The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 40

The years rolled by and the Crater prospered. Nairobi grew larger with new settlers coming from all parts of Europe to find a new life in Africa.

Susan had been asking David to take the family back home to England so she could show the children to her parents, but he always found an excuse to put it off. Finally, in late 1911, he took Susan and the children to England to see their grandparents. After an initial stay with them they travelled back to London so Susan could see her old Professor and catch up on medical developments, whilst he travelled on to Birmingham to see Henry and Peter. Sitting in Henry’s study he was brought up to date with developments in Europe.

“Europe is re-arming, David. The Kaiser has begun building a fleet to challenge the size of the Royal Navy. Their armaments factories are churning out guns, big guns, and the army has been trebled in size. The French have followed suit, but as usual Britain is lagging behind. Europe is a tinder box where a spark will set it off.”

Peter took up the story, “If it comes to war it would be on a scale never before imagined, fought with weapons never before used on such a mass scale. They have machine guns that fire 600 rounds a minute and the British Army increases its cavalry size, the idiots. They’ve developed chemical weapons in the form of gas that can be delivered by artillery. It will make the Boer War look like a picnic party.”

David sat and digested this alarming news before commenting, “German East Africa is only sixty miles from the Crater. Would they dare attack us there?”

“David,” Henry replied, “if war comes it will be on a worldwide stage.”

“Then it’s only prudent that I prepare for it, to defend my home,” David replied.

Before he left for London he placed an order for three Vickers machine guns, three mortars and 400 various mortar bomb configurations, along with ten .303 rifles and two hundred and fifty thousand rounds of ammunition, leaving instructions with them to include anything else they thought would be of help. On his way back on the train he remembered what Peter had said about it being a mechanised war if it came. The internal combustion engine was being used now in increasing numbers. He had seen evidence of this on the streets of London and Birmingham.

When he reached the Ascot Hotel he found a message waiting for him. A Colonel Keeling hoped he would dine with him the following night at his club in the Strand. An address had been attached to the message. David smiled, it would be good to catch up with Robert again, but he was perplexed as to how he knew he was in England.

He was conducted by an ex-military Serjeant into the smoking room of the Officers Club. The room was filled with paintings of long-ago battles and they hung from the dark oak panels that surrounded the room. Leather armchairs were spread around, where men were drinking; some in uniform. Robert rose from an armchair; a wide smile on his face with his hand extended. “David, it’s wonderful to see you again looking fit and healthy.”

Robert passed over an order for drinks to a hovering waiter, before settling back into his seat again. After replying to the state of the family and home, David asked the question that had troubled him. “How on earth did you know we were in England?” he asked.

Robert smiled, “These are troubled times we live in David. Anyone entering the country is reported from Immigration Control and the names are checked against a register. It so happened that I noticed a Mr. and Mrs. Ramage and family arriving from East Africa. I hope you will forgive me, but I contacted Henry in Birmingham with instructions to inform me if you purchased any armaments. That’s why you got the message.”

David looked alarmed. “I’ve not broken any laws by that have I?” he asked.

Robert smiled, “Of course not. The reason was to find out if you took the warnings of war seriously.”

“Well I’m not sure if I do or not, but it seemed only prudent to be prepared for the worst,” David replied.

Robert relaxed visibly, “David that’s exactly the reply I had hoped from you. I’m afraid there will be a war eventually, perhaps not this year but in a year or two. All the signs are there but some in the War Office have blinders on and refuse to see what is before them. I’m head of a department that is looking at safeguarding our overseas interests and directly reporting to the Foreign Office. Now what I’m about to say is top secret. Those areas of the globe that back onto German territory will be exposed in the event of a war breaking out. The German standing army far exceeds our own. If war does break out the main battlefield will be Europe and we will need every man to defend England. To some extent East Africa will be on its own. What troops that can be sent will go to the Cape to resist an attack from German West Africa.” Robert paused to let what he had said sink in. “If East Africa is to be defended, then it will be up to the East Africans to defend it. We can supply arms and ammunition but not manpower at the moment. What is needed is a territorial army to be raised and trained.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.