The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 37

The war dragged on into its second year and the besieged towns were liberated at a high cost of life. The war developed into hit and run by the Boers up against nearly two hundred thousand British and Dominion soldiers. A knock-on effect of the war was beef prices skyrocketed and David was sending thirty head of cattle every three weeks to Mombasa for shipment down to Cape Town. By the end of the second year the British changed their tactics to that of the Boers, using mounted infantry and cavalry. Horses were needed since the ones sent out from England suffered by not being allowed to acclimatise to the African weather or fell afoul of AHD. Thousands died within a few short weeks.

Then one afternoon a cart bearing a British Major and a civilian drew up at David’s house. David was standing on the stoop watching them as the portly Major climbed from the cart. He waited until they stood at the bottom of the steps leading up to the house. The Major brushed the dust from his uniform before addressing David. “Good day Sir, I’m Major Bambridge of Her Majesty’s Procurement division, and I’m here to buy your horses.”

David smiled, “Good day Major, I’m Colonel Ramage retired, and just how many horses, do you need?”

The Major’s face flushed at the mention of David’s rank and he puffed out his chest before continuing, “Colonel, I’m entrusted to pay £30 a head for all your horses.”

There were over 300 horses grazing out in the pasture, many with foals. David smiled sweetly. “They’re not all for sale Major, but I can let you have one hundred at £100 each ... and I will select them.”

The Majors face went red, “That’s extortionate!” He growled, “These horses are needed for Her Majesty’s Army fighting the Boers.”

“Major, that is the price ... take it or leave it. They all have been salted and the ones I select are broken to the saddle. You won’t find better horses and that is why the price is £100.”

The Major looked daggers at David, “You would make a profit whist your fellow countrymen are dying for you,” he shouted.

David’s face went white, “Major, that is a fair price, which if you knew your job you would know. As for my fellow countrymen dying for me, I would say rather they are dying due to the incompetence of their officers and the greed of Her Majesty’s Government. I wish you a good day Sir,” he said, turning on his heel and entering the house, slamming the door behind him. He watched from the window as they climbed back on the cart and drove back down the track.

Three days later the civilian returned; David met him on the stoop again. The man dismounted from the cart and approached the steps. “Colonel Ramage, I’m here to apologise for Major Bambridge’s outburst the other day. You have to forgive him. He is newly arrived from England, and assumes everyone is in agreement with this war. Nevertheless, we do need those horses and I will pay your price for them on condition you will deliver them to the marshalling yards in Nairobi.”

“I’m sorry Sir,” David replied, “but I don’t know your name.”

“Forgive me, I’m being remiss, the name is Jackson, Lionel Jackson, and I’m a senior representative of the Imperial East African Company.”

David smiled, “Well Mr. Jackson, perhaps you would care to take refreshment whilst we discuss payment.”

Mr. Jackson settled into the cane chair and took a sip of an excellent malt scotch. On the cane table between them was a cheque for £10,000.

“All the horses will be between four and five years old. They have, as I said on your last visit, all have been salted and broken to the saddle,” David informed him.

Jackson nodded his head, but his eyes were looking down over the Crater.

“This really is magnificent land you own Colonel, ideal for raising livestock,” he murmured.

David nodded agreeing, “Its only problem is it’s off the beaten track somewhat.”

“Some would think that an advantage,” Jackson replied.

David nodded, “The main problem is news. It’s always a month behind.”

“We get regular updates in the Mombasa office regarding the war. Roberts has brought Kitchener into it now. He’s adopting Boer tactics, hence the reason for the horses. However, he’s proving to be quite ruthless in his treatment of the Boer civilian population. Farms owned by active Boers in the field are being put to the torch, their fields salted, their wells poisoned, and their animals slaughtered. But the most distressing aspect of his strategy is the rounding up of the women and children, the old and infirmed, and putting them into detention camps.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.