Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 13

The judge looked over the paperwork ... examined ... and I mean HARD. The safe had survived the crushing ... and the suspicious fire.

“Gentlemen. Approach the bench.”

Voices were raised.

He said ... he said ... they said. Louder, louder. Seated at the plaintiffs bench they were loud enough to hurt my ears. A couple of bangs with the gavel ... and a couple more.

The judge shouted, “Y’all shut up ... next mouth gets 30 days.”

Instant silence.

“There is no way I can refuse her suit. The handwritten signatures of the president and company counsel are unrefutable. Pay her!” He turned to the Clerk, “Judgement to the plaintiff. Attorney for the plaintiff and the plaintiff will meet in chambers to discuss the punitive award.”

The defense opened his mouth to complain...

“You have hemmed and hedged and delayed, postponed or sought transfer to another court. Judgement has been rendered. The company, at its discretion, will replace or cause to be built a catamaran of no less value than a like model. Period ... end of story.”

The judge banged the gavel, stood, settled his robes and fled to his chambers. He was going to return the bribe. He had to. Never had he been so lied to by an insurance company. Maybe he’d keep it ... as a lesson.

My attorney and I stepped into chambers. The Insurance company’s lawyer followed.

Bailiff and Clerk moved to exclude but I said, “Let him in. I have a deal.”

The amenities were soon settled, drinks all round, and I put up my hand.

“Miss Flintkote.”

“JW, my brother, and his wife Zoe have decided that 100 feet of Cat is just too big. Cyn and her new husband Billy agree. Personally, I bought the hundred because it was available ... and bigger than my 65. If you knew Cyn you’d understand.”

I took a sip, “I have had advanced notice of a pending high profile celebrity divorce. The bone to be chewed is his 90 foot South African built catamaran. She objects to SA politics. He bought because of them. An unsolvable impasse. The boat cost 8 million Euros new. I can buy it, as furnished, for just under three,” I turned to the lawyer. “Right now, in the presence of the court, write me a check for 4.5 and pay my attorney his fees and we’re good.” I held up my hand. “Or ... you can negotiate with the yard in Croatia where the hundred was built.” I grinned.

The Insurance company lawyer looked at the grin. “You already did, didn’t you? How much?”

“Eighteen million with price depending on inflation ... in Croatia, inflation is adjusted weekly.” I said.

Cell phones were pretty new ... I had one. So did he. He called. The conversation was short.

“Judge?”

“You don’t have your checkbook out? You’re dumber than I thought.”

“Let’s walk across the street and do business,” the attorney suggested.

“I’ll go with,” said my lawyer. “You can write me one.”

“How much are you going to cost?”

“Ten percent.”

“Bailiff ... go with. Get a copy of the deposit receipt.”

National Australia Bank was across the street. NBA is the parent of my bank, NZNB New Zealand National Bank.

Downtown Hong Kong is a misnomer. Hong Kong IS downtown ... and uptown. Land in Hong Kong is exactly TWICE that of land in Singapore... $ 28,570 per square meter. Privately owned vacant land is taxed higher than “occupied” land. A bank across the street from the court is a status symbol that National Bank of Australasia paid dearly for.

The difference in names? Mergers, old son ... mergers.

We walked across the street ... in itself a heroic act. Hong Kong traffic.

We were scrutinized, vetted and calls were made. The cheques were presented, deposited and accepted by half a million minions and others of their ilk. Monies secure in the electronic vaults, my attorney said thanks and made to leave.

“Hold on ... we’re not done.”

I turned to the teller.

“I’d like a cashiers cheque for half a million, please.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.