A New Beginning - Cover

A New Beginning

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 12

Day Six - The Hindenburg, mage council rebuked, a new squire, Julie’s love, the start of a new estate

I woke to Cynthia tickling my nose with her tail. Jessie was sleeping soundly on my chest and I knew it was still early. I turned my head to see Elizabeth’s new familiar rubbing his face against hers, “good morning Cynthia. Making sure he wakes his own chosen this morning?”

I heard her laugh as Elizabeth opened her eyes. She smiled and whispered, “morning Thomas.”

I freed a hand to reach up and give Cynthia a caress, “where were you last night?”

She started purring, “I was talking to a friend about William and the Council. Come chosen, time for you to be up.”

As she made her way to the side of the bed and I gently slid Jessie off me. She only moaned in her sleep and turned to drape herself onto Elizabeth. I carefully moved and kissed my sleepy eyed mage. As I was carefully making my way over Cat she opened her eyes. She smiled and pulled me down onto her.

I laughed softly into her ear and whispered that she had to give me time to recover from last night. She nipped my ear but let me go to turn towards Elizabeth. When she saw Jessie I heard a soft growl and Cynthia chuckled in the back of my head. I slipped on a robe and followed Cynthia out, “did you want something to eat Cynthia?”

She looked back at me, “no and the kittens have already had their breakfast. I wanted to talk to you about the mage council.”

By the time we had reached the stairs I had decided to go to the craftroom, “what about them?”

“You heard William yesterday. They have become more authoritive over the last few years. They will try to sanction you or even worse.”

I thought about what she had said. When we reached the craftroom I looked down, “than I will have to make good on what I told William.”

I heard her sigh as we entered the room, “you can not just challenge them. It would not change the sanctions of their rulings. It has to be done in a certain way. You have to challenge the ruling itself.”

I saw one of the Mair standing on one of the tables and walked over to her as I continued talking to Cynthia in my head, “so I will challenge the ruling and then what?”

The Mair on the table turned as I approached and I saw it was the young girl from yesterday, “trying to design an airplane?”

She smiled, “yes but they do not know what it is.”

I laughed, “we would have to build a landing strip for one anyway. I thought about something else though.”

I sat down and pulled a piece of parchment closer before dipping a pen in an inkwell. Cynthia jumped onto the table, startling the girl until she said something to her and lay down next to the drawing, “you have to state that the challenge is to amend or reverse the ruling.”

Slowly the frame of a dirigible took shape on the sketch, “and if they refuse to amend or reverse the ruling?”

I heard Cynthia’s growl in my head, “then you have to challenge them one at a time. After each, if you win, you have to again challenge the ruling until either there are no more councilors or the ruling is changed. Another thing, if any refuse, their position on the council is forfeit. The exception is if they voted in your favor.”

I had almost finished the sketch with the young Mair standing at the edge. When she did not see any burners she asked what kept it up and I explained about hydrogen and how it was extracted from water. I called for a craftsman and a second later I was answered. I told them what I wanted and how they could get the hydrogen.

I told the young Mair that if she was really interested in airplanes she could find me before I had classes in the evening. I would sit down and sketch one for her. I picked Cynthia up and carried her as I went back to the room. As I got close Cynthia started purring again, “your mates are at it again. You might as well put me down.”

I caressed her face and set her down. She was joined by Thomas as she turned and walked back towards the stairs and I heard, “enjoy your mates chosen.”

When I came into the room I saw that all the little girls were out of the bed and the covers thrown back. Sam, Cat and Elizabeth were entangled in the center of the bed. I smiled and dropped my robe to join them. An hour later I had finally chased them out of bed and into the bath.

Sam complained that one of the little girls had grabbed her breast and she thought she was going to have a bruise. Elizabeth and Cat just had to see and it turned into a splashing match. I picked up the hybrid and the rifle. When I left Cat and Sam were still fussing over dressing Elizabeth and had said they would stay with her instead of coming to the practice fields.

I found Amanda and Theresa looking lost as I came down the stairs. They were looking for Elizabeth, I sent them up to see her in our bedroom. I knocked on Elizabeth’s old door and Aretha called for me to enter. I stepped into the room and saw that he was up and dressed. I closed the door and walked to the bed.

I reached out feeling Julianna and even before I reached the bed I knew she had conceived. I smiled as I told her and Aretha. I also told them she would have to take things easy or risk having a miscarriage. In the kitchen it was a little hectic but not to bad. Ann and John were sitting together eating breakfast.

I joined them and before I could even ask one of the girls that had been freed shyly set a plate in front of me while another put down a coffee cup. Ann said the other kitchen was a lot bigger and Margaret was setting it up this morning. I cleaned the rifles while I ate and then extended the hunting rifle to John along with the pouch of ammo, “if Darren is done you may need this when you have the workers start marking the area.”

He took it gingerly and as I had shown him, checked to see if it was loaded. I stood and slung the hybrid. I was just reaching the gate when Nathen came hurrying in. He stopped me, “the Mage Council is going to order that you be bonded and your property seized!”

I told him to tell John and left jogging towards the building that housed the Mage council. I stopped a block short and walked the rest of the way catching my breath. When I reached the doors I did not stop to knock. Centering myself I reached out and ripped them off the hinges. Without pausing I walked in and grabbed the second set of doors and did it again.

As I walked in there were two mages facing the council and William pointed at me, “there he is. Take him!”

I did not even slow down as I reached out and slammed the two mages together. Then I was standing over their unconscious bodies as I looked at the council remembering Cynthia’s advice, “I challenge this councils ruling over me!”

William’s face was livid, “we have put you in bond! You no longer have any rights.”

I smiled a cold smile, “as a mage I have the right to challenge any ruling over me, to have it amended or reversed.”

William sat with a smirk, “fine. The bond stands.”

My smile turned even colder as I stepped closer, “that is fine. Since you want it to stand then as it is my right I challenge you to duel Arcane.”

He smiled and leaned back, “the council is immune to challenge while it sits.”

I took another step closer, “not when they have been challenged over amending or reversing a ruling. What will it be William?”

He flushed and another spoke up, “he has the right William.”

William sat forward suddenly, “fine. I refuse to dirty my hands on you.”

I reached out and grabbed him. Hauling him over the table until I was in his face. “Since you have refused my challenge over your ruling then your position on this council is forfeit according to the mage law.”

I turned and tossed him through the doors. I looked around the council room, “I challenge this council’s ruling over me.”

They were looking at each other and one that was heavily bearded stood up, “this council refuses to let you intimidate it. The ruling stands.”

I nodded, “I challenge you to a duel arcane.”

The mage did not even wait for me to finish. A bolt of lightning struck the shield I had placed around myself using my chi. Before he could do it again I reached out and slammed his head into the table before tossing his unconscious body against the wall behind him. Again I looked at the council, “I challenge this council’s ruling over me.”

As I finished I felt Cat, Sam and Elizabeth running in the outer door and a mage behind me threw a ball of fire at me. It engulfed my shield as I turned and drew the White Hawk and shot him three times in the chest. I looked around at the stunned council, “well?”

Another mage stood licking his lips, “what if we amend it to sanctions against you?”

I looked at him, “you want to sanction me for standing up to you? For defending helpless women and children? I do not think so.”

The mage licked his lips, “then we are at an impasse. Your challenges will mean nothing if you duel all of us and no one is left.”

The girls stopped at the inner door and I stepped closer to the mage, “not exactly. If I have to go through the entire council I will. When the last one falls the ruling will automatically be voided.”

He nervously licked his lips again and I felt even more mages coming through the outer doors. He looked at the door with hope in his eyes and when I glanced that way I saw Artimas in front of the other mages. I smiled and turned back as the mage seemed to flinch, “your answer mage?”

He looked at the others and I saw two sitting together at the end of the table shake their heads, “you know we are out of this. You voted for it, you handle it.”

The mage looked back at me, “I can not.”

I nodded, “Very well. I challenge you to a Duel Arcane.”

The mage stammered and nodded at the same time as he brought up a shield around himself. I used a projection of force and punched him before slamming him into the wall that was behind him. I looked at the two remaining mages that had voted for the ruling as he slid to the floor, “I challenge this council’s ruling over me.”

They looked at one another and the female mage stood, “we yield to your challenge and reverse our ruling.”

I looked at them and nodded, “before I go you should know this council’s days of arbitrary rulings is over. This council is here to represent mages not rule them.”

I turned to the door and was surprised at the size of the crowd of mages. I made my way to the girls and smiled as Elizabeth was the first to run into my arms. After she hugged and kissed me she moved so Sam could take her turn. When Cat stepped in though she nipped my ear and whispered, “next time you wait for us.”

I laughed and turned to the crowd. Zachary and Markus both stood beside Artimas. The five girls that had been below Pendar’s Keep were behind them. I saw what I could only guess were their mothers holding them. The crowd parted and as I was going through I heard a groan. Looking down I saw William stirring on the floor and heard Artimas speaking to the council.

Outside Cynthia was sitting on the ground washing. I smiled, “what happened to you?”

She looked up, “do you have any idea how dirty a cat gets just crossing this city?”

I laughed and turned towards the Practice Fields. Cat asked where I was going and I smiled at her and held my hand out, “to work out my frustrations.”

Elizabeth laughed as she took my other hand, “did you not just do that?”

I grinned, “Well I do feel a little better.”

Sam took Elizabeth’s other hand, “So you are going to take out your frustrations on poor Samil?”

Cat and I laughed but Elizabeth only looked at us until Cat told her Samil was my friend. When we reached the field I was surprised to see Sylvan waiting with Samil, James and Teral. I ask Sam to send a runner to let John and Ann know what had happened. I smiled as I approached Samil, “feel like a bout today? I need to work off some steam.”

I was surprised when Sylvan spoke up, “I would not mind practicing with you.”

I looked at Samil’s smile, “he might surprise you Michael. Although I did hear that your young human Jenny tossed him on the ground more than once.”

James bristled but Sylvan laughed, “served me right for taking it for granted that I knew what I was doing.”

I waved my hand to the practice rack, “pick your poison.”

Sylvan looked at me as we walked to the rack, “poison?”

I laughed, “the weapon you want me to beat you with.”

He smiled as he choose two short swords, “be gentle with me. I do not know that much about swords.”

I laughed again as I choose mine, “and I can fly.”

He laughed with me as we moved to an empty circle. We faced each other and I bowed. I was surprised when he returned it and we both seemed to embrace the moment. I had not enjoyed a match like this since I had faced my master or Samil. Strike, block, lunge, parry and the dance went on.

It ended when I took one of his swords and then only a moment later the other. I stepped away and bowed feeling myself flush and sweating. Sylvan returned the bow and that was when we realized the size of the crowd around us as they applauded. Putting the practice swords away I noticed that there seemed to be quite a few elves in the crowd.

As we walked back towards Samil I looked at Sylvan, “am I going to have elves visiting me to make me pay for beating you?”

He looked at the crowd and laughed, “more then likely they will seek you out to ask for lessons. They are my rangers and I practice with them often.”

I could see Elizabeth’s eyes shining as I walked up. Samil’s smile looked like it was one that said I told you so and Sylvan chuckled. Turning to James, “did you learn anything?”

James gave a brief bow, “yes. I must make sure the two of you are on my side in a fight.”

We all laughed and I turned to the girls but Sylvan stopped me, “yesterday I said you should teach me and today only proves it. I offer myself as apprentice to you.”

James gasped but Teral and Samil ignored it as I turned to face Sylvan, “I have three apprentices already. Unless you wanted to learn medicine as well?”

Sylvan was still smiling, “if not an apprentice than how about as your squire? I will spend the time with you learning your martial skills.”

I detected something in his tone and knew if I was going to let him come with me to get Cat’s mother and sisters, he would need to learn about my weapons, “very well. But for a trial period only, no crowds following us around inside my home.”

He bowed and held his arm out to Cat who had been closest to him, “it would be my pleasure if you would accept my escort lovely lady.”

I laughed as she gave him a big grin and took his arm. I took Elizabeth and Sam’s arms in mine and we headed home. When we reached the estate and its quiet turmoil Ann was watching the gate when we came in. She opened the door to say something to someone inside. When John came out I understood.

I stopped long enough to explain that the mages had changed their minds and everything was fine. He looked at me suspiciously, “changed their minds? How many were still standing when you left?”

I looked innocently at Elizabeth, “well two were still in their chairs and two were standing, so two.”

Sam laughed as she pulled Elizabeth away, “come on Cat. Michael can do the clinic today.”

I saw a smug look pass amongst them as they headed towards the passageway down to the river. I looked at John, “you have not found any traps in the clinic today have you?”

He shook his head, “I am not about to give away their secrets. They might start planning something for me.”

Turning I headed towards the passageway as I looked at Sylvan. I took the hybrid off and removed the magazine and cleared the chamber. I gave him a brief class on how it worked and had him sling it over his shoulder and under his right arm. When I came into the passageway the same girl was there from the day before.

This time she knew who I was and gave me a brief. When I finally found Sarah she was checking a pregnant woman. I saw that Paul was still with her. She looked up as I came in and smiled, I reminded myself to have her brace made. She gave me a brief and said Cassy and Ashley were in the last room on the left with several other girls and they wanted to see me.

The way she said it I knew it was whatever the girls had planned for me. I gave her a long look and she suddenly giggled. I sighed and looked at Sylvan, “you might as well go to the kitchen and ask if they will feed you. I have a feeling the girls plans may take awhile. You can probably find them by the river gloating.”

He laughed as he left and I turned for the last room. For a change there was a curtain across the doorway. I stepped into the room and blinked. There were fifteen naked girls in the room, the only ones I recognized were Cassy and Ashley.

Cassy walked up to me shyly, “father ... mother Cat said to have you examine us. She said to tell you that you are to remove anything that will be painful to the girls. Like their maidenhead?”

I closed my eyes, (I would have to find a way to thank her. Like with a spanking) I opened them and gestured for Cassy to climb up on the bed. Actually it was a good idea for me to examine her. It gave me a chance to check on her pregnancy. It was a long morning, as soon as I finished with one group another would come in.

Most were fearful until they were reassured and when I did not attack the first girls they even relaxed. There were some though that I did not even try to touch. They had just been treated too badly. Julie was the last girl left and she was very brave. She suffered the indignities of my exam and as the other girls left she waited with her head down.

By the way she was standing I could tell something was bothering her, “Julie? Did you need something?”

She nodded and gave me a frightened glance before looking back at the floor. I smiled, “did you want to talk about it?”

She nodded and looked up at me, this time the fear was plain to see. I crossed to her and held her, “it is ok. You do not have to be afraid. What is wrong?”

She bit her lip, “Ashley said not to be afraid of you, that I should talk to you but...”

I could see she was still afraid and hugged her. I turned for the door, keeping her against my side we walked out, “we will take a walk and when you feel like it you can tell me.”

We took the stairs and I felt her tense even more at my floor but I continued up and she seemed to relax. As we came out into the Keep I looked around. Jeremy had a class going not too far away but I turned towards the door. As we went out she looked up at me, “Ashley said you helped her with Gentle?”

I smiled at her as we started walking around the Keep, “have you seen someone you would like to be with?”

As she continued to look at me I could see the fear again but she nodded. I squeezed her, “one of the men working around here?”

I could see her hesitate as if she wanted to say yes but, “no.”

We stopped and looking out over the grass and trees across the river, “someone else you have seen?”

There was a pause and I felt her tremble as she looked at me with fear in her eyes, “the woman that runs the kitchen, Ann.”

I smiled and gave her another squeeze, “you know she is married to John and loves him. Was that why you hesitated when I asked if it was a worker?”

She nodded still looking at me but her fear seemed to be retreating, “how do you feel about John?”

She whispered, “he is big.”

I laughed, “are you afraid of him?”

I saw an unconscious smile come to her face, “no.”

I squeezed her, “why don’t we go ask them if we can talk to them?”

She looked at me and I could still feel her trembling, “you do not think it is wrong?”

I turned her and we started walking back, “wrong? To be attracted to someone?”

She did not answer until we were going down the stairs, “to want to be with another woman.”

I laughed, “Julie, let me ask you this. If John were to ask you to come to their room and make love to him would you do it?”

She was silent until we were leaving the passageway when she looked at me, “yes.”

I smiled at her gently, “why?”

Before she could answer I stopped one of the women that had come out of the kitchen and asked for Ann and she directed us to the river. As we were going down the stairs Julie stopped and I faced her, “I thought about it and at first I thought because he is Ann’s husband. But the more I think about it I know that is not it.”

She looked into my eyes, “I do not know why.”

As we came out the door I saw more than a dozen children splashing in the river with Gentle and Paul, a wet Sam sat beside Ann and Julianna. We crossed to them and I felt Julie go tense again when we stopped. I bent and kissed Sam, “trickster, where is your evil twin?”

Julianna laughed, “she said something about taking Elizabeth to her therapy?”

It was a moment before Sam whispered, “in the bedroom?”

I started laughing and Julianna looked at me curiously, “what therapy could they do in the bedroom?”

I grinned at her, “the magic strands loosen when she relaxes, right?”

She frowned and nodded and I grinned and bent to kiss Sam before looking back at her, “what happens after you and Aretha make love?”

Ann started laughing and I saw understanding cross Julianna’s face. I looked at Ann, “actually I ... we, came to find you. I was wondering if we could talk to you and John.”

Sam looked up and then at Julie who was trying to get even closer to me. I had a sudden thought about all the people suddenly falling in love around here and looked at Julianna, “Julianna? How do you check for the bonds you were talking about?”

She was surprised and looked from me to Julie and before I could explain I felt her magic sweep Julie and saw both Ann and her stumbling together. Thinking of the effect it had on me I turned and ran for the stairs. It was only moments before I reached the bridge and started across. As I reached the other side I saw Peter and another man half carrying John towards the bridge.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.