The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 47

At an Officers Call back at the Crater, David addressed them. “Well gentlemen, we have done as much as we can to prepare. We hold strong positions in that the enemy will find it difficult to climb the flood banks in front of them. Our only weakness is if they get behind us. Their artillery could be a problem but if they are like the needle guns used in India they only have a range of about a mile. Our mortars could give them a nasty surprise so the only real problem will be the aircraft if they use bombs. I therefore propose that when we know they are due to attack we mount a raid to destroy them first.” He looked around the room as each head nodded in agreement.

Stanley spoke up, “Forty-eight of the Home Guard have volunteered to guard the howitzers.”

David smiled, “Now for the chain of command ... Major Mainwaring will be second-in-command to me at Mamboie Ford with his Australians and Lieutenant Rham with twenty Gurkhas. Major Sultar will be in command of Mamoie Ford with eighty hunters and Gurkhas. Captain Tartrha will command at Tambar Ford with eighty hunters and Gurkhas. Captain Stanley along with Lieutenant Norris’s gunners will be in charge of the guns and the defence of them with his Home Guard.

“I don’t propose to fully man the outposts until the last minute. As far as the observers in the aircraft are concerned there are only the few men they have seen guarding them. When we do man them, the men will need to take provisions with them to last a week. The horses will be sent to the rift undercover. Patar has begun stockpiling fodder for them and some of N’debi’s boys will help him along with Martin and Jill. Susan and Yasmin insist on setting up a hospital there as well, for any wounded. N’debi and his warriors will transport the wounded with mules as and when required. Okay ... any questions?”

“The airfield is closest to my ford,” Sultar said. “So we will destroy them,” he said grimly.

David nodded his head, “Agreed.”

The following week the Lewis guns arrived with more ammunition, along with a letter from Robert. Agents had reported that a full regiment of Uhlans along with their horses were due to set sail in the next two weeks. The postmark was over a month old. The Lewis guns were divided out amongst the three posts with six magazines for each gun.

Later that night as he undressed for bed Susan asked him, “David tell me the truth, how bad is it?” she said from the bed. He had never lied to her, knowing she was a strong character and not the usual mincing type of female. “If we can’t hold them at the river, British East Africa will be overrun. If the Askaris reach the rift you know what they’ll do to you, Jill, and Yasmin.”

Susan’s face went white but she nodded bravely, “I’ve given your old Smith and Wesson’s to Yasmin and Jill. We know what to do ... they won’t take us alive. I’ve arranged for all the children in the Crater to go to Nairobi; they should be safer there.”

David took her in his arms and kissed her tear filled face. “Don’t worry darling. They have to get past us first.” They slept in each other’s arms, each thinking of what was to come.

Pamhar crossed the river to report that he had overheard the Uhlan Colonel say in the mess that his troops would be ready for action in a week. He said the officers present were in a happy mood at the prospect of what was to come.

Sultar sent the message on to David that he would be taking care of the aircraft in the next two days, and that he had recalled the four Gurkhas. David sent word to all the commanders to assemble their men and take up positions on the night of the twelfth. Hanga packed his saddlebags making sure his flask was filled and he had enough cheroots and ammunition for the Colt and Luger automatics. His kukri had a razor edge and his rifle shone from cleaning. His bandolier had been checked and filled; all was in readiness and there only remained his binoculars, cutthroat razors, brush and soap. Hanga and Ali had insisted on going to the rift with Susan.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.