Assassin No More - Cover

Assassin No More

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 12: Dragon Minor

After the sidhe left everything returned to normal. The guards and other guests seemed to delight in watching Flower as she began to sing more. The few times Song joined her the tavern was always full with people standing around the walls just to listen. Flower even taught me a song and they seemed to listen to me as well. Of course they delighted in watching Song hand her daughter to me to get her to calm down.

It was a few months after the sidhe left that other news began. It started with word of a dragon minor in the western farms. Soon fewer people came as reports began telling of the dragon attacking the city walls and a few times inside the city. I was rocking Sky when the council walked in the door. Flower only glanced at them as she sang a soft lullaby that had grown men nodding.

They crossed to me and one opened his mouth. I nodded to the small cradle on the table and he stopped before whispering, “We want to hire you.”

I looked at the other men as Song walked out of the kitchen and joined Flower in her lullaby as she crossed the room. She hugged me and gave me a quick kiss before lifting Sky out of the cradle. She walked back towards the kitchen as Flower finished singing and then the door closed on the final note. The room stirred and Flower laughed a silvery laugh that made everyone smile.

As she began a lively song I nodded to the council and master Cartier cleared his throat, “We want to hire you to kill the dragon.”

I smiled, “It has not bothered me yet.”

They looked at each other and master Cartier sat in one of the chairs, “It is causing great damage and has killed dozens of people.”

I sat back and listened to Flower as the room full of men clapped and stomped their feet. I finally nodded, “Not for money. You will owe me and my tavern a debt.”

They nodded hastily and I stood to walk towards the kitchen. Song was cooking and glanced at me when I came in. I waited and she looked down, “You will go after the dragon minor.”

I nodded, “It would come here one day.”

She nodded but did not look up and I crossed to her and turned her head, “I will take care.”

Song smiled and caressed my check, “Do not think of that. Do what you have always done.”

I smiled and nodded before leaving and going to our room. I opened my pack and pulled out a small vial. I left the tavern and headed into the city. By now the people knew who I was and nodded or greeted me. I stopped at a weapons stall and bought a spear. Next was a blacksmith shop where I used a rag to coat the spear blade and burn the rag.

The latest stories had the dragon sleeping in one of the warehouses. It took awhile to reach the area of the city with warehouses. Very few people were here except soldiers blocking the street. I saw the caved in ruin of a warehouse and started towards it. One of the guards stopped me and whispered that it had only been in there since early last night after eating a horse and a couple of people.

I stopped before entering to cover my mouth and nose with a thick scented shawl. I slipped into the ruined building silently and waited in the shadows for my eyes to adjust. The dragon was several times the size of a horse and reminded me of the beast outside of Amgree. This one had wings though and was smaller. I moved the spear until I held it at the very butt.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.