Assassin No More - Cover

Assassin No More

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 15: The Sidhe Host on the move

The tavern was half full of evening diners. Flower moved through the crowd easily to remove dishes or mugs as she sang. I was singing a counterpoint to her song as little Sky held her fist to her mouth and kept yawning as she fought to keep from going to sleep. I glanced at the door as three sidhe entered. They looked around and stared at me before moving to a table.

One of the serving girls went to take their order as Henry slipped out the kitchen door. Her crossed to me and I leaned over so he could whisper in my ear as I continued singing, “There are hundreds of sidhe camping all around us.”

I nodded and looked at the door as several more walked in, “Watch the horses.”

I straightened and gestured to the other serving girl and she opened the kitchen door. Song walked out wiping her hands and picked up the lullaby as she walked towards me. One of the sidhe stood and reached out towards Song and I stood. Flower moved towards me quickly as the room fell silent, “Let her go.”

He smiled and shifted to finger the handle of his dagger. I shifted and gave Sky to Flower, “You wish to face true death? Very well, I am Lan formerly of the Quirrin clan.”

I started towards him as people moved out of the way. The sidhe shifted and his friends stood, I barely glanced at them as I reached the arrogant sidhe and continued to move. He was totally surprised when I moved to the side smoothly and grabbed the hand holding Song. I yanked it back and twisted before bending it and bringing it back and down.

He screamed as his wrist snapped and he was slammed to the floor. I moved and twisted his wrist as I kicked out into the closest sidhe as he pulled a dagger. My kick struck true and his leg snapped back and he screamed and went down. I looked down at the one on the floor and started to snap his neck with my foot.

“HOLD!”

I shifted and turned to see a dozen more sidhe at the door. I looked down at the one at my feet before letting him go, “If I see you again you are dead.”

I turned to face all the sidhe, “This is my place. You will not touch those here.”

The sidhe that had spoken stepped forward, “We are not used to a lowly tavern keeper telling us what to do, not even one who is of our people.”

I looked at him carefully, “I am a Quirrin master who wishes peace. If you or anyone disturbs that they will pay dearly.”

I gestured to Song who had moved to Flower and her daughter, “Winter’s Song is my mate, touch her and I will kill your clan.”

The sidhe looked at me for a minute before nodding. He looked at the sidhe on the floor, “Leave, go north and scout the way to the summer lands.”

He looked around, “We will honor the peace.”

It was several minutes before everyone began talking and most of those that were regulars left. Song kept her daughter with her and Flower moved carefully as even more sidhe came in. Word had spread but many kept watching me. When the elder sidhe walked in, it went quiet. He ignored those around the room and headed straight towards me.

He did not wait for an invitation and pulled out a chair and sat. I looked at him for a moment before gesturing to Flower. She moved through the tables, “Father?”

I smiled, “Water and a meal.”

She looked at the sidhe before nodding and turning to head towards the kitchen. I sat back and glanced at the elder, “Well?”

He smiled, “You are much like your father, but tempered.”

He looked towards the door as more sidhe entered, “These city people fear and loath us but are more than willing to take our gold.”

I shrugged, “If you act badly people will despise you. Business is business.”

He smiled, “And you?”

I looked at him as Flower came out of the kitchen, “If you act badly here I do not care if you have gold.”

He grinned and then laughed and sat back. I gestured to him when Flower arrived and she slipped the tray onto the table. I pulled her beside me, “It is too quiet and still, sing something to sooth the beasts and calm the animals.”

She smiled, “You always say that about our guests.”

She turned and thought before beginning a song that brought instant silence. I watched as she let the music fill her and began moving through the tables. The elder leaned forward to listen as did every man in the room. The room almost breathed the song in and exhaled music that sank into the soul. Song stepped out with Sky and her voice began a counter point to Flower’s song.

It was but moments before the front door opened and sidhe women began walking in. Their voices joined Song’s as they moved along the wall and more women and then girls followed them. When Flower stopped she was back at our table and smiled, “I think that worked.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.