Assassin No More - Cover

Assassin No More

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 11: A visit from Relatives

Song’s daughter was born in the early morning and Flower spent most of her time with Song and her daughter I had named Autumn Sky. It was strange for me because before a week was out she was back to cooking and often she would just come out and put Sky in my arms, “She is restless.”

For being restless she was always calm for me but holding the child in my arms felt comforting. The guards seemed amused when she did it. I had hired two young homeless boys to care for my stables and they often helped in the kitchen. Flower was the darling of the people that filled the tavern. Every afternoon she would sing as she cleaned tables and the place would always fill up.

I was rocking Sky in a wooden cradle, Flower was singing as she worked and the tavern was full. The tall sidhe that stepped into the doorway was followed by two others. He was staring straight at Flower and frowning. I knew as he started walking towards her that he was trouble. I stood and started across the floor as everyone turned.

When he reached Flower she was just turning from the table she had been cleaning and his hand reached out to grab her. Mine closed on his wrist and I spun him to face me, “You do not touch her.”

His eyes met mine and widened before he tried to yank his hand free. It did not budge and the two other sidhe hissed and put hands to swords. I smiled, “You pull a blade in my house and I will kill you.”

They froze and I released the one I held, “There will be no violence in my house.”

He looked at a frightened Flower, “She was to be sold as a whore!”

I nodded to the door, “She is my daughter now. Leave before something happens to you.”

He looked me up and down, “You have no idea what my clan...”

I laughed and pointed to the door, “Fool, I was raised in clan Quirrin. What is your clan to me?”

He was still, “Quirrin?”

He looked at the two others who looked frightened. I nodded to the door, “Leave.”

He spun and headed towards the door and the two others followed. I glanced at Flower, “Stay with someone while you work and never be alone.”

She nodded and I turned to see Song in the kitchen doorway. A guard cleared his throat, “If the sidhe clans are here there will be others.”

I shrugged, “Unless they bother my custom it is not my concern.”

The tavern filled for dinner and Flower was calmer. One of the stable boys poked his head in the door and crossed to me quickly, “A dozen sidhe are here. They are caring for their own horses.”

I nodded and he left quickly, a few minutes later the group of sidhe walked in. They chose a large table and sat. One of the serving girls took their order and left. They looked around and one by one they began watching Flower. I gestured when she looked at me and she crossed the room, “Father?”

I smiled, “Sing something for me?”

She smiled and nodded before turning. She began a soft song as she walked through the tables. The room went silent, everyone knew this was a treat, Flower seldom sang in the evenings. I watched the sidhe and they smiled softly. When Flower stopped singing the room broke out in clapping. She grinned and bowed before turning to pick up her cleaning rag.

The room went silent suddenly as one of the sidhe stood. He crossed the room to stand in front of me, “I am Herald of the Sky Clan.”

I bowed my head slightly, “How may I help you?”

His eyes narrowed slightly, “You are sidhe?”

I shrugged, “I am Quillan.”

He sucked in his breath, “Quirrin!”

I smiled, “Once but no more. Now I am only the master of this tavern.”

He looked at me and then turned to point at Flower, “She was taken from her family.”

I glanced at Flower to see her with Song by the kitchen door, “Flower was sold by a sidhe to a human. She was to be made a whore for the humans.”

His eyes widened, “You lie!”

I smiled as the whole table of sidhe stood, “I have no need to lie. The one that sold her was here this afternoon.”

He glared at me and then looked at Flower. His eyes took in Song and he gasped, “Winter’s Song!”

I glanced at her and back to him as he spun to face me, “She was a maid promised to the Clan chief!”

I shrugged, “She was sold with the girl and pregnant. She is my mate now and Flower is my daughter.”

He turned as the other sidhe crossed to him. He stood silently before turning back to me, “We will return to talk of this more.”

It was late, I had closed up and the few guests staying with us were sleeping in their room. I caressed Song as she lay half on me, “They spoke of you.”

She lifted her head and then put it back on my shoulder, “I am your mate now Lan.”

I caressed her, “The other ones will try something.”

She only nodded and I sighed, “Go sleep with the baby and Flower.”

Song looked into my face before slipping out of bed. I rose and dressed carefully before slipping into the shadows of the tavern. They moved well but not as well as a master of the Quirrin clan. I took the first by the low stone wall between the stable and the tavern. The second I took in the shadows of the kitchen. The third and forth I took in the common room and the last two I took as they entered my room.

They were bound and gagged when they woke, which was amazing. All six were in the tavern yard and I was placing the last of six posts in the ground. Two of the six had been with the first sidhe that had come into my Tavern. One at a time I put them against a post and tied them, I also added a cord around the throat. I stood in front of them, “If you struggle the cord around your throat will tighten.”

I looked at the six glaring sidhe, “For your trespass upon what is mine I will brand each of you. If you ever return and I see you, your life will be forfeit.”

I ignored their threats and shouts as I build a small fire. I used a thick copper wire I twisted into a glyph before attaching it to a stick. I heated the wire and moved to the first man who glared at me. I smiled and stabbed the glowing brand into his forehead. He screamed as I pulled it back and went back to the fire. One by one I branded each man before putting the fire out.

I ignored the two guards that came to see what was happening and sat facing the posts to wait. Song appeared after the sun had come up and handed me a plate of food and a cup of my favorite tea. She ignored the sidhe tied to the posts as I ate and took the plate and cup when I was done. A few minutes later two dozen sidhe arrived on horses. I waited as the horses milled around and then the sidhe swung down and started for the posts and I stood, “Leave them.”

The Herald swung down as the sidhe hesitated. He drew a sword as he walked towards me, “No sidhe will be treated this way.”

I smiled as two daggers dropped into my hands, “My name is Quillan and this is my house and clan. Those that trespass and attack me or mine will receive MY justice.”

The Herald hesitated, “Trespass? Attack?”

I nodded, “These came to my house with weapons drawn.”

He stopped a few feet from me a frowned, “Why?”

I shrugged, “What matter is that to me? They will stay where they are for one day and then I will release them. If they return, I will kill them.”

The other sidhe hissed but the Herald nodded and sheathed his sword, “May I approach and speak with them?”

I slipped my daggers back into my sleeve, “Yes but do not touch them.”

He turned and walked to one of the men in the middle, “Who sent you?”

The sidhe looked at him defiantly and the Herald pulled a thick studded glove from his belt. He looked at me and I shrugged, he turned and slapped the man across the face hard, “Who!”

The man did not answer and the Herald turned and walked towards his horse, “Leave them!”

They swung up on the horses and turned to ride towards the city gates. Those that came to the tavern were nervous. I watched and waited and around mid day the band of sidhe returned. Unlike the others they smiled as the boys took their horses and slipped them small coins. Flower soft voice drifted out of the tavern and across the yard.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.