The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 49

A lookout warned him of a dust cloud approaching along the track. He sent a runner to stop them a mile from the ford. The chosen men had slowly gathered behind the embankment as their comrades slipped into their vacant rifle and machine gun posts. All the men had filled water bottles and carried rations and extra ammunition in their saddlebags along with their bedrolls. He told them to make their way to the horses but to avoid making too much dust. He remained behind in the command post alongside of the telegraphist. It was an hour later that the key began to chatter. He lent over the man as he wrote down the message. Askaris had attacked Mamoie Ford and had been stopped dead. David gave instructions for the men from each ford to prepare to receive horses.

David threw his saddlebags over his shoulder and carrying his rifle set off for the horses. When he arrived he was surprised to find Susan, Martin, Jill, Yasmin, Hanga, and Ali had brought the horses forward. He detailed four Gurkhas to take twenty-five horses to Tambar Ford and to meet up with them above Mamoie Ford. He quickly kissed Susan saying that all was well. The Lewis guns and magazines were packed onto some of the mules; some already carried water skins and rations. After a quick farewell, he mounted Zeus as the column fell in behind him, then set off at a brisk trot.

It took two hours to reach Mamoie Ford; Sultar was there to welcome him. As the men watered the horses Sultar brought him up to date. “About fifty Askari tried to cross, but as soon as we opened fire they ran back. I sent a scout across an hour ago. Everyone had gone but he reported a large amount of horse tracks leading up-river.”

David nodded, “Are your men ready to ride?” he asked.

Sultar smiled, “All handpicked,” he said throwing his saddlebags over his shoulder and picking up his rifle.

David frowned, “You’re not going,” he said.

Sultar said seriously, “You need a good second in command. My lieutenant is more than capable of looking after things here. Besides my horse is there,” he said pointing.

David then saw the German stallion that he had captured which Sultar now rode.

Sultar smiled, “I told them back at the rift to make sure they included it.”

David shook his head, “Okay, you win ... mount up.” He needn’t have spoken as Sultar was already mounting. They set of again after leaving instructions for the men from Tamba Ford to try and catch up with them. David pushed the column hard, but it still took over three hours before they topped the ridge leading down to the ford ... and his heart sank.

Germans and Askaris were digging in on this side of the ford. There looked to be around sixty digging trenches in front of the ford, whilst Askaris stood up to their waists in the river to mark the edges of the ford and Uhlans crossed in pairs. Through his binoculars he could see over a hundred had already crossed and were dismounted drying out their boots and equipment. He rapidly issued orders to Sultar. “Take your men and two Lewis guns and keep them busy down on the ford. Try to stop them crossing. I’m going to circle around the ridge and come up in front of the cavalry; they’ll have to charge up the slope to attack us.”

He and Sultar wheeled their horses back to the column, which was still behind the ridge. Sultar barked out orders as men dismounted; some unshipping the Lewis guns and magazines from the mules, as David led the others along the ridge with Rham now at his side. When he judged he was in the right place he dismounted and carrying his binoculars crept over the skyline. Looking down he had a clearer view of the Uhlans as they hastily pulled on boots and fastened their equipment. He noticed that German soldiers were also mixed in with them and were rushing with their rifles to where Sultar’s men had opened fire.

He rushed back to the column as the men dismounted, gathering the NCOs and Rham around him he quickly gave orders, “Spread out along here. I want a Lewis gun at each end of the line. Tell the men to keep flat down on their stomachs. We may have to repel a cavalry charge.” The NCOs dashed off to relay the orders. The men crawled on their bellies over the skyline utilising any available cover. David adjusted his rifle sights to what he thought was six hundred yards to the enemy; a long shot, but he had men who knew how to shoot. He aimed at an officer giving orders to the soldiers and was rewarded by seeing him fall after squeezing the trigger. Rifles were cracking all along the line now as the German soldiers dived for cover and started to return fire.

He put his rifle down to look through the binoculars. The Uhlans had hastily moved behind a hump in the slope that hid them from view. Looking towards the ford, he saw it was now empty; a few bodies drifty slowly downstream while four riderless horses galloped along the riverside. Switching to Sultar’s position he saw some of the Gurkhas using their kukri’s to dig shallow rifle pits. Some he saw were lying still. Sultar’s position was closer to the ford than his and was under fire from across the ford.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.