A New Beginning - Cover

A New Beginning

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 6: Day Three - Part 1 - Pendar’s Keep

The morning started off cool with just a hint of rain in the air. Jen told me that Samuel would be there soon to pick her and Cassy up (Cassy seemed to have a talent for knowing what Samuel needed or wanted. Jen had told me that Samuel said she would be a good assistant.)

Breakfast in the kitchen was quiet but everyone seemed to be in a good mood. All the kids seemed a little tired, (probably from staying up the night before.) I went over things with John and Ann, including talking about clearing the gateway for the Keep above. Ann said she would keep an eye on the girls while I was gone.

When Jeremy came in I explained that Sarah would be here for the sick and if there was anything too bad to send someone to the healers. While I sat listening to the quiet morning talk I spread a piece of leather out and cut out a pattern. The leather was soft and easy to handle. Sewing it together I made a shoulder holster.

I put it in place and then tied it across my chest. I removed the pistol from its leather package. I loaded half the magazines, one with solid ball ammo and inserted one in the pistol and chambering a round. I put the pistol in the holster and dropped the spare magazines into my vest pockets.

It was several minutes before I had it adjusted the way I wanted but when I was finished I looked up into John’s eyes. He nodded at the pistol, “for the Saur?”

I shook my head, at John’s words the room had quieted. I saw that Ann looked a little worried, “that will be something bigger and will not be ready for at least a day or so.”

I asked John to have Marie take the package back to my room. I gathered up Sam and Cat and we picked up several trauma packs and anything else we would need. By the time we were ready to go Samuel was there for the girls, “I am headed to Pendar’s too.”

I told the girls to be good and after ruffling some hair, left. Cat was wearing the chain shirt and had the green cane sword through her belt. One of the guards that walked the neighborhood gave us directions and it took almost 30 minutes. I realized that we were not that far from the upper entrance to the Keep when we arrived.

When I entered the courtyard it looked like everything was in chaos. There were wounded against a wall to the left and I turned and went that way. It took several minutes to set up. I had Sam find out who was injured the worst while Cat and I set up an area. Either Cat or Sam would be sewing up cuts while I took care of the more serious injuries.

Legate Abrams stopped by once to thank us and tell me that they were having more problems then they expected. He even went so far as to help place a bandage on and say that the healers were already tired out and they were stuck with the ordinary doctors. He told me that they were seriously thinking of using fire and just burning it down.

The tide of wounded had started slowing down and I was operating on one of the guards with Cat assisting when I felt someone come up behind me, “what do we have here?”

A quick glance told me that my feelings were right, it was the elder Shaffer. Turning back I continued operating, (I was sewing a man’s artery closed and could not spare my attention), “I am busy, if you need help that young lady will help you,” and I nodded in the direction of Sam.

The man stepped closer but not to me. He was right behind Cat, “this one can help me.”

Saying that he reached around and grabbed her breast. Without thought Cat swayed one way and my right hand came around in a blow that sent him flying back. The two guards that had been with him started forward but several of the guards that we had been treating stood up.

A very skinny black haired lieutenant with a rag wrapped around his leg spoke up, “that is enough. Leave or go into bondage as a criminal for interfering with the guard.”

That seemed to wake them up and they stepped back and went to collect their employer. One looked over at me, “it is not over” and then they carried him out. After we finished with the last man I told Cat and Sam to rest while I went over by the gate. The Legate was there with several mages and the lieutenant I had recognized from earlier.

The mages were telling them that they could not stop the animation of the dead because it was tied somehow to the Keep and was too strong. The Legate shook his head, “this means fire and I hate that. It always gets out of hand.”

I looked at the Keep then back to Legate Abrams, “mind if I take a look?”

He looked back at me and then smiled, “what will it cost me?”

I smiled back at him, “let me take a look and I will give you my opinion and the price if needed.”

The two mages looked at me as if I were not sane. I nodded to them and turned to the front of the Keep. Spreading my senses I could feel the webs of magic that laced around me. As I got closer to the front door a guard stopped me and warned me that some of the dead were using bows. I moved to the side of the door and peeked around the corner.

I could feel a web of magic that blocked the doorway. I could feel the strands of magic that came from the dead and led deeper into the Keep. I pulled my head back before an arrow went past where it had been. It looked to me like the dead were tied to the inside of the Keep. I wondered what would happen if they were brought out through the magic barrier.

With an image of bow fishing in my head I went back to where the Legate waited, “how much is it worth to you if I help with this little problem?”

The Legate snorted, “well not the Keep. What did you have in mind?”

I had thought about this, “how about any bond servant in there. After you have checked them of course and one half of the valuables.”

He snorted, “ten percent and I will let you use some of my guards.”

I shook my head, “thirty percent, the bond servants and the guards.”

Legate replied with, “twenty-five and the guards.”

I thought about it then replied, “twenty-five but with the bond servants and guards. The bond servants are not negotiable.”

He looked at me for a long time, “always the soft heart. Very well, it is a deal.”

I nodded, “not that I do not trust your word but how about another official signing off on it first.”

The Legate nodded, “it will take a few minutes.”

I looked around, “I will need several strong men, a couple of heavy crossbows and some light but strong rope or cordage.”

I went back to Cat and Sam and told them that I going to be clearing the Keep and the price. Sam shook her head, “where are we going to put anyone we find?”

I smiled, “we put them wherever we can.”

With a sigh they got up, Sam asked one of the guards she had helped if he would watch our things. When we walked up to where the Legate was one of the mages gave a surprised yelp and said something to the other and then stepped forward toward Cat. I felt the magic that he started to call up but before he could finish whatever he was going to do Sam stepped up to him and put her dagger to his throat.

At this he seemed to come to himself and shake his head. The other mage had stepped back and had started to chant something when Cat drew the sword. It was as if there was a physical wave that sprang from the blade to the mage. This froze him as if in a block of ice and there was a waiting feeling in the air.

I looked at them, “do you have a problem?”

The first mage looked back at me, “the Mair is carrying a weapon. That is forbidden!”

I looked at the Legate, “is there some law against people carrying weapons?”

The Legate only shook his head. I turned back to the mage, “it seems you have just attempted to attack my bondservant.”

The mage flushed, “it is the prophesy. No Mair is allowed to carry a weapon. It says one will come that carries a green blade. It says that when she comes she will free all the Mair and bring upset and confusion to the mage community.”

I looked at him and then turned to Cat, “really? Is that your plan?”

She tilted her head and shrugged. I looked back at the mages, “you have a choice. You can try to continue your attack and suffer the consequences. Or you can decide that perhaps this might be better settled peacefully another time.”

The mage squeezed his lips together but nodded. Together they turned and left. Both Cat and Sam put their weapons away. The Legate only watched as the mages left and then gestured to the three men nearby. They had two heavy crossbows and a coil of strong cord. As they stepped forward he quietly handed me a folded piece of parchment.

I put the paper in my shirt and gestured for the men to follow. Approaching the main doors from the side I stopped short and turned to face everyone, “alright, what I am going to do is simple to start with. With the crossbows we will attach the cord and I will shoot one of the undead guards. When I do you will pull the cord, causing it to come out the door where we can better deal with it. Any questions so far?”

When no one answered I took the offered crossbow. Tying the cord to a barb headed bolt I moved to the side of the door. I made sure I had slack in the cord and sent my senses out. I found the first bowman quickly. Nodding to everyone I spun around the doorframe bringing the crossbow down and firing almost in one motion.

Even as they were reacting I spun back. As I spun back I yelled for the men to pull and they did. Grabbing the cord they pulled it tight and then turned and walked away. The undead guard appeared a moment latter, it was being dragged along the ground. As soon as it crossed the threshold it crumbled into dust.

This exercise seemed to get a lot of attention from the other guards that had been trying to get in all morning. After that, I repeated this technique four more times until all the bow-wielding undead were nothing but dust. Then it was a simple matter to stand in the doorway and shoot an undead guard through the leg and pull it out.

When the entranceway was finally clear I looked around, “could someone find a couple of barbed boar spears?”

The Legate cleared his throat and pointed to several guards standing by with just the thing. I nodded my thanks and then entered the Keep with Sam on one side and Cat on the other. Leaving Cat and Sam with a crossbow and their own set of men to watch the stairs I started clearing that floor.

My technique was simple, when I entered a room and a guard was there I would shoot one. As it was being dragged out I would face any others with the barbed spears and have them pulled out as well. I had almost finished clearing that floor when I entered a library. I shot one guard and was facing another when the drow came into the room.

Stabbing the dead guard I handed the spear off and turned to face the drow. I could feel the difference, this was a live drow. I drew my swords and the drow did the same. As we slowly circled one another I waved off a guard that would have come to my aid. With a flash the swords clashed together and again we circled.

I saw from the way it moved that it was resigned to its fate, “I thought your people believed they were better than the rest of us? Why do you serve a mage?”

Again a clash of swords and we parted, “I serve only my own people!”

I stepped back, “if that is so than why are you here, defending a mage’s Keep?”

The drow stood there looking back at me, “I was sent here to perform a task.”

I noticed the amulet he wore, “if that were all than why do you wear his seal? When you die your body will become his.”

The drow glanced down at the amulet, “my lord gave it as a passage here.”

I relaxed, “that should make one wonder. I will offer a deal.”

The drow glanced at me suspiciously, “what deal?”

I glanced at the door as the Legate entered, “safe passage for your word not to return and to have the amulet checked.”

The Legate’s lips thinned but he nodded. The drow seemed to consider, “I keep my weapons?”

Again the Legate nodded and the drow stood a moment then nodded, “accepted.”

As he was leaving with the Legate he turned, “I will consider your words. Beware the floors below, a worm awaits.”

After he had left I finished clearing that floor. I only encountering two other guards, both at the entrance to the stairs leading down. Leaving guards to watch I returned to the stairs leading up. Making my way to the second floor I went from room to room but no guards showed. I did find six Mair girls caught in a spell, they were fifteen or sixteen.

The next floor was the same, only the Mair were younger, maybe thirteen and there were ten of them. The last floor held the youngest and it tore at my heart to see thirty little girls five or six years old kneeling in the poses they were left in. Back on the ground floor I went to the stairs leading down.

Going down the stairs and clearing each of the first two floors was fairly simple. The third was harder and I encountered something I had not seen before. They stood eight feet tall and had a greenish tint to their skin and carried large iron maces. The guards with me panicked at first but I just ignored the size and stabbed them like the other guards.

The quarters on this floor were more luxurious and better guarded. Going down to the last floor was a lot more difficult. There were a dozen guards on the stairs and it was as bad when we reached the hall. When it was finally cleared we only saw one door. I could feel the magic in the air and had everyone with me wait.

When I opened the door there were no guards. With my senses open I stepped in. I was on the landing of a grand staircase leading down. The room was large, two hundred feet by two hundred. The center of the room was clear except for a pedestal that held a large glowing stone. There were workstations around the edge of the room.

I could see four Mair held by spells in the four corners. I could also feel a web of magic throughout the room. Following it I saw a path to where I thought I would be able to disarm the traps. Cat and Sam came through the door behind me and I glanced at them, “stay here and wait.”

Going down the stairs I made my way to the first corner. The Mair held by the spell looked back at me and I could not tell how old she was. The spell that held her was different, she was aware. I did not think I had a choice and slowly stepped onto the tile that had a pattern, “who are you? Where is master?”

I slowly moved to her and helped her stand. She looked to be four months pregnant, “the mage is gone. Move slowly.”

I led her back to the stairs and Sam came down to take her out. I went back to the corner and then followed the path I saw in my mind. When I reached the next corner I again woke the Mair being held there. This time she was defiant until I explained that the mage was gone. She too was pregnant and I led her back to where Cat waited to lead her out.

The third corner was the same but the last was different. When I released her she only looked at me, “where is mother?”

I looked around for another Mair, “I do not know.”

I could feel the barely contained fury as she looked around the room, “where is Pendar?”

I looked back into her angry face, “he fled.”

She glared, “and Antizel? Where is he?”

I shook my head, “I do not know an Antizel. Follow me and I will get you out.”

As she stepped out of the diagram there was a loud boom as if from thunder. Following it was a bright flash in the center of the room. I pushed the Mair behind me as I turned to face the center of the room. What I saw startled me, it was a huge dragon like in the fairy tales. Before the Mair bumped me I saw and felt something else, the dragon was not really there!

With a loud roar it turned to face us and I felt the pull of magic from behind me. I glanced over my shoulder as a ball of something appeared in the Mair’s hand. With a throwing motion she threw it at the dragon. I watched as it went right through it and exploded against the far wall. Then I saw something else, the dragon wore a pendent!

I pulled my new pistol, “wait!”

I aimed at the amulet and even as I fired the dragon breathed a jet of flame. I was starting to move when the Mair made a casting motion and an invisible shield sprang up in front of us blocking the blast of flame. The bullet hit the amulet with a loud ringing sound and I quickly fired again. This time it was muted as the amulet broke in half.

The dragon seemed to become more visible and the Mair again blocked another jet of flame. I changed aim and fired to hit the dragon but it did not look like it did much damage. The dragon roared and stepped forward towards us. I dropped the magazine and slid the one with the solid bullets back in and chambered a new round.

The dragon was almost on us when I fired, this time under its chin. The dragon roared and seemed to jerk its head back. Again I fired, this time when the dragon jerked back it fell. Even as it hit the floor it was fading away. As the crystal in the center of the room started to glow I aimed and fired. With a deafening crash of thunder and lightning that shot around the room it exploded.

As the sound and light faded I faced the Mair, “you can do magic?”

She looked back at me with a new look of respect, “yes. All my sisters can.”

I glanced around the room but did not feel anything, the web of magic was gone. Quietly I led the way to the stairs. Cat and Sam were just outside the room and from the tears and the way they clung to me I was a little embarrassed. But when I saw the four Mair girls fall into each others arms crying I felt better.

When I looked around though I did not see any of the guards, “what happened to the guards?”

Sam snorted, “as soon as that dragon appeared they turned and ran.”

I shook my head, “and you two stayed?”

Sam smiled up at me, “we were trying to think of something to do and had to keep the girls from rushing back into the room.”

I faced the crying Mair, “it is time to leave.”

The last one I had freed looked up, “what about our mother?”

I looked at her, “the only ones still in the Keep are upstairs but they look too young to be your mother.”

She nodded, “she is still with Antizel then. I am Amanda and this is Theresa, Beth and Ginger.”

I looked at each other them, “when we get out I will try to find out about your mother.”

We were coming out of the stairwell at the ground level when the guards finally came back. Legate Abrams was in the lead and it looked like an army was following him and not too willingly. I stopped, “well better late then never I guess. Legate, the Keep is yours. Can I take the Mair now?”

He looked at me in surprise, “I was told a dragon was in the mage’s workroom?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.