The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 28

Three days later they boarded the Eastern Comet. They found out the first night on board that a Guy Reynolds and his wife Molly had taken the other suite. David and Susan liked them from the moment they were introduced. Guy was in his early thirties and Molly a few years younger. They had been in Bengal hunting tigers but prior to that they had been in East Africa after lion and elephant. In the long conversations the couples had together it transpired that Guy’s father had made a fortune from cotton mills and this extended holiday was to allow Guy a chance to experience his dream before taking over the family business. In the course of conversation David asked Guy which country had impressed him the most.

Guy had taken his time in replying, “That’s a difficult question to answer, David. If you mean to live in, or to visit, then I’d have two different answers. From a tourist’s point of view I’d have to say India. There’s so much to see with the Temples and Palaces. It’s a country that has the full spectrum of life, from abject poverty to obscene wealth. But if I wanted to live in a country and had the money and inclination to start a life there, then I would say East Africa, but it depends on the person’s view of life. What suits me may not suit someone else. I like the vast open spaces that it has. You can travel for days and not see anyone. Most of the Europeans are centred near Mombasa and Nairobi; they have farms up in the highlands. The soil and weather there are more conducive to farming.

“However, forty miles northwest of Nairobi you are in vast savannahs of grass, hills, and mountains. The only people you meet are the Maasia, a proud warrior-like people who are semi-nomadic. The have vast herds of cattle that they live for. We found them friendly enough if you show them respect. We were told by our guide that part of the coming of age is for a young man to kill a lion with his spear.

“The land is really not much use, other than for wild life. The soil is too poor for farming, although we did come across one place roughly a hundred miles from Nairobi. It was sheer luck really, but Molly was taken ill with heat exhaustion so we climbed up into the hills where it was cooler. We found a small stream were the water was good and camped there. While Molly rested, I decided to follow the stream in the hope that I could bag a buck for the evening meal. After climbing for about three hours I came to a rock face that rose up a hundred or so feet. The stream had vanished underground so I followed the face around until suddenly I came to a gap in the rock face. It was only about fifty feet wide but when I went through it my jaw dropped. There before me was a huge expanse of green grass with mature trees surrounded by a rock face that enclosed it all. It took me several minutes to realise what it was. It was the crater of a vast volcano that must have blown up millions of years ago. It had to be over forty miles in diameter.”

Guy chuckled, “It was like discovering Eden, and the air was so much cooler there, like England on a summer’s morning. I told my guide to rush back, break camp, and bring it back here while I explored more. I found the stream again, and followed it upwards, eventually coming to a small lake surrounded by trees up by the rock face at the top of the crater. That’s where we made camp. We stayed for over two weeks until Molly was fit again. David, it was fantastic; plenty of game to keep the larder filled. The water was so pure and clean, and there were fish in the lake. Everything for a man to make a home was there.”

David could see the dreamy faraway look in Guys face as he talked about it. “Did you ever think of buying it?” David asked.

Guy shook his head sadly, “No, my place is in England. Nevertheless, I did find out that land that far out from Nairobi, because the soil is so poor, goes for a pittance. I also discovered the Maasia won’t go any were near it is because it’s haunted by the spirit of the mountain,” he said laughing.

David told Susan about the conversation later that night, and she murmured that it sounded lovely.

On another occasion David was showing Guy were Kanda was on a map of India, which Guy had. Later Guy pulled out a map of East Africa that he had. David noticed a large part of the map appeared blank, but Guy had added penciled outlines with short notes ... lion, waterhole, and so forth. He pointed to a drawing of hills with a circle in the middle of them. “That’s where the crater was,” he mentioned. “You can have these,” he told David handing over the maps, “I’ll never use them again.” David thanked him saying he may make a safari to East Africa one day.

On another occasion they talked about guns, Guy was of the opinion that you needed at least three on safari; a .275 for small game, a .375 for lion and bigger game and at least a .450 for elephant, rhino and buffalo. “The two smaller calibers I used were smokeless cartridges, but the .450 was black powder, but it wasn’t comfortable to shoot, the kick was horrendous,” he chuckled. In turn David told him about the Cartwright .303 saying how it had helped to stop the Afghan incursions into Kanda. On some evenings the two couples would play cards or the two girls would chatter about fashions to the enjoyment of the men.

And so the voyage progressed. It was with sadness that they parted when Guy and Molly continued their journey north at London on the train, whilst David and Susan booked into the Ascot Hotel. The following day Susan went with David to the bank. Mr. Tompkins greeted him as an old friend, as he introduced Susan as his wife. “So we will have to change your account name now Mrs. Ramage,” Mr. Tompkins beamed.

Susan frowned, “I don’t understand, I have no account with this bank.”

“Oh you do, my dear,” Mr. Tompkins assured her. “I opened it myself on the Prince’s instructions, over six months ago and according to this letter,” he said referring to the letter David had handed him, “I have to transfer £50,000 into it on your behalf.”

Susan was stunned, “How much?”

Mr. Tompkins smiled, “It seems that the Prince is in your debt for actions you undertook for him.”

David chuckled, “Well darling, you can at least support me now.”

Mr. Tompkins frowned, “I would have thought with your fortune Mr. Ramage you could support yourself, the Prince has instructed me to transfer £250,000 into your account too.”

David’s face paled; Mr. Tompkins picked up some papers from his desk, “Currently you have £370,876 deposited in this bank and Mrs. Ramage £80,435 deposited. It would seem the Prince values your services most highly.” David and Susan just looked at each other too shocked to speak. Mr. Tompkins continued, “I’m instructed to provide you both with the usual cheque books and papers as I understand you have purchases to make on behalf of the Prince.”

When they left the bank they were still in a dazed state, but now armed with cheque books of their own. Back in the hotel Susan gasped, “David, we’re rich! What on earth are we to do with it?”

“I’ve not yet figured that out yet, but whatever it is we will do it together.”

The next day he travelled to Birmingham whilst Susan went off to see her old medical college. He was shown into Henry’s office where he was warmly greeted. Henry phoned and soon Peter was there as well. He had to tell of the battle in detail to them both. Peter was interested in the rockets and grenades they had used, saying he thought it would be possible to alter a mortar shell to do the same thing, but with the light suspended from a parachute. David added if he perfected it to add it to his order. The mortars, it seemed, had been upgraded in that there was a more sophisticated method of changing the range now to suit the various tails now available which David proceeded to order.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.