The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 42

Five weeks later Robert Keeling appeared at the Crater dressed in civilian clothes. Susan hugged him and made him welcome. Over dinner, with Sultar and Yasmin present, he explained his visit. “I’m on a tour of strategic areas where there is likely to be conflict in the event of war. I’ve just been down to Cape Town to see how they are organised. When I leave here I’ll be going around the Horn of Africa and travelling up the Red Sea through to Suez. The Canal is vital to us. But we have learned of an impending treaty with the Ottoman Empire and Germany which could be a threat if they decide to move against Suez.” They listened with dismay at Robert’s disclosures.

“So if war does come,” Susan exclaimed, “it will be fought on a global scale?”

Robert nodded, “Yes, it will be a world war, fought on land, sea and air.”

Sultar frowned, “Air? I don’t understand,” he murmured.

Robert smiled, “Flying machines have undergone a rapid development since the Wright Brothers’ flight, in Europe by the Germans, French, and us. They’re mainly used for artillery spotting and reconnaissance at the moment but we know Germany is looking at developing aircraft that could carry bombs. They already have giant balloons made by Count Zeppelin that can do that. In fact, our agents have discovered that two aircraft were shipped out here to East Africa.”

David looked at Sultar at this news. Later he and Sultar showed Robert into his study to see the progress they had made in their preparations. Robert studied the maps and listened to David’s thoughts regarding the German’s attack plans. “I concur regarding the attack route David, the only thing I would add is if they do use aircraft, it will be to reconnoitre their attack route first. You would be wise to make sure you are not seen.” Robert left two days later saying to expect more shipments from England.

At one of the officers’ meetings David discussed the threat of aircraft spotting them in the rift. Stanley came up with the answer, “When we take up position at a water hole to give a customer a clear shot, we put a net hide over us to stop the birds giving the alarm. It’s just a fishing net with strips of sacking woven into it. Seen from the top of a tree it’s amazing how it blends in with the land below.”

David smiled at the disclosure, “We could get big fishing nets from Mombasa and connect them together.” Stanley agreed to go to Mombasa and buy some and Sultar said the Gurkhas would see to the sacking.

David staked out an area at the bottom of the crater to reproduce the length and width of the rift. Sultar’s men then connected the nets together and began lacing the sacking into them. Some of the sacks had been dyed various colours of green and brown. Other nets were to be used for Stanley’s troop. When completed they were carefully rolled up and placed on a wagon. It took the two Gurkha troops three days to erect it level with the rift edge, whilst lookouts kept vigil on the horizon. Clumps of grass and bushes were added to the nets until David was satisfied.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.