A New Beginning - Cover

A New Beginning

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 8: Day Four - A Merchant Spanked, a New Keep, the Real Mair and Hunting Lizards

I woke with a weight on my chest, when I opened my eyes it was to see a kitten sitting there. I whispered, “good morning.”

I heard a quiet, “good morning. Are you getting up now? We are hungry.”

I got an image of the other four kittens sitting on the floor waiting. I looked at the foot of the bed where a sleeping Cynthia lay. Putting my head down I cleared my mind before untangling myself from Cassy and a sleepy eyed Sam, to climb over Cat. Dressing quietly I slipped out the door and made my way down to the kitchen where I held the door for the five kittens.

Margaret was in the kitchen with several women I did not know. When she saw me she crossed the room to see what I needed. When I looked down at the kittens I heard several of them chime in with, “cream.”

I laughed, “Oh I do not think your mother would approve of that.”

Looking back at Margaret, “do you think you could find something for these growing kittens?”

She looked down at the kittens, “well I do have a couple of fish someone brought in.”

At these words the kittens perked up and we both heard, “we like fish.”

Margaret’s eyes widened, “oh my. Okay fish it is.”

As the kittens were eating the fish I sat and sipped a cup of coffee. It was a little while later that Cynthia called me, “Michael?”

I turned my head looking in the direction I had heard her, “Cynthia. Your kittens are down here in the kitchen with me.”

I could feel her moving and it was a short time later that I felt her approaching the door. Standing I opened it for her and she grumped, “they could have waited for their breakfast.”

I smiled down at her, “true but they were polite and patient when they asked. Besides I had to get up anyway.”

Margaret, who had seen me open the door for Cynthia brought another plate with some fish that had been cut up. When she set it down in front of Cynthia she heard a dignified, “thank you.”

I smiled, “I will be with Elizabeth and then I have an appointment to keep. Did you want to come?”

She stopped eating long enough to look up at me, “an appointment with the merchant? Killing him will not solve the problem you know.”

I looked back at her, “I will not kill him unless by accident.”

Cynthia went back to her meal, “I will wait here. You are capable of taking care of yourself, you will be fine. Besides I want to look around the grotto.”

I shook my head, “okay but if you want to look around the grotto I suggest asking one of the small creatures first.”

I seemed to hear her agree as I was leaving. When I knocked quietly on Elizabeth’s door one of the new Mair girls, (Jessie) answered. I smiled when she timidly opened the door. Even though Elizabeth was sitting up in bed, I saw signs she had been resting. I approached the bed, “not sleeping?”

She smiled at me, “I was, in fits. I was talking to this girl. She has the tags of one of my daughters, Ginger I think. She was saying that she never saw her mother before you came.”

I nodded, “Pendar did not let the children stay with them after they were born. Relax and let me check you.”

Extending my senses I slowly swept her body, in her right calf I found the loose end I was looking for. Reaching out I slowly pulled and felt it unravel and heard Elizabeth sigh. I looked at her as the strand slowly faded away, “better?”

She nodded, “it was like relieving a cramp that you did not know you had.”

I patted her, “today I want you to get some air. Ask someone to help you down to the river and you can sit there. I do not want you exerting too much today, baby steps. Have you thought about teaching your daughters?”

She looked a little unsure and I continued, “they need to be taught. I have a teacher that can teach them to read and write but they and maybe some of the other girls might need other learning. I have one girl already being trained as a healer. Think of it as a way of keeping busy as well as helping you relearn some of your skills. At least think about it?”

When she nodded I smiled and turned to go. Stopping at the door I looked back, “do not let your visitors over stay their welcome and tire you. Your daughters have been through the same thing as you even if they do not seem like it.”

Looking at the girl in the room with us, “So have you. Take it easy for a few days; at least until you understand what has happened to you.”

Outside the room I meet Jeremy by the kitchen with John, “good morning Jeremy, John.”

Jeremy turned to me. “Just the one I wanted to see. With all these new people here. Did you want me to teach them?”

I could tell by the way he stood that he was not happy, “actually, yes. Before you start about the number I will remind you of all the new people here. Undoubtedly there are others that would be able to help and you could direct them. Also you could break all those that want to learn into smaller groups.”

He looked thoughtful, “it might work. I can find someone else to help me?”

I nodded, “yes, see John when you find them.”

When Jeremy left me I turned to John, “sorry about that. I might as well start a school.”

With a wry face I looked up at the Keep, “I could even put it up there.”

Shaking my head I looked at him, “ready for the day? Have you figured out how to get the other side of the bridge anchored?”

He nodded, “I was thinking of doing as you suggested. Ann had a visit a little while ago from those little people. They wanted to speak to you.”

I frowned, “did they say about what?”

He shook his head and I was thoughtful, “I have to meet someone. If they ask again tell them I will come to see them when I can.”

John scowled, “the business with the merchant? Be careful, most merchants did not get where they are by being careless.”

I hit him on the arm and started for the gate only to be stopped by Cat and Sam. They insisted on accompanying me and would not take no for an answer. The trip across the city was one of dodging busy traffic until we reached the practice field. It was packed and it was not until they saw who I was that they opened a lane for me.

When I reached Samil I found out they were all here to see what happened between me and Shaffer. Since it was still a little early I took a practice sword and offered James a bout. It was interesting because I would stop every now and then to correct something or give him a hard whack in the ribs.

After we had put the swords up and were standing around talking a disturbance went through the crowd as Shaffer made his way through to us. When he broke free of the crowd I saw the six guards that surrounded him. When he stopped in front of me he did not even hesitate, “You have struck me and threatened me. You obviously do not know your place!”

With that he made a gesture and the guards started for me, drawing their weapons as they came. I waved everyone back and stepped into them drawing my swords as I went. I blocked the first man and kicked him back into the three that were following. As they went down in a tangled heap I turned to meet the other two.

I blocked left and right using all my strength. First one man’s sword and then the other’s shattered as it met mine. Then it was two swift blows that followed with hands wrapped around the hilt and both men fell. I turned back as the group of four started regaining their feet. Stepping in I did not give them the chance to find their footing before striking left and right.

I stepped on a sword as one man was picking it up and with a sharp downward blow put another man out of the fight. A simple block and twist of my wrist sent another man stumbling into one of his companions. I used the time to block another man before following the block by striking his sword and knocking it out of his hand.

I let the momentum carry me around into a spinning back fist, striking him in the side of the head. As he crumpled the two remaining guards regained their balance. They looked at me and then at the other guards on the ground. Slowly they stepped back before putting their swords away and turning to walk off.

Shaffer was shouting after them when I cleared my throat, “obviously you did not take me seriously so I will make it plain. Shaffer I challenge you.”

He went stiff, “I am not going to fight you.”

I nodded, “that is fine. I will just let the crowd know so they can help the guard in confiscating all your property and putting you in bond.”

At these words he went pale, “you would not dare! I am an important man!”

I shrugged, “not to me.”

A visibly shaken Shaffer looked around at the crowd but did not see one friendly face, “very well. If someone would loan me a sword?”

James tapped Samil who looked at him before nodding. James walked to Shaffer and handed him his sword. It was made from mythril and had excellent balance. Without saying a word he walked back to stand next to Samil. I watched as he tried the sword, I could see that he had some training from the way he moved with the blade.

Sheathing one of my swords I gestured for Shaffer to join me in a clear spot. He acted clumsily but I ignored that and when he feinted I stepped into the dance I knew so well. Unlike my bout with James I said nothing only slapping his sword aside and striking him with the flat of the blade. After doing this several times he lost his temper and rushed me.

I let him come, at the last moment I stepped to the side and grabbed a wrist giving it a twist and using his momentum. Shaffer landed on his back, the sword lost somewhere in the dirt. I put my other sword back in its sheath and let him get to his feet. When he lunged at me, trying to grab me in a bear hug I simply grabbed a hand and wrist.

I twisted it and brought him around my body as I knelt, landing him across my bent knee. Holding the bent hand and wrist in a manner that kept him from moving without causing himself a great deal of pain I brought my hand down on his butt. Slowly with a lot of laughing from the crowd and screaming from him I proceeded to give him a public spanking.

After twenty swats I stopped, “I can continue this or you can learn from it. Which will it be?”

All he did was cuss and threaten me so I continued for another twenty, “are you ready to give in yet?”

It was a much subdued Shaffer that gave in. I released him and helped him stand before he shook me off, “you won this time but there will be others!”

I stepped towards him before he could turn away, “listen closely. This was your only warning. If you persist the next time will be the last. Do you understand me?”

He only stood there glaring at me until I took another step towards him and then he stepped back and gulped, “yes I understand.”

The crowd let him through, not without hitting him or pushing him. I picked up James’s sword and walked back to him. Wiping the blade I handed it to him hilt first. he took it quietly, “was I that bad?”

I smiled, “yes but you had the excuse of youth. He did not have that excuse.”

I could see the crowd breaking up and turned to Samil, “hopefully it will be a less eventful day and as always I am behind. See you this evening?”

He shook his head, “I have a job, James will be there.”

Samil looked at James thoughtfully before turning back to me, “do you go back to treat the sick?”

I nodded, not sure where Samil was headed with this. He looked back at James, “perhaps you should go with him. See the people he helps and do not just look at them. Learn the stories behind them. Though they do not live as long as us they each have a story. Sometimes those stories teach us valuable lessons about the lives around us.”

James looked at me a little uncertainly. I caught myself before I could say anything. Finally he agreed and we broke up with a smiling Sam on one side and a quiet Cat on the other. This time with only one in tow, I made my way home. Coming around the corner near home I stopped short.

The main house was standing proudly as if it had never been damaged. Looking up to the Keep on top of the cliff I saw that it looked like it was whole again. Together we stared before the neighborhood guard interrupted us, “been like that for the last half hour. Darnedest thing, everything just seemed to leap together. Everything is calm inside though.”

I thanked him and made my way to the gate. Inside everything was calm, (well relatively, there were a lot of children running around yelling and screaming but it was in play) Margaret stopped us at the kitchen, “I have one of your Mair girls. We caught her stealing a loaf of bread.”

I sighed, “Cat, if you and Sam would find Sarah we can start the rounds. James, would you go with them please?”

I followed Margaret into the kitchen. A frightened Mair girl of maybe five sat in a chair. Margaret and I approached her, “do you know why you are in trouble?”

She nodded, “I took the bread.”

I nodded, “what is your name?”

She looked down, “Virginia.”

I knelt so we were even, “why did you take the bread?”

She looked down at her hands, “we were hungry.”

I looked at her and sighed, “remember last night I told you that I would punish you if you do something wrong?”

When she nodded I reached out to lift her head so that she was looking at me, “the only thing you did wrong was not to ask for something to eat. We will try to remember to feed all of you but there are a lot of people here. If you need something to eat come here and ask one of the ladies here, okay?”

When I stood it was to see a Margaret that looked like she was close to crying. Hugging her I asked if she would see that they were all fed. She nodded and bustled off about the kitchen while I looked down at the Virginia, “Margaret will get you something to eat and then I want you to bring the others and make sure they understand what I just told you okay?”

When she again nodded I smiled, “another thing, I want all of you to see the man named Jeremy. He will be in charge of teaching you how to read and write.”

With a gentle caress of her check I turned and left, only to be stopped by Ann outside the door. She gestured around us, “Cat said you were back, isn’t it wonderful?”

I nodded, “it was a surprise.”

Ann laughed, “the mage Artimas did it. Oh, before I forget, the small people came back. They still want to see you. Also Elizabeth and her visitors are down by the river and John is across it on the other side.” She frowned at this.

I reassured her that he would be fine and started off to see Elizabeth. The route through the main house had changed but not enough that I could not find my way. I found them chatting away next to the river. Amanda, Beth and Ginger seemed more subdued. Besides Artimas and Edward there was Nathen and another mage I did not know.

I waved at the house and Keep above them, “good morning and how much are you charging me for the face lift?”

Artimas smiled, “all thing considered I think I am still in your debt.”

I waved that aside, “you do not owe me. What I did was for your daughter and I do not take repayment for that.”

Edward broke in, “still, you are responsible for returning her. We do feel a debt.”

I shook my head, “if you feel a debt that is fine but it is one of your own making and only you will acknowledge it.”

Turning to the new mage, “I do not believe we have met.”

He took a step to shake my hand. “Janis and I too owe you a debt. Not only was Elizabeth my student but she is also my sister’s only daughter.”

I shook his hand and looked at Elizabeth, “but why?”

And I again gestured above us and Elizabeth laughed, “I guess you can blame yourself. Ann brought me breakfast and she was talking to her husband. He was telling her something you had said as a joke, about starting a school at the Keep? Anyway I was speaking with Father and Uncle Janis and I mentioned it. You see what happened from there.”

I frowned at her. “You did not help them.”

She blushed but before she could say anything Nathen spoke up, “no. She is not ready to work magic yet.”

I relaxed, “good and you are right. Thank you.”

I could see that the fresh air was doing her some good, she was looking a lot better. In fact I could feel a thread of the magic that wove its way through her. Taking the few steps to her I placed my hand on her shoulder and I pulled the strand of magic, “I am glad you are feeling better.”

Feeling it unravel and fade away as I spoke her eyes widened, “oh, that tingles.”

I smiled down at her, “one more down.”

She looked up at me, “and how many to go?”

I returned her look, “you work magic that creates or changes creatures. You tell me, how many changes are there between you and your daughters?”

Elizabeth frowned and looked at her daughters. I patted her shoulder, “think about it.”

I turned to the door but stopped short, “Ginger?”

She looked from her mother to me, “yes?”

I smiled, “could you walk with me?”

She stood and crossed to the door before stopping next to me. I looked back at Elizabeth. “Do not overdo it.”

I led the way back up through the house. Outside I stopped before crossing to the passageway, “Ginger, you have a gift, not just the magic. The gift of healing is something different as far as I can tell. It and you need to be trained. You have seen Jen, she is learning to control the same gift. If you want I will talk to the one that is teaching her. Perhaps he would be willing to teach both of you. What do you think?”

She frowned, “I do not know, everything is different and new.”

I smiled at her, “you are going through a difficult adjustment I know but this would give you time to decide what you wanted to do.”

She gave me a searching look before answering, “this would help you?”

I shrugged, “perhaps but Samuel sometimes does his training elsewhere. Do not think of this as helping or not helping me. You need to decide if this is something you should do for yourself.”

Ginger looked around and finally up at the Keep, “you think learning is a good thing, mother told us about your thoughts. I will accept your help but there is much I do not know.”

I smiled and turned for the tunnel, “you will find that you will learn new things every day.”

At the entrance to the passageway Jeremy sat at a small make shift desk and looked up when we entered, “good, I found three men and one woman to help teach. Mathew is writing the names of all the children so we can split them into groups. The rest of the neighborhood children are taking notes for the sick. We had to move the sick up here in the first four rooms because of all the new people. Oh and those small people want to see you.”

I smiled and shook my head, “All that in one breath, amazing. As for the groups you are teaching, do not just do them for the children. Let everyone know and if any adults want to learn we can set up a time and group for them. As for the sick, are there any serious ones?”

He nodded, “Samuel was called and just came in. Jen and the other girl Cassy is with him and that elf. They are in the first room on the right.”

I nodded as I turned Ginger towards the room, “fine. As soon as I see the most serious ones I will pay a visit to our little friends. If you see Sarah I need to speak with her.”

When we entered the room Samuel was checking a young woman that looked like the side of her face had been smashed in. He glanced up as Ginger and I came in. He turned to Cassy for something to wipe the woman’s face and she already held a damp cloth. Smiling at her he turned back and started explaining what he was doing to Jen as he carefully cleaned debris from the woman’s face.

I saw Elvan sitting by the fireplace with a small boy who was crying. Moving to the bed with Ginger we watched Samuel finish cleaning the wound. As he turned away with the now dirty cloth, Cassy again was there to take it. After a brief description of what they needed to do he had Jen reach out and start the healing with him just following along.

They were both surprised when Ginger joined her, adding to her strength and giving a hint of a delicate touch to the healing. The woman seemed to almost glow before it faded and she opened her eyes. Samuel looked at Ginger in surprise but Jen only smiled at her shyly. The woman looked around, “where am I. What happened?”

Samuel remembered himself, “you are being cared for at Michael White Hawk’s. There was an accident and a wall fell. You will be fine now.”

Turning he gestured to Elvan and the young boy ran to the bed. As they hugged each other Samuel made his way around the bed, “that was an amazing touch this young lady had. Another of your rescued?”

I turned to Ginger, “Samuel this is Ginger. She also has the gift of magic. I brought her to ask you if you would consider teaching her along with Jen.”

Samuel looked at her, “you have a very delicate touch.”

He looked back at me, “you seem to be collecting those that are gifted. This teaching is getting to be a full time thing.”

I got a flash of an idea, “what would you think of teaching full time? Not just to those with the healing gift but others as well. Although I believe that a lot more young ladies that have the gift will start showing it as they get older.”

Samuel got a thoughtful look, “I do not know what my superiors would say. I do not have a problem with teaching, as a matter of fact I enjoy it. Let me talk to my superiors. Elvan said you found a mage and that is where all the Mair come from and they are really a mages?”

I nodded, “yes. She was held prisoner and it was done without her consent. Will you at least teach Ginger for now until you get your answers?”

Samuel laughed, “Always trying to work it in. Yes, I will teach her as for anyone else I will need to get an answer from my superiors.”

In a different tone, “Jen also described you doing something with her that involved using you as a conduit to drain energy from this mage?”

I admitted it and he scowled, “that was very dangerous, both for you and her. If she were further along she could have drained the mage herself and it would have been a lot safer.”

I shook my head, “hindsight is always better. If I had known a healer could do that I would have called you.”

I continued since we were speaking of Elizabeth, “if you have time could you look in on her and see if there is anything you can do?”

Samuel nodded and I turned to Ginger, “stay with them.”

After checking several patients and verifying what Sam and Cat had already done Sarah finally caught up with me, “you wanted to see me?”

I looked up from a shallow cut on a girl’s leg, “yes. Give me a minute to finish.”

Holding a pressure point I put two more stitches that closed the cut. I gave a small packet of penicillin I had made to her mother with directions on how and when to use it. I stood and walked Sarah into a now busy hall. Moving all the way to the end gave us privacy, “I have room now as well as the instruments I need. I would like to do the operation on your hip tomorrow. Is that okay with you?”

She looked a little apprehensive but nodded yes and I smiled, “Good. Find Samuel and tell him that I would like him to be available. We will not start until he is ready so he will set the time alright?”

Again she nodded, “thank you.”

I patted her on the shoulder, “you are welcome. Take it easy today and we will start anew tomorrow.”

I thought of the time and headed for the stairs, only to jump aside for one of the kittens as it went running past me with a, ‘catch me if you can.’ Sounding in my head and a group of children chasing after it. Shaking my head I started down only to catch Theresa coming up looking a little lost.

I stopped her, “are you alright?”

She looked at me with a lost look, “I did not know where to go or what to do.”

I thought of all the children, “have you looked in on your daughters?”

She gave me a sad smile, “they do not know me.”

I made up my mind, “very well. Perhaps it is time to restore some order. Get with your sisters, as of right now your children and the other children I found are your responsibility. You are to make sure they eat, bathe, dress and go to bed when it is time. I want you to start checking to make sure they go to the classes I have set up and you will make sure they behave themselves. If any needs to be punished they will be brought to my attention. Can you do this?”

She looked a little daunted and I told her, “there are older children that can help you.”

She straightened her shoulders and I saw a determined look in her eyes, “I will do it, we will do it.”

She looked me in the eyes, “thank you.”

As she went up the stairs I continued down. When I reached the entrance to the grotto Cynthia called me, “over here.”

I turned right and made my way through some bushes. I found myself in a well tended wood with the smaller bushes trimmed back. Following a small trail I came out into a small clearing next to the wall by the river. Cynthia lay in the center of the clearing with several of the small people around her and by the feel, hundreds more not too far away.

I made my way to the center and sat next to Cynthia. There were ten in front of us and the rest seemed to stay behind them. Most of the ten looked older with white showing around their face.

Cynthia voice whispered, “this is their council.”

I nodded to those around us, “you asked to see me?”

An older female spoke up, “we have spoken with Mother. She has told us that we are free to do as we please but we have heard that you own this place and all in it. We wanted to know what you intended?”

I thought about it before replying, “Elizabeth is right in that you are free, however I see your people are not as ready to go out into that world. My plans for this place? Before yesterday I did not know it was here so for right now I do not have any plans. I might have a way for you to start getting your people to adjust to that big world you have seen.”

One spoke before the others, “you are not going to make us do things?”

I smiled, “make you? No, that is not my way. As I was saying I may have a way to help your people adjust.”

Making up my mind I looked around that those present, “I will tell you what, come with me and I can show you what I have in mind.”

They looked at one another before an older male spoke up, “where would you take us?”

I gesture up, “to the top of the cliff by the Keep. I will show you a place that you might like.”

After whispering to one another they agreed and I stood. With Cynthia beside me and the council following (along with about fifty others), I led the way to the passage and down the hall. The incident came when we were on the fifth floor. We were almost to the stairs leading up behind the stables when one of the kittens rushed out of a doorway and straight at the group of council members.

I felt it begin and spun around with a shout, “stop!”

I felt the same thing coming from Cynthia. The kitten tried to catch itself and flipped and then slid along the floor coming to rest by the council. I could hear Cynthia scolding the kitten so I stayed out of it. I was surprised when one of the council members stepped out of the group, “do not be too hard on her, she was only following her instincts. She knows us now and will not do it again.”

Cynthia and I both heard this in our heads and I blinked, “you can speak to us in our minds?”

One of the women that was straightening her dress replied out loud, “Yes though only a few.”

The older male walked to the kitten that was cringing on the floor, (I could almost hear something) and the kitten’s ears perked up as he patted her on the head and stroked her cheek. I shook my head and turned to continue. The elder council member ended up with a companion as the kitten decided to accompany him and walked along beside him.

When I came out of the stairwell I slowed down as all the small ones emerged. At first they looked at the sky but then it was to gasp at all the asga Ann had told me about. I cleared my throat to get their attention and led them across the overgrown grounds. I stopped a few feet from the edge.

From here I could see the huge clearing across the river. It extended for what looked like several thousand acres (which it did.) As we stood there staring I sat down. When they finally came to, themselves, they stepped closer to me and one spoke, “it is so big.”

I nodded, “yes. I will be building a farm over there. Do you know what that is?”

The older one (that was absently petting the kitten) spoke up, “I think it is where you grow things?”

I again nodded, “exactly. I have one problem to solve. That is a large lizard called a Saur. They eat the plants but if people get too close they attack and they are very hard to kill. When I have cleared that land I will need scouts that can stay around the edge and give warning if more come. I could also use any help or advice at the farm.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.