A New Beginning - Cover

A New Beginning

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 16: Under Attack, Story Time, the Ending

My advanced class had gone smoothly but I had started noticing things. The streets were ... thinner, with fewer people. They were quieter as if waiting for something to happen. When I extended my senses as far as I could I could feel the rangers. At the very edge there was something ... it was making me uncomfortable.

I walked to John, “something does not feel right. Have Peter keep everyone in the other building this morning, they can help fix up the rooms. Make sure they have a few swords at the doors. Get everyone out of the manor and block the doorway to the river. I want you to stay by the kitchen with the rifle I gave you. If something happens get inside and shoot out the doorway.”

I looked at a distracted Sylvan standing with his bonded as Elizabeth slipped under my arm. I glanced down at her smiling, “did the girls chase you out of bed?”

She grinned, “Cat started a tickling fight and I had to retreat.”

I laughed as I glanced around again. I looked at her, “where are your weapons?”

She looked at me sharply, “in the room.”

I nodded to the entrance, “go put them on. I want you wearing them anytime you leave the room. I do not have a good feeling about today so be careful. Oh, and send my bond daughters to mom.”

As she headed back to the room I crossed to Sylvan, “I see you managed to hold your own with Jenny today.”

He laughed as he turned, “I think she was feeling sorry for me.”

I smiled as I looked at Jessie and Saline, “I want you two to stay close to the entrance into the Keep. If anything happens go into the first room. Go warn the children to stay in the nursery.”

I looked at Alonia for a minute and paused, “Alonia get with John. I want you and Elexia to have one of the admantium swords. Stay close to Sylvan.”

I looked at Elexia who looked back expressionlessly. I smiled and stepped closer, for some reason I liked this elf/drow, “Elexia find the woman named Ann. Ask her if she has any grey or brown clothing. I want you blending into the surroundings here and not standing out. Keep your bow and have Sylvan find you some more arrows.”

I hesitated and then gently cupped her face, “I want you with Sylvan unless something happens. If it does go to my daughter and protect her. She can not protect herself yet, you must be her protector. Will you do that for me?”

Slowly her face relaxed and she smiled, “you trust me?”

I nodded, “with my life and the lives of those I hold close.”

She nodded smiling as Alonia’s hand slipped into hers, “I will do as you ask.”

I looked at Sylvan, “your parents should be here shortly, get moving. If anything does happen guard the entrance.”

He grinned and bowed, “yes master.”

I swatted him on the shoulder as I turned and went towards the entrance into the Keep. I met Beth and Amanda coming out. I stopped them as an idea came to mind, “Amanda? Could you do me a favor?”

She grinned mischievously, “yes father.”

I blinked and then grinned, “smarty. I want you to get your mother’s children and grandchildren that learned how to shield together. Put half in the building across the river and the other half in the grotto. If something happens this morning I want a shield around the building and the grotto. I do not know if your grandmother will be here this morning or not so talk to your mother if you need help. Can you do it?”

She looked at Beth and nodded, “yes father.”

When I came into the hallway I saw my father sitting at the desk with Mary. I smiled when I reached him, “you look tired.”

He grinned, “Sarah had two women come in ready to give birth.”

I looked at Mary and back at him, “any problems?”

He shook his head, “no, everything went as it should.”

I smiled, “mom should be able to be moved to the room Ann set aside for you.”

I glanced back down the hall and frowned, “dad? You and mom stay in the clinic this morning please. I ... I think there is going to be trouble and I want the two of you safe.”

He looked at me no longer smiling as I undid the shoulder holster and handed my pistol to him and then pulled the spare magazines out and set them on the table, “just in case.”

My father frowned, “what are you going to use?”

I smiled, “I am headed to my room for the girls. I have another there.”

He nodded and stood, “I will be in with your mother.”

I looked at Mary, “any sick or injured?”

She shook her head, “No. Do you really think there will be trouble?”

I nodded, “Yes. Try to get the Mair for runners and any helpers you can for any injured we may have. Send anyone else to the lower floors. Have Sarah, Casey and Jen somewhere close.”

I left her and went quickly to my room. The girls were sitting by the fire fully dressed and armed. I crossed to the table and picked up the holster and pistol. I put it on and settled everything before turning to the girls and holding out my arms.

I hugged them and sighed, “you girls be careful today. Elizabeth I know you are not going to like this but if anything happens I want you in the grotto. Your daughters will be putting up a shield there. I want you there to watch the exit out of the grotto in case anyone or anything tries to come in that way.”

I looked at Cat, “I want you up here by the door leading to the stables. Be careful and do not take chances.”

I looked at Sam, “the clinic landing, stay back from the doorway into Antizel’s work room. If they come through from Pendar’s stop them at the door in the stairwell.”

Sam rubbed my chest, “where will you be?”

I jerked my head up, “in the Keep. They will have to come past me to get to the stairs. I will have Sylvan guard the lower entrance.”

Cat looked into my eyes, “and our people?”

I smiled at her before giving her a kiss, “our people are being told to stay inside. Half of girls are going to the new building so if something does start they will shield it. Peter also is having swords handed out for men by the doors. John will get everyone out of the manor and block the river door and then protect the kitchen with the hunting rifle.”

I looked at them and gave them another squeeze before letting them go. I looked back at Cat, “shall we go wait for your aunt and uncle?”

We were quiet as we walked back downstairs and I looked at Cat, “who won the tickle fight?”

Sam burst out laughing as Cat grinned, “they all ganged up on me, so they did.”

Sarah was beside Mary when we came out of the stairwell. She grinned, “good news?”

We laughed and Elizabeth pointed to Cat, “not for Cat. She lost a tickle fight to our daughters.”

Sarah and Mary laughed as we walked out. Sylvan, Jessie, Alonia and Elexia turned to us as we emerged. I glanced around but did not see Saline, “Jessie? Where is your shadow?”

She grinned as she held Elexia’s hand, “Saline is in your exam room. She was knocked down by a bunch of little girls running and screaming down the stairs. They were yelling that Cat was after them so she is taking a bath.”

I smiled and turned to Sylvan as several elves entered the gate and looked around, nodding to us. A moment later a large party of elves entered. I saw all the nobles from before with a dozen guards spreading out. I relaxed and extended my senses as they approached. When they reached us the group split apart and two stepped forward.

I noticed the resemblance to Sylvan right away, what struck me though was his mother. She was beautiful and carried herself as if she were a dancer or a well trained fighter. She seemed to be trying to ignore everyone around them as she embraced her son. His father was smiling but I got the impression he was evaluating everything around him.

His glance at me swept past as if I was not there. He focused on Sylvan’s bonded and he frowned slightly at the sight of Jessie, “a Mair Sylvan?”

Sylvan stepped back from his mother, frowning but Jessie beat him, “I am not a Mair ... father.”

He blinked in surprise and Sylvan’s mother laughed, “Aurtha, how many times do I have to tell you. If you speak first and listen second it will end with you putting your foot in your mouth.”

He looked at her grinning, “I do have that habit.”

He bowed to Jessie, “my pardon daughter. I have many bad habits.”

She grinned as she shifted closer to Elexia, “that is okay. I am still training Sylvan too.”

He blinked and Sylvan’s mother started laughing again as she stepped up to Jessie, “I think I am going to enjoy having you for a daughter.”

Jessie smiled sadly, “Sylvan says I ... I can only be his bonded.”

Sylvan’s mother looked at her thoughtfully, “perhaps but I do not really think that matters now. My name is Karianna, call me Kari.”

She looked at Elexia and Alonia, “you girls are the ones that were unlucky enough to bond with Sylvan yesterday?”

Elexia stirred but calmed as Jessie squeezed her hand. Alonia tilted her head, “unlucky?”

Kari smiled as she looked Sylvan, “knowing my son he is already planning to hide you away.”

Elexia looked at Sylvan and back at Kari, “he would have to get Jessie’s permission.”

Kari blinked in surprise as she looked at Sylvan, “something you have not told us son?”

He turned red and then suddenly laughed as he bowed to Jessie, “my pardon love. Mother, father my bonded are Alonia...”

He gestured to her and turned, “Elexia...”

Again he gestured and turned, “and our bond leader Jessie. Mother, Jessie is also a healer so her schedule is very full. I was hoping you would consent to helping her learn about ... court.”

Kari laughed, “you mean how to ignore the insults.”

Jessie shifted uncomfortably, “I do not intend to ignore them. When father is done training me they will not be that...”

She looked at Alonia, “unmannerly?”

Alonia smiled while Kari and Aurtha laughed. Aurtha looked at Sylvan, “her father?”

Sylvan was grinning as he turned to me, “father, Mother, this is my master, Michael White Hawk. I asked to be his squire. So far his young trainers have kept me in my place. While I still can not keep my weapons when I face him. Next to him is the mage Elizabeth Stormcaller. Michael’s apprentice’s and other bonded Sam and ... Cat. I owe them more than I can ever repay.”

Kari looked surprised but Aurtha stepped forward extending his hand, “I have heard quit a bit about you.”

I smiled as I took his hand and shook it. He turned to Cat and knelt, “niece, I owe you more then I can ever repay as well.”

The nobles that had accompanied him had gasped and quickly knelt, “my brother will never...”

I felt them coming and jerked Cat away, “Shit! Sylvan warn the rangers! The drow are here in strength. Your majesty please go into the hallway.”

I looked at John standing by the kitchen as I spun towards the entrance to the Keep, “inside John, we have company!”

At the entrance I pushed through a crowd, “break this up! We have trouble coming, get away from the entrance. Sarah! Get ready for wounded!”

I turned to the girls, “Elizabeth the grotto, Cat the stairway to the stables, Sam the door into the work room. I love you so be careful.”

I glanced back as Sylvan was shoving elven nobles into the entranceway, “good luck Sylvan!”

I turned and ran, hitting the stairs at a sprint. When I got to the top I was surprised to find I was not winded. Darren and Jeremy were talking in the first room about classes, “you two, go upstairs and make sure everyone stays away from the windows!”

I did not wait for a reply, I stepped to the door and opened it. Sylvan’s rangers were slipping through the gateway. As I took a knee, my hybrid slipping into my hands and Cat appeared to me in my mind. From the way she gestured I knew Elizabeth was ready and a shield was in place in the grotto.

I felt the shield in the building across the river go up and prayed the drow would pass them by. It was only a moment later when they hit. They rushed through the gate and I shot the first and arrows started taking others. I shot two more, feeling Cat’s surprise as she killed one before she was even aware she had fired.

I felt Elizabeth’s anger as she faced something and knew she was using magic and not her hybrid. There seemed to be a pause before another wave struck. It did not even manage to get completely through the gate before they were killed. I felt Sam’s surprise and then anger as she started shooting.

Another wave came over the wall, surprising the rangers. Several were injured but I managed to keep the drow off them until they could get through the door, “go down the stairs and someone will help you.”

I shot a drow that suddenly appeared next to the door and scanned the area around the gate. An elf ranger appeared next to me, “the king’s rangers come.”

I glanced at him, he had the stub of an arrow sticking out of his shoulder as he held a sword in his other hand, “you need to get below and have that removed. See one my daughters to get the wound healed.”

He looked at me for a minute and grinned, “you do not happen to have one not bonded do you?”

I smiled as I continued to scan the area, “as a matter of fact I do. She happens to also be a mage though so you would probable have to go all the way down to the grotto.”

He laughed, “so ... when the king’s rangers get here maybe I will.”

I shook my head laughing as the hybrid came up. The drow just seemed to appear in the yard. I shot four of them before the rangers reacted and they slipped away. This was beginning to irritate me. I stood, changing the magazine and then I calmly walked out the door as I put up my shield and started pulling magical energy to me.

The dozen drow that appeared around me probably thought I was an easy mark. Three in front of me were smashed back by the hybrid. The rest did not even have time to scream as I released the anger on my shield and it went from white to an angry red before exploding and killing the drow as they were engulfed in globes of fiery plasma.

My magic reached out and out until it hit the wall where it seemed to climb to the top and glowed sullenly. Elves came pouring out of the Keep moving towards the gate where they hesitated and glanced back, “can we go through?”

I was already releasing my magic, my senses told me the drow were leaving. I nodded and turned back to the Keep. As I came in the wounded elf stood up, “well that was interesting.”

I smiled as I walked past him and started down the stairs calling up to Jeremy, “Jeremy! It is safe!”

Cat met me on the landing of the next floor. I embraced her and gave her a kiss before heading down again, “did you leave someone at the stairs?”

She nodded as she fell in beside me, glancing at the elf following me, “pick up a stray?”

He laughed, “he said you have a daughter that was a healer and that she is not spoken for yet.”

Cat looked at him and suddenly laughed, “Ginger? This I have to see.”

We found Sam looking over the shoulder of Aurtha as he watched his guards in the work room. I kissed Sam, “little thief. Not picking his pocket are you?”

She grinned, “no. Although I had to be very strict with him when the drow came through the door.”

Aurtha looked at me grinning, “I think she said something about paddling my butt if I did not get out of her way.”

Cat and I laughed as I pulled her into my arms and kissed her again and then gave her to Cat. I looked at Aurtha, “where did Sylvan put your wife?”

He smiled, “I believe she is in that first room with your parents and several of your daughters. They were helping the wounded and seemed to be having a good time talking.”

I shook my head, “are you needed here?”

He shook his head, “I sent a company of guards down the tunnel. I was just having my personal guards checking these to see if Sam left anything for them to do.”

I smiled as I turned, “Sam? Why don’t you and Cat take him up to the nursery and I will be there as soon as I get everyone else.”

In the hall I stopped at Mary’s table, “anyone I need to see?”

Mary looked up and suddenly grinned, “no. The few that were serious your father looked at and the girls healed. We are looking good right now.”

I nodded, “send runners and let everyone know it is over and lets try to get things back to normal.”

I saw Sylvan, Elexia and Alonia at the entrance with several rangers standing around outside, “Sylvan? It is over, let your rangers handle it. I sent your father to the nursery. Send someone to John and then across the river to let them know. I need to know if they had any problems across the river.”

I poked my head into the first room. Ruby was standing on a chair next to a bed with a laughing ranger lying down. My father was beside her, “no grandpa! Just relax and extend your feeling ... you know, feel how his body is and then raise the display.”

Everyone else in the room laughed as a colored mass rose out of the ranger. Ruby sighed, “grandpa, you are hopeless.”

I could not think how she knew how to do it except through the bond and laughed, “that is not fair sweetie, old people take longer to learn.”

Amber, Jade and Ruby all squealed and ran to me, “Daddy!”

As they crashed into me I glanced around the room. Mom was sitting with lady Kari, Jen, Cassy, Sarah and Saline. In the bath sat Jessie with her arms crossed. I hugged the girls, “I need you angels to take your grandparents to the nursery with the lady Kari.”

Jade looked up at me, worry in her eyes, “is there going to be more bad people?”

I shook my head, “they ran away.”

She grinned as she looked back at the bed with the ranger just getting off it, “I told you daddy would scare them off.”

The ranger laughed, “that must have been it.”

Amber shifted as mom and dad came up with the other girls, “Father? We had strange feelings when ... our sister ... when Jen and Jessie did their healing.”

I looked up at Jen, “did you feel them Jen?”

She shook her head, “we had Cassy shield us just in case. Samuel has not gone over how to ... bring a new healer into the healing with us.”

I nodded, “ask him to check my pets will you?”

Amber and Ruby put their hands on their hips, “we are not pets!”

I laughed and ran my fingers through Jade’s hair, “go on girls. Take them up to the nursery. I will be up as soon as I get your mother.”

I looked at Saline, “Saline, why is Jessie in the bath?”

Saline smiled at me, “well after I stopped her from going out to Sylvan the third time. Kari suggested taking her clothes and making her go into the bath. She has not tried to leave since.”

I laughed and gestured to Jessie, “it is over now. You can let her out and give her clothes back.”

I started to turn and stopped, “Sarah? Why don’t you come up as well?”

She smiled and nodded. At the stairs I found my wounded ranger, “did not want to go down by yourself?”

He grinned, “I thought I would be safer with you present.”

I found all the elf nobles on the bottom floor milling around, “its over. Why don’t all of you take this outside.”

We watched as they hurried to the stairs talking about speaking with the king. I looked at the ranger as we continued down the hall, “how does Aurtha put up with them?”

He laughed, “they know that when he has had enough he starts sending messengers. Meaning them, to far away places for strange things like a simple writing feather.”

I laughed as we walked into the grotto. The ranger had quieted when we came in. There were only a few people living here since Ann had started moving them to the other building. There were Mair walking calmly that only waved and continued to walk. When we reached the clearing in the center of the grotto he stopped me, “master?”

I looked at him as he looked at the ground and then back at my face, “I knew Elvan before he went missing. I have been with my prince for a long time. Both have changed much since you have entered their lives. They are more concerned in helping others and they are calmer.”

He laughed, “especially Elvan. Although since he bonded the prince is more relaxed as well. Now that Alonia and ... and Elexia are with him he is even more caring. This place ... and you are special, we elves take much for granted but now you are changing that. I will ask the prince to release my oath. I wish to help, to be a part of this. I would like to learn and to teach.”

He grinned, “I was only half serous about your ... daughter.”

I smiled as I waved him on, “what is your name?”

“Garith.”

We were walking up on Elizabeth and her daughters and granddaughters sitting in a group. Elvan, James, his father, Teral and another Elf were sitting with them but were talking to several Mair. I smiled at my wife and held out my arms, “Love?”

She looked up and grinned as she stood, “what took you so long?”

I laughed and kissed her, “I kept getting delayed.”

I looked down at Cynthia and Thomas, “Lover? Thank you for keeping her safe.”

I could feel her caress and smiled as I looked at Ginger, “daughter I brought a ranger that only wanted to be healed by my unattached daughter. He was quite insistent that he meet you.”

She looked from me to Garith and with a straight face, “is he house broken? You know how hard Jen has been working to train Elvan.”

The elves sitting with them fell over laughing as Elvan laughed and protested. Garith grinned but I noticed he was looking more at Amanda than Ginger. Ginger stood and stepped closer and placed her hand on his other shoulder and looked close at his shoulder, “could you remove the arrow father?”

I reached into Garith and pressed on the nerves and then taking the stub of arrow sticking out I pulled. He grunted but said nothing as it came free and the wound started spurting blood. Ginger’s healing magic swept over us and it stopped bleeding. I watched the wound close and smiled as Garith sighed.

Ginger looked into his face, “better?”

He nodded, “yes, thank you.”

She grinned, “still think you want to meet me?”

He grinned back but shook his head and leaned forward, “I think you are beautiful but could you tell me who the girl that was sitting next to you is?”

Ginger laughed as she turned to Amanda, “Amanda? I scared him off. He wants to meet you instead.”

Amanda smiled wickedly as she looked up, “has he asked mother and father’s permission yet? That is what Elvan did, although Jen did say he tried to buy her first.”

Everyone was laughing again but Garith bowed to Amanda and turned to Elizabeth and me, “Master? Mistress? I ask your permission to court your daughter Amanda.”

Elizabeth looked at me smiling. I turned to Amanda and held out my hand. She stood and walked to us wearing a grin, “yes father?”

I looked into her eyes, “seriously Amanda. Do you think you are ready?”

She smiled as she gently touched my cheek, “perhaps not for ... not to be intimate. I have watched mother with you and I have watched Jen and Cassy. If he would like get to know me then I will listen to what he has to say and make up my mind like you told us.”

I nodded and looked at Garith, “you heard her. Pay attention to what she says but more importantly listen to what she does not.”

I turned to Elizabeth, “family meeting in the nursery. I think it is time I told my story to all the girls.”

She smiled as she took my arm and turned towards the Keep entrance, “I will try to keep you from exaggerating too much.”

I laughed as she looked back, “Elvan? Girls? Family time in the nursery.”

Cynthia was walking along side us, “chosen? The Mair ask if they can come too.”

I nodded, “of course. Are you staying or disappearing to find some available tom to sooth you?”

I heard her laugh as Elizabeth squeezed my arm, “sometimes a lady just needs attention.”

At the hallway leading to the door into the nursery there were a dozen guards standing around and I stopped, “this is not going to do. Either you go into the nursery or wait outside.”

They looked at each other and then shrugged. Opening the door into the nursery they went in. Elizabeth and I followed them in and as soon as I came through the door all the girls shrieked and ran for me. Elizabeth started laughing as they knocked me over trying to hug me. I was laughing so hard that I could not pull them off.

Cat and Sam came to my rescue and we finally got them settled. I looked around to realize that there were a lot more people here than normal. Little Melissa took my hand and started pulling me towards the girls play area as I laughed and sat pulling her onto my lap, “listen up!”

I waited until it quieted, “I am going to tell a story I want you to hear. For me it is a special story.”

I had decided to try something with my magic and gathered my thoughts before calling out, “Anon.”

All the lights died and the children screamed and cried. I projected my illusion into the air in the center of the room. It looked like I stood in a sunny meadow, “quiet!”

The sound echoed from the walls even though that too was illusion. The room went silent and the figure of myself slowly turned in a circle until everyone had seen him, “daughters and guests, this is a story of beginning. Of my beginning, it is full of many things, horror, shock, anger. It has adventure and excitement but most of all it tells of love. Will you listen to my story?”

The figure stood waiting and there was a murmur before Krystal spoke up, “I want to hear it father.”

That was all it took and all the other girls chimed in with the same thing. The figure bowed, “sometimes it will get dark but do not fear, there are many here to protect you.”

The scene faded and slowly another took its place. It showed a burned out building and a figure lying in a room. I looked away and around the room as my story here began. Even as my story started more people were coming into the room. Most were my adopted daughters but there were others, neighbors and people I had come to know.

Sam drew my attention back to the story, “Michael? That is a little exaggerated don’t you think?”

I looked up and smiled. The story had stopped, it was me in the Marketplace. It showed Sam as she was trying to pick my pocket. She was dancing around with her hand stuck in my pocket, her figure was greatly exaggerated and she had long hair down past her waist. The children were all laughing as the figure put his hands on his hips and stuck out his tongue.

He waved his hands and the scene started over again, this time like it was supposed to. I glanced at the door when the mages entered and froze, looking at the illusion. They shifted around and broke up into groups. I saw Artimas and Summer, Edward and Selina and then there was Nathen with Virginia’s grandmother and grandfather.

All the children started laughing and again Sam called out, “Michael?”

I glanced up to see myself swimming in the air. The figure sighed and waved and he was again moving across a roof top heading for Schaffer’s. When the door opened again and a woman came in I was surprised to recognize Virginia, Talia, and Rosie’s mother. She looked around and moved to a clear space before sitting and looking around.

I glanced around to find her mother sitting not too far away holding Talia’s hand. When the girls started laughing again a few minutes later I looked up to see a smaller Cat dancing around the bond merchant hitting him with a broom. I laughed but Cat cleared her throat smiling, “Michael?”

The scene stopped with my figure standing with his hands on his hips looking at Cat, “but you could have.”

Cat shook her head smiling, “do it right.”

He sighed and waved his hand and the scene went back to what really happened. I glanced back to the wall behind me. John, Ann and Julie were holding hands with their children in their laps. I had not even seen them come in. I squeezed Melissa and lifted her off my lap, whispering, “keep watching sweetie, someone needs my help.”

I carefully moved until I was behind the triplet’s mother and reached out to lightly touch Virginia. She turned to see who was there and I waved at her. She smiled and stood up, walking towards me. When she reached me I pulled her head down and whispered that I wanted her to sit in this woman’s lap.

She looked at me curiously but did as I asked, even leaning back against her as she accepted her in her lap without complaint. Everyone started laughing and I looked up to see dwarfs in a courtyard. They were hammering away on tiny dolls and Cat was doing a dance around them wearing a bright red and yellow outfit.

Cat laughed, “Michael?”

The scene stopped and my figure laughed as he waved his hand. I looked back down to see Virginia’s mom unconsciously stroking her hair. I reached out again to Rosie and when she looked I gestured. She slipped over to me and I whispered for her to sit next to the woman and hold her hand.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.