The Administrator - Cover

The Administrator

Copyright© 2020 by Westside24

Chapter 5

It was some four months later from when they first opened for business that Doug could honestly say that the business was operating as it was intended. The applications they were receiving covered the gamut of businesses people wanted loans for to start or expand. The ads they had placed were the reason for this influx of applications not all of which were approved.

Besides doing the initial interviewing of the applicants Doug would also review the completed credit checks they ordered on the applicants before a final decision would be made on the loan. He had just reviewed the credit check on Raul Estevan who had applied for a loan to open up a taco stand. The two bankruptcies Raul had failed to mention on his loan application or when he was interviewed were the reasons Doug was going to turn down the request for a loan.

He had finished his write-up and was about to walk out and give the file to Lisa to send out a turn-down letter when that became unnecessary as she walked into his office. He handed her the file.

“Jeff Martin is on the phone and he wants to talk to you,”’ said Lisa.

Picking up the phone Doug said, “Hi Jeff, how are things going?”

“Things are going fine with me, how about you?”

“Business was slow going when we first started doing this loan business but recently the number of applications we are receiving for loans has picked up. I hope I am not loaning out too much in the way of loans.”

“No, you aren’t. Amy tells me the initial funds we gave to start the corporation have grown considerably because of the rise in the stock market. They are generating a sufficient amount of dividends and interest to handle what you are doing. Listen, the reason I am calling is that we are back in the area for a few days and we would like to stop by and talk about how the corporation and you are doing.”

“Sure, when and what time?”

“How about tomorrow at ten?”

“See you then.”

After ending the call Doug told Lisa about their expected visitors tomorrow. It went without saying that they wanted to make a good impression.

Both Lisa and Doug were at the office bright and early the next day making sure everything was ship shape. A few minutes after ten, Doug heard the buzzer signaling that the front door had opened. Walking out to the front of the office he could see Lisa standing and shaking hands with Jeff and then with a lady that Doug assumed was Jeff’s wife Amy. Doug walked up and also engaged in the introductions and the handshakes.

“I like the office as it looks very professional,” said Jeff.

“Lisa deserves all the credit for doing that. All I did was give her a credit card” said Doug, which caused the three of them to laugh.

Jeff, Amy, and Doug went into Doug’s office and took a seat. Before anything was said Lisa came in and handed Jeff and Amy a plate and fork that had a large portion of smoked Asian on it.

“What’s this,” said Jeff

“It is a product being produced by one of the people we gave a loan to. Try it, I think you will like it,” said Doug.

“I do like it,” said Amy. “What type of fish is this?” asked Amy.

“Carp or more specifically Asian Carp,” said Doug.

After seeing what could be said was a shocked look on both their faces Doug explained more about the fish and went on to tell about the loan he gave to Brian. He mentioned the recent phone call he had with Brian in which he said he has been successful in having a large grocery store chain carry smoked Asians. He is now in talks with a restaurant chain for them to be offering a fish spread made with this smoked fish.

“Tell us about some of the other loans you have made,” said Jeff.

“I think you know about Tom Carrol.”

“Yes we do,” said Amy. “He must have asked my parents for my address because he sent me a nice letter thanking me for seeing that he received the loan. My parents tell me he must be pretty successful judging by what people say about him and the number of cars they see in his parking lot.”

“Tom isn’t the only Doctor we have given loans but he is the only one who started from scratch. We have given out loans to three Doctors, one Dentist, and a Veterinarian who all needed the funds to buy established practices from someone who wanted to retire and didn’t want to carry the paper.”

Doug then told the story of Charles Gomez and why he needed a loan. He told of a recent phone call he received where Charles was asking if he could start paying the loan off earlier than what the contract called for. He said business was good and he was considering adding a second food truck in the future. He has an Army buddy who is interested in doing this.

“That’s not to say we give everyone a loan who asks for one. There are some applications that we have turned down for various reasons. I will say it does give me a good feeling to give out these loans and see how these people are getting a good start in life to be successful.”

Doug could see both Jeff and Amy nodding their heads as he spoke.

“This is why we wanted to meet with you and hear how things are going. I will say it is nice to hear that things are going well,” said Jeff. “Helping people get started in the business by giving low coast flexible loans was the reason we formed this corporation in the first place and was our way of giving something back. We have time so why don’t we all go out to lunch it is my treat.”

Amy’s remark “You big spender you” cause all of them to laugh.

Lunch was very nice and enjoyable. Lisa and Amy got along well and acted like they had known each other forever even though they just met. Doug asked Jeff about his travels and the house he was having built in the Keys. One thing Jeff said which Doug thought was interesting was that he was having an elevator put in this house because walking up the steps to the elevated living area, which the building code required because of hurricanes and storm surges, can be a big pain in the ass especially when you are carrying groceries.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.