Mage - Cover

Mage

Copyright© 2018 by QM

Chapter 71

A week had passed since the ‘revolt’ on Draenoric. What information we had was limited to a few surviving TechnoYr’ch who did not desire to remain under the control of their organisation and the ongoing pogroms against any who did not accept Sarkal as their god. These Orcs had managed to get the componentry to make their own portal ring and had brought a few friends and their families through with them. It was they who confirmed that somehow the new Council had managed to get, or had stored the necessary assembly units to recreate a nanite plant and hence speed up their recovery from months down to weeks.

Also arriving in our Loegrian side base were the advance units of the armies of the allied Earths who were being kitted out and armed with the modified guns the Loegrians had been working on, giving them the ability to fire self-powered Null bullets in single fire mode.

Our Loegrian allies were now examining the TechnoYr’ch weaponry and were racing to set up a production plant capable of making them in the quantities that the Orcs desperately needed as well as coding a nanite template to enable the Orcs to make their own.

Athena naturally had her hands full, the number of her followers now topped a million and she was hard put to actually get them settled and productively engaged in the new civilisation she hoped would give them a far happier and fulfilling life. She did have a lot of help via the six Archimandrites as well as Gregorius and, although chaotic at times, all had been housed and fed, including the Orcs rescued from their last remaining colonies. That left only Draenoric, Vultoq and Athena’s colony as the last places with a concentration of the Orcs, with more and more Orcs giving their allegiance to her, particularly amongst the MilitaryYr’ch, even the clones. It was also noticeable by those who knew her that her abilities had grown once again and whilst occasionally she became a bit distant when discussing future plans, she remained grounded by Gregorius with an occasional gesture or insult.

The Vultoqi had gone into their usual quiescent state after a major victory, with the adelshaut tearing down the evacuated Orc fortress and having a difficult time of it due to the various destructive demolition charges we, and the Orcs, had hidden all over the site, some of which could be triggered remotely. The only occasional incursions were by swarms of Klarven which were being dealt with by a new Loegrian invention which hit them with supersonic blasts, shattering their nervous systems within their chitinous armour. The frequencies necessary having been figured out by Xi and Kyra from a scan of the one we’d captured. It was also noted that our Mage-designed armour was mostly resistant to their bites with only a remote chance of a puncture near where the weave was flexible on the spine and neck. This was only a danger to non-Mages as a Mage could fight them off easily, via our powers.

The Vultoqi had tried using their portal to attack various cities in a series of nuisance attacks, though never in great numbers. The one attempt to use troichin had ended with the use of a fuel air explosive device on them as they approached an Orc city. So far they hadn’t attempted to use Klarven on a city, though we were rapidly adapting the sonic device to be mounted on a drone for such an eventuality.

The Orc civilisation on Vultoq was very much in the throes of upheaval, particularly when the news of Draenoric was broadcast, with various hordes declaring either for or against Athena, Beog or Sarkal and naturally deciding to fight it out for dominance. This belief was usually in name only and, as ever, was used as an excuse for a block war ... not that they particularly needed an excuse. It did however keep them occupied and did make them a source for recruitment into the new hordes Crnnch was raising to make up the losses suffered against the Vultoqi as well as the cutting off of the hordes from Draenoric. Again, the Loegrians came to the fore in their ability to make Orc armour quickly; the Council of the Wise covering the cost and the Orcs themselves being able to provide the materials. Crnnch also had his few TechnoYr’ch busy on converting one of the nanite rebuilding plants into some sort of manufacturing plant to assist in creating a second source of equipment for them.


“I’m not sure quite how we managed it, the grunts did wonders, but, the second ring is now complete and fully manned,” Slaarg announced to the leadership group which had now been expanded to include a couple of TechnoYr’ch.

“What of the anti-Klarven device our allies produced?” Crnnch asked.

“We adapted a sonic cleaning device used in our biotech production plants to emit the waveform,” Abrach, the senior TechnoYr’ch on the planet replied. “We were easily able to make the numbers required. We’re also fitting them around the various cities to reduce the chances of a surprise visit.”

“Good news indeed. How are the plans going for the tertiary ring?”

“We can make the units, but manning it could be an issue as you were only just able to fill out the secondary placements.”

“Yes, but that is my problem, not yours,” Crnnch nodded. “What of any attempts to duplicate the weapons used on Draenoric?”

“We are currently coding a template received from the allies of Ar-Thenna including an ingenious adaptation in power storage and surge capacity. Production from that as well as the ones received from wherever they produce them will begin shortly.”

“Thank you, Abrach. Your efforts are appreciated,” Crnnch replied. “Kurl, recruitment from the hordes?”

“Is going well, Seeker. At the moment we have to limit recruitment due to a lack of armour and weapons, but supply is increasing there and we should have a full military horde available in sixty cycles, followed by another two in ninety cycles,” Kurl replied after checking his notes.

“It will help, though I do worry as to what Draenoric will do with regards to us, once they have recovered from the sabotage done on them,” Crnnch nodded.

“Unfortunately there is little we can do with regards to the grunts; they simply are what they are. Only the freeborn appear to be able to adapt to new circumstances quickly,” Tenklar shrugged.

“Yes, but it is what it is and they are the only resource we have in abundance,” Slaarg commiserated. “Most of the freeborn end up in the blesséd of Ar-Thenna horde, though at only just over ten thousand, it’s hardly a horde.”

“I’d bet gold lendrils that they could defeat a horde though,” Fumel chuckled, getting nods and grins off the military commanders.

“Without a doubt,” Crnnch nodded. “Still, continue with your tasks, gentle Yr’ch. For the moment all we can do is react to our enemy’s actions. But give us time and I believe we’ll be able to go on the offensive.”


“We can expand the echtra, our paradise within the screen,” the senior patripure announced to the adoration of the surrounding adelshaut.

“This is indeed good,” a second patripure replied. “Will this enable the dark one to walk amongst us as in times past?”

“It will, though currently he works to destroy the old enemy from within upon their own world by getting them to attack each other and weaken them for the return to a cleansed universe.”

“What of the new enemy?”

“With the old enemy destroyed they will face our wrath alone. For we shall prevail!”

“WE SHALL PREVAIL! WE SHALL PREVAIL!”


“Vultoqi internal screen has expanded to twice its original surface area,” Adsila announced at the expanded morning meeting.

“Any further with penetrating it?” Roxanne asked.

“No, it’s not quantum driven, nor does it work like standard Orc screens. It is somewhat similar to the screen a Seeker uses, though far more porous to physical penetration.”

“Well, as we’ve never come close to even producing a Seeker screen, I guess it will have to wait. At least we know we can physically penetrate one ... so far.”

“Only at low speed, missiles will not work either.”

“Aye, but it is what it is. Any further with this adelshaut?”

“Yes, we’ve managed to breach its mental shield and gained some insight as to how they communicate as well as accomplish orders. Unfortunately, it has no idea of plans or indeed how they manufacture their equipment. Basically it just sees us as something to be killed and ploughed into the earth.”

“Vulnerabilities?” I asked.

“Still working on that with the Loegrians, but potentially they could be vulnerable to energy transfers as they absorb energy and we’re looking for the equivalent of a lightning rod to reverse the flow from them to the object.”

“Interesting, keep at it as we’ve as yet no idea on their numbers and going hand to hand with them doesn’t bode well for most of the alliance troops,” Kordanta acknowledged.

“Oh, they’ve started building those weird structures again.”

“Any idea what they are?” Roxanne asked.

“Not as yet. They aren’t bunkers, they’re too small for barracks and other than that weird device they were building under that screen, they don’t appear to go in for machines either.”

“How well are they guarded?” Hemdor asked.

“They aren’t, but there are always Vultoqi in the zone.”

“Any close to the edge of the killing zone?” I asked.

“A couple.”

“Permission to go have a look, Mage Roxanne?” he requested.

“Aye, why not, get Naimh’s team to back you up and pull you out if necessary,” Roxanne replied. “John, Alice, get your teams ready, I want sabotage missions ongoing on Draenoric, see the Seers for a list of targets.”

“Yes, Mage Roxanne,” we all replied before heading off into our planning groups.


Draenoric felt much different from the last time when we’d evacuated Athena’s people. Rather than an air of confusion, that had changed to one of fear. Our scans picked up troops everywhere, guarding buildings and keeping an eye on the populace as they went about their business. There were still obvious signs of the insurrection against the Orc Council everywhere and few if any signs that repairs were underway.

“Target is the TechnoYr’ch secondary headquarters. Ilzik lead the way,” I murmured quietly to my team.

“You got it, John,” Ilzik replied as the Drow cloaked and headed off towards our target, a tall tower at the edge of the parkland.

Activity ahead, ‘ Ilzik sent after a careful five minutes moving amongst the greenery.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.