the clothing. We played tourist and just relaxed for the rest of the day and the next day in order to recover from jet lag. The trip had affected Elsa significantly and she told me that she didn’t recover as quickly as she once did.

The day after that, we were at her lawyer’s European law firm at one o’clock for our appointment. I was introduced to Herr Helmut Agiler in English, but his grasp of English was poor, so he and Elsa excused themselves and switched to German for their discussion. Occasionally, Elsa would explain what they had been discussing. The meeting seemed to be almost a repeat of the one we held with Harry Thompson. The main difference was they spoke in German. I had learned some German while I had been in Heidelberg, but that was a long time ago, and I’d forgotten most of what I knew. Since I did not speak the language, I didn’t have to leave the room when Helmut questioned Elsa about her making me her sole heir.

I was surprised to learn that Switzerland has four national languages: German, French, Italian, and Romansh. I had always thought that there was an actual Swiss language. Elsa told me that Helmut would have the new will ready for signing in two days, and once it was signed, he would file it with the local courts. The filing process should be complete in about two weeks. He would contact Elsa at that time to notify her that the paperwork had been completed.

The next day Elsa introduced me to her banker Herr Dietrich Duessel. Elsa knew exactly what she wanted to do to minimize the problems that I would have when I inherited her estate. Dietrich seemed to speak good English, but for whatever reason, they chose to speak in German. I was unable to follow what seemed to be a very rapid conversation. Elsa gave me the occasional explanation of the topics they discussed. I sat patiently while they finished their business, and then Elsa and Dietrich gave me a set of forms to sign. I was told the forms were an application for opening a regular Swiss bank account with the bank. I was provided with a number of interim checks and told that checks for the accounts would be sent to Elsa’s lawyer’s office in about two weeks. I signed all of the papers put in front of me, and I was given a copy of the documents for my records.

The opening balance of my account was five million Swiss Francs, which meant nothing to me for Elsa had been handling our money. Dietrich told me that the balance amounted to slightly over five million US dollars. That, I understood. The exact value of the account in US dollars was determined by the current exchange rate, which varied constantly.

Elsa later explained to me that she had Dietrich transfer all of the funds from the larger of her remaining two numbered accounts to a numbered account that she had opened for us with a private Swiss bank in the Cayman Islands. Elsa was not on the account’s paperwork, so as far as the Cayman bank was concerned I was the owner of the account. She later provided me with our new account’s pass code, which I had to memorize. Elsa had Dietrich transfer the money remaining in her second numbered account to her personal Swiss account. All of her numbered accounts in Switzerland were now closed. I didn’t have to worry about dealing with those accounts.

Her Business Consultant, Frau Petra Krause, was the next person we had to talk with. She was a stout woman in her late forties, by my estimation. The thing I like the most was she spoke fluent English and they didn’t switch to German for their conversation. Elsa explained to her that I was her sole heir and would be taking over all of her European holdings.

The look Petra gave me when hearing that news was odd. Elsa said, “No, Petra, it isn’t like that. Paul is one of the students I took in as a boarder, not a lover. He has always been very respectful to me and very considerate. At the time I made my decision to make him my heir, he knew me as an old woman with a moderate financial holding. He had no idea I was wealthy.”

I could tell that Petra was slightly embarrassed by what Elsa said. She said, “I’m sorry, Paul. In my business, I see many elderly women with a bit of money being taken advantage of by younger men.”

“I understand, Petra. I’ve seen that on a few occasions while I was in the Army. It was usually the wife of one of my deceased comrades. All it took was her receiving a large life insurance check and the vultures would be circling her, so they could get their share of her new wealth.”

“I don’t understand why Elsa chose me to be her sole heir, but she did. She would like me to take care of several matters once she passes on, and I will do the best I can to do what she wants done.”

Elsa said, “Petra, I will be introducing Paul to the people who manage the day-to-day affairs of my businesses during the next three or four months. Unfortunately, Paul only speaks English. I gave the problems his inability to speak German will cause him, and I think he will survive with an interpreter, until he learns to speak German.”

Petra said, “Yes, I can see how that might work. He will still have problems with the way business is done here in Europe. It is very different from the way Americans do business.”

Elsa said, “I am aware of that. I am hoping you will continue to advise Paul on the businesses he will be managing after my death.”

“I can do that, Elsa, if Paul wants me to work for him.”

They both looked to me, so I said, “I need to know more about the businesses, but I think that arrangement will work.”

We discussed the tour Elsa was going to take me on. There was no fixed schedule and Petra made a few suggestions regarding the order in which we were to visit the businesses. She explained that it would be best for me to visit businesses that operated in similar lines of business before visiting businesses that were in different lines. It seemed a little inefficient for we would be traveling back and forth between Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

“Excuse me, Elsa. What Petra is suggesting will require more travel for us. Wouldn’t it be better to visit all of the businesses in an area at once?”

Elsa said, “That is what we talked about doing, Paul. Petra’s suggestions and order of visiting the businesses are probably the best way for us to do this.”

Turning to Petra, Elisa said, “I understand your approach and agree with it, Petra. However, Paul knows that I am not up to a long arduous trip. He and I need to complete the tour while I am still able to function.”

Petra asked, “Is your physical health really that poor?”

“Not at the moment, Petra. I have found that I tire more easily than I did a few years ago. Paul is worried about the strain this trip will have on me and that my health may suffer.”

Petra nodded, and I could see in her eyes and body language that she had realized Elsa would not be with us for long. She said, “My friend, we will do this the best way for you. I don’t want you overextending yourself to complete this tour.”

Petra looked at the way we had laid out the tour again. She suggested we reorder the cities we would visit, and explained why it would be a better order. Elsa and I agreed with her rationale. Petra suggested that we take a day of rest between every two or three meetings. That would extend the duration of the tour, but it would also reduce the stress that would be placed on Elsa.

We finalized our meeting with Petra with Petra agreeing to track our progress and consult with us on when we would be in the next city of our tour. She agreed to make the appointments for us to meet with the next city’s business managers. That would be a big help.

As we had done in the US, we spent the next four weeks in Zurich meeting with the managers of the businesses that she owned and those in which her stock provided her a controlling interest. During the third week we stopped at her lawyer’s office to pick up my checks and my new credit card. That was when I learned that when Elisa had opened the Cayman account, she had the Cayman Island Bank issue me their credit card, which was accepted in all countries.

Our next stop was Wien, Austria, which is known to most Americans as Vienna. Elsa and Petra had scheduled us to be in Vienna for five weeks. No we didn’t have that many meetings, Elsa believed that I needed to become immersed in the culture of her homeland and Vienna was her ideal city. Petra believed that Elsa needed to relax in order to complete the tour without collapsing. I agreed with Petra and was looking forward to Elsa’s plans to broaden my horizons.

Our business meetings took very little of our time. I think Elsa could have remained in Vienna forever. She told me stories of how she and Hans had visited the city often over the years when they had visited Switzerland. She had many acquaintances in the city. We were invited to several of the many balls that were held each year, and we attended many symphony, opera, and theater performances. I think we were doing something of that nature almost every evening of our stay, while trips to museums and other cultural sights filled most of our days.

After Vienna, we traveled to Innsbruck, Munich, Frankfort, Heidelberg, Hamburg, and Geneva before returning to Zurich. We had not been on a timetable and Petra made certain the Elsa had enough time in each city to relax. The extended duration of our tour at each of the locations gave us time to take in the sights of the cities.

We were having breakfast the morning after we returned to Zurich when Elsa said, “Paul, I’m tired. It’s time to go home.”

“Are you okay, Elsa?”

“Yes, but I can’t continue. The rest of the businesses I wanted to visit are not that important. Petra can introduce you to their managers during your next trip. My old bones are telling me that it is time for me to retire and let you take over managing my businesses. I don’t have much time left, Paul, and this is my last trip to Europe. I don’t want to leave, but we must.”

“All right, Elsa. Is there anywhere you want to go, or anything or anyone you want to see before we leave?”

“I want to go everywhere and do everything, but I don’t have the energy. My time here is over. A last meeting with Petra and Helmut to say goodbye, and then it will be time to go.”

“Is there any business that we have to complete?”

“No. Just a personal visit with my two friends. Petra, Helmut, Hans, and I were very close friends for many years. We met Helmut in Gasel. He was younger than we were and just out of university with a brand new law degree. He introduced us to Petra when we were looking for someone to advise us on investing in businesses.”

The next night we had a farewell dinner with Petra Krause and Helmut Agiler. We all knew this dinner was for the three of them to say their goodbyes to each other. While they talked in German, I sat and enjoyed my meal and several glasses of white wine while thinking about my tour of Elsa’s businesses. The wine was a little sweet for my taste, but the flavor was wonderful.

As I sat watching the three friends say goodbye, I settled into a morose mood. It may have been their farewells, but it was probably my thoughts on Elsa’s European empire. The amount of wine I drank didn’t help. I wasn’t drunk, but the alcohol allowed my emotions to come to the surface. I had promised Elsa to manage her European empire, but I did not see how that was possible if I followed her plan.

We finished dinner and I walked Elsa to her room. Tomorrow we would rest and start packing to go home; the following day we would leave Switzerland. Petra made arrangements for us to fly Swiss Air out of Zurich Airport to New York and we would have a three-day layover in New York before flying to Pueblo.


We had arrived at the Westin Hotel late last night. The flight had been tiring for Elsa and she slept in until almost lunchtime. We met in the hotel’s restaurant for a late lunch. I could see the sleep had been good for her, and I decided it was time to talk about our tour.

“Elsa, I promised to take over your European businesses and manage them for the benefit of people harmed by the war. I will fulfill that promise, but I may have to do it differently than way you have been thinking.”

“What do you mean, Paul?”

“Before we went to Europe, you and I talked about me managing the businesses directly, like I will be doing with the US businesses. My understanding was, I would be managing the European businesses like you and Hans did. I didn’t understand exactly how you managed the businesses, and you didn’t mention Petra or the part she played in managing your businesses.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.