Walk Like a Man - Cover

Walk Like a Man

Copyright© 2019 by Coaster2

Chapter 13: A Change in Plans

Young Adult Sex Story: Chapter 13: A Change in Plans - The life and times of Joel Timmins, an Iowa transplant in Oregon. He does meet the most interesting people, including young ladies.

Caution: This Young Adult Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction  

The Christmas-New Year break was over far too soon for my liking. Naomi would be returning to Cal-Poly and we would be parted once more for several months. She gave me the impression she was uncertain about her college future after this year. She didn’t give me any reason for her lack of a clear path forward but I assumed I would know at the end of the school year. Whatever her decision, she would be back here in Clarksville for the summer and had the promise of a job at Dad’s plant if she wanted one.

My situation was not so clear. I was scheduled to take a introductory course in Business Management during the Spring semester. The course outline indicated it would provide an overview of business practices, management requirements, and a selection of courses available to achieve at least a step up toward a degree in business administration. There was a lot of practical lab work involved, but that was the appealing part of the course.

My one demonstrated skill was my recognition of problems and then working steadily toward solutions. No one told me I had to develop computer inventory or scheduling systems for my father’s plant. I just knew it was something that was both useful and, I hoped, within my capabilities. Well, looking back on it, I suppose I was lucky that both worked out well but my approach to the two efforts was practical and effective. I didn’t over-complicate the process and stuck with it until I had completed the work.

One belief I had confirmed from my efforts at East Cascade was to avoid over-complication, just as I had with the two computer programs. There were always side issues which cropped up, but keeping them from distracting me from the objective was very important. As Dad said more than once, they didn’t need a highly sophisticated system for the plant. They needed a straightforward one that everyone could understand and use. No need for a Cadillac, when a Chevvy would do. In this case, he was right.

I wondered from time to time as to how many other small companies could use simplified programs to make their business more effective and efficient. Was this a business opportunity? I heard more than once that many computer consulting companies tended toward overkill and stretched the work out over a longer period of time to justify their fees. I believed that the programs in the Off-The-Shelf category (OTS) should have been simple solutions for many operations, but they seldom had someone capable of setting them up and making them effective. Often, they were cluttered with marginal sub-programs that would never be used. Was that something I could do as a career? It was something worth exploring for the future.


Naomi and I continued to communicate by Skype, as did my mother. I could detect a note of distance in her tone now and then. I assumed it was the fact that we were apart ... both me and my family. I asked her about friends she’d made at college, but got some vague answers about other women or classmates. I wondered if she was having trouble adjusting to her college life. Although she’d been on her own at Crook College, she had friends and support from Moira, me, Marcus and others. I’d introduced her to Sharon Weller and Tory Payne while she was here for the holidays and we skied with Sharon and a couple of her friends at Mt. Bachelor a couple of times. Naomi had no trouble integrating into our group and was fascinated by Tory and his progress in college.

As the winter ended and the skiing season came to a close, I began to wonder what I could do for some recreation. I had become reasonably competent at skiing, but it was a lone sport without Naomi, so with the arrival of Spring, I wanted something that would involve others. I wasn’t cut out to be a loner. There were intramural sports at Crook, so I signed up for slow-pitch softball. I had an old glove from my younger days in Davenport and since the league was co-ed, I didn’t have to worry about being particularly gifted at the sport. I’d never been an athlete of any note but I did enjoy playing sports. Slow-pitch was ideal for me.

As May approached, I knew I was going to pass my end of semester exams without difficulty. I’d improved my study habits and my grades had improved along with them. I had one more year to see if I could qualify for a scholarship at one of the better colleges. If I had my druthers, I’d like to be at Geary Polytechnic but that was just a hope right now.

Our class was led by Tory Payne academically, just as we expected it would be. I’d continued as his sidekick and with Sharon as his instructor in all things feminine related, as well as his taekwondo development, he was becoming quite well known at the college. He’d grown quite a bit ... perhaps five or six inches in the past months, much to his relief. He still wasn’t very big, but he was beginning to show signs that he would be tall and lean, just as he had described his father.

I didn’t know Marcus Conradi was single until I learned he was dating one of the college faculty. I heard it wasn’t serious, but that was just the usual rumor mill stuff. I still enjoyed his class and found I was learning a lot from him about practical applications. He seemed to think I was on the right track if I was thinking about a career in small company applications. He suggested I do a quick survey of small businesses in the area to see if I could get some feedback on costs, effectiveness and time spent in training. I was beginning to visualize a small company that could move quickly, establish programs that were suitable for the client and train the staff in a reasonable time. That last issue was one of the real variables, since I’d already discovered that not everyone embraced a new system enthusiastically and, of course, they learned at different rates.

The more I thought about it, this was not a job for a single person. Although in the beginning perhaps one person could cope, it would be logical to assume a second and even a third person would be required to keep the tasks on the appropriate time line. That meant finding partners. I already had Naomi in mind as an ideal first choice, so at least I could visualize a start for a new business. But Marcus was right, I needed to survey the local market to find out the opinions of potential users and what kind of cost range they could accept.

And then another thought hit me: security systems. There were a number of companies offering systems to protect their computers, their businesses and their residences. Was there room for another in the market and if so, what services could be offered that would differentiate us from the others? Better to ask that question of the prospective clients. Well, this was familiar territory in one way. At least I knew what to ask the prospects, record the answers, and then see if there were some significant information to be derived from the effort. The time had come to begin to decide on which questions to ask.


“So, what are you doing for relaxation when you’re not studying?” I asked Naomi when I called her just before Valentine’s Day.

“Not much. Going for walks in the mountains north of Chorro. There’s a group of boys and girls who enjoy hiking. The weather has been pretty good this winter, so we’ve been fairly regular getting out.”

“I just wanted to wish you a happy Valentine’s Day, love. Did you get my flowers?”

“Yes, I did. They’re lovely. You’re so thoughtful, Joel. Thank you so much.”

“I couldn’t do any less for you, love. I’m almost starting to count the days until I’ll see you again.”

“Oh, that’s so far away, Joel. I’m trying to ignore it until it’s closer. How are you doing? What are you doing?”

“Skiing is will be over in a month, but we’re getting the intramural slow-pitch organized for April. I’m certain we won’t have any trouble finding players. In the meantime, I’ve got a personal project for this spring ... and probably longer. I’m doing a survey on small business computer needs and security systems for both business and homeowners. It’ll be interesting to see what comes up when I collate the answers I get.”

“Why are you doing that? Do you have another summer job?”

“No ... Marcus suggested that a small business that specialized in other small business computer and security needs might have a fit in our marketplace. That’s what the survey is about. It may not pan out, but I think it’s worth the effort to find out.”

“Oh, Joel, I’m so proud of you. You are so self-motivated. You get an idea and you just go out and do it. Is this what you think you want to do when your education is finished?”

“Yes ... it could fit in with my experience and what could be rewarding, as well. I don’t really have any other bright ideas for my future.”

“Well, keep an open mind. You never know what might come along,” she said with what I imagined was a smile.


It was a Saturday afternoon in mid-April when I received a call on my cell phone. I was washing the truck, but stopped to fish the phone out of my pocket. The screen said it was Naomi and I answered it immediately.

“Hi, how are you, love?” I asked.

“I’m fine, Joel. But I have some news for you. I’ve been granted an internship at Americomp Systems this summer. I got it because I am at the top of my class this semester. Isn’t that amazing? They recruit graduates from here every year, but I didn’t think I had much of a chance to get the internship.”

I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was excited by this turn of events. “That’s great news, Naomi. When do you start?”

“Well, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about. I start almost right away after school in late May and I’ll be working there all summer,” she said cautiously.

“Oh ... uhhm ... does that mean you won’t be coming home this summer?”

“I’m afraid so. It’s too good an opportunity to pass up, Joel. I really want to do this, but I know you were looking forward to seeing me. I’m sorry.”

Again, I could tell by the tone of her voice that she really was sorry that she wouldn’t be coming back to Clarksville in the foreseeable future.

“Yeah ... I can tell it’s a big deal, love. I’ll miss you but you have to do what’s best for you and the future,” I said, not really meaning it. “Where are they located?”

“In San Jose. I’ll have to find a place to live, but with many of the students away for the summer at San Jose State, I should be able to find a dorm room at least.”

“What about money? Are they going to pay you?”

“Yes ... it’s a small salary but I’ve got my inheritance now, so money won’t be a problem. I’ll be okay, Joel ... aside from missing you and your Mom and Dad.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.