Walk Like a Man - Cover

Walk Like a Man

Copyright© 2019 by Coaster2

Chapter 18: The New Game in Town

Young Adult Sex Story: Chapter 18: The New Game in Town - The life and times of Joel Timmins, an Iowa transplant in Oregon. He does meet the most interesting people, including young ladies.

Caution: This Young Adult Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction  

Leanne and I got to work almost immediately in going over the NorCal requirements. Since the plant operation was very straightforward and there were no particularly complex reporting needs, it didn’t look like a daunting task. It was pretty much a simple - product in – processing – and product out - business. But a number of new reports needed would be less simple. As well as business reports, the governments wanted their fair share of information, both state and federal.

Leanne impressed me right away with a willingness to listen, as well as discuss issues that would arise. I suggested we really needed to meet the NorCal people and see what they have in mind for us. If they don’t think we’re necessary, we’d just be getting in their way.

“I have a feeling we’ll be spending a good part of our time with our people assisting them in getting used to a new system. We’re likely to be the peacemakers when the inevitable conflicts arise. Any thoughts?” I asked.

She shook her head. “That’s exactly what I’d expect,” she agreed. “Not what I hoped I would be doing, but ... a job’s a job, so we’ll have to make the best we can of it. At least you’ll have your freedom in a couple of months,” she grinned.

“Yeah,” I nodded. “I hope you’re wrong about conflicts, but I’m afraid, based on my own experience, that you may be right. Combination nursemaid and cheerleader should be the job description.”

Leanne was an attractive young woman, probably a couple of years older than me. She was of medium height, with a nice, rounded body, a clear complexion, hazel colored eyes, and a ready smile. Her hair was auburn color and was cut fairly short at the base of her neck. All in all, she was a very good looking partner.

Ben Wong and his wing-person, Samantha (just call me Sam) Childress arrived bright and early on Monday morning. Dad and Walter introduced us and Leanne and I were assigned to provide the plant tour and answer any questions. Ben was one big dude, at least six-six and easily two-fifty. He was also a quiet, good natured guy with a quick sense of humor, which was likely a prerequisite for a job like this. Sam Childress was a small, slip of a girl of indeterminate age. She could have been in her early teens other than her confident voice and no-nonsense attitude. I wondered if she would be the right kind of personality for this job, but I decided I’d have to wait and see.

The plant tour went okay. Both Leanne and I were with the two visitors and between us, there were no questions we couldn’t answer. We stopped briefly at noon for lunch in our modest break room and took the opportunity to get to know them better. I liked Ben almost immediately. He was quietly confident, and definitely knowledgeable. He wanted to know about my inventory and scheduling programs and gave me props for doing that on my own in a short time span.

Sam was quiet, but she too was knowledgeable. I had a hard time figuring out what to expect from her. It was like playing poker. I didn’t get much information from her. She was originally from Reno, while Ben was a native San Franciscan. I did gather that they both had fairly extensive field experience, so this wasn’t a first install for them.

We finished up the tour and headed back to the office to see Walter.

“So, what’s first on your list of installations?” Walter wondered.

Ben laughed. “Accounting, of course. Sam will work with your department on that portion and I’ll work with your production manager to get that portion started. Joel will work with me and Ms. Butler will work with Sam unless some other arrangement is necessary. Any questions or concerns?”

I shook my head, and saw a similar response from Leanne and Walter.

“Good. I guess we can get started then. Joel, I’ll set up the production software on my monitor and go over it with you and Mr. Chandler. We’ll do an overview of what it does, then decided what hardware we’ll need to install.”

And that’s how my summer job began. I really liked Ben’s approach. Larry Chandler had zero experience with computer systems and we had to keep encouraging him by assuring him that it wasn’t beyond his ability. Ben set up a couple of examples on his monitor to show him how simple it was to operate. Then he had Larry try a few samples. Within a half hour, I was pretty sure he had Larry on board.

I knew that all of the existing computer terminals would be replaced with a networked server and larger, flat screen, touch sensitive monitors. The keyboards and monitors would be industrial strength shielded units due to the dusty environment. Those decisions were made after the plant tour demonstrated that outside of the office, the plant was a very dusty hostile environment.

Larry was worried about data entry until Ben assured him that most of the data would come from scheduling and accounting and not require much more than adjustments to line items of volume, or timing. Again, Ben was able to show him just how simple that would be and I could see the relief on Larry’s face when he saw that.

If everything went as smoothly as that, I wouldn’t be required at all. Our next stop was the following day, with Lonnie, in shipping and receiving. Again, much of the input was done in the office and Lonnie just had to sign off or adjust volumes if necessary. He had to enter the carrier’s truck, container, or railcar number and time of arrival or shipment. Otherwise it was less work than he had now. He was also shown the laser hand unit for reading UPS labels from a distance, usually ones at the top of the racks.

Sam and Leanne had a larger struggle in Accounting and Customer Service. Most of the critical information was originated there and had to be transferred manually. The sales department would have to follow new procedures for order entry, claims (if any) and changes that might be made after order placement. I was glad I wasn’t involved with that part of the system.


“Dad, I don’t think Ben really needs me. He’s super at getting the people onside and explaining what they need to do in plain language. The system they are installing looks really simple to use, so I’ve been thinking I could drop off the project and save you some cost.”

“Do you mind if I get a second opinion on that?” he smiled.

We’d been sitting on the back deck, now a month into the installation and aside for some problems with the accounting package, there hadn’t been a hiccup yet. In fact, it looked like we could be on the system by September if things kept going the way they were.

“Have you learned a lot from this project?” he asked.

“Yeah ... I have. I’ve learned that the install crew is critical to getting the system accepted and operational. They have to be part installer, part teacher, part psychologist, and part referee. Ben is really good at that. The guys out back aren’t afraid to come and ask him questions if they get stuck, or have forgotten how to do something. He’s patient as hell. They couldn’t have picked a better guy for the job.”

Dad smiled. “I’m glad to hear that. I’ll make sure to pass that along to our partners and I’ll let him know just what you’ve told me.”

“I understand from Leanne that most of the workload in accounting and customer service is transferring old records to the new system. It is boring repetitive work, but necessary. Everyone is spending overtime trying to get the information on the new system. I’m sure you’re aware of that,” I said.

“Yes ... but as you say, it’s absolutely necessary,” Dad agreed. “It’s probably the last thing that will be completed before the hand-off by NorCal.”

“Well, according to Walter and the people at Shelter Ridge, we are ahead of their expected timetable. So far, this installation is going very, very well. So ... if Walter agrees, then I’d say you can pick your time to drop off. But ... what are you going to do for the next six weeks?” he asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. To be honest, I’m not very motivated. I may just take a vacation before I move over to EOU.”

Dad smiled but shook his head. “That’s not like you, Joel. You seem a little down, too.”

“I guess. I think the change in schools will help. I haven’t really had a vacation since we moved out here, so maybe I’m just tired.”

“Okay ... I can understand that. You’re certainly entitled to some rest and relaxation.”

Dad was right, I was a little down on energy and enthusiasm. I suppose I could blame it all on losing Naomi, but I knew that was going to happen almost from the very beginning. Since I wasn’t needed here, I had nothing to look forward to until school started in September. Maybe a trip somewhere would give me a little more energy. But where?


“Drive safely,” my mother instructed for about the tenth time. I’d packed my travel gear into the passenger side of the pickup cab and prepared to head off in search of new territory.

“Yes, Mom, I will,” I smiled as she hugged me before I climbed into the truck.

“So ... where’s your first destination?” Dad asked.

“Dunno. The coast, for sure. Highway 20 is an easy drive across to Newport, so I’ll probably start there. From there, I can head south down to the dunes, or north up toward Astoria. Depends on the weather I guess,” I shrugged.

“Well, give us a call now and then to let us know how you’re doing. But make sure you have a good time. You’ll be back hitting the books soon enough, so make the best of your vacation,” Dad smiled.

A wave and I was on my way west. I was looking forward to just going wherever my truck took me and doing whatever struck my fancy at the time. I had access to enough cash to not worry about funds, so my mind was free of constraints.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.