Misunderstandings & Judgements - Cover

Misunderstandings & Judgements

Copyright© 2018 by NikolettJay

Chapter 1

“Please mind the gap” Warned the automated voice as it rang out over the station. Right now, however, it was the least of her worries.

A little after 5 pm on the London underground felt like running a gauntlet to twenty two-year-old Elia Beltrán as she squeezed her way off the tube through the hoards of people trying to push their way on. A bald heavy set man shoved his way past her.

“Bloody foreigners!” He grunted indignantly.

“Raasclaat! She exclaimed in thick patois. He threw her a disgusted look as she turned away with a satisfied smirk, He wanted a foreigner, she’d give him one. Leaving him behind she hurriedly made her way up toward the exit, it was already ten past five and she was late, something she couldn’t bear. She’d just spent a lovely day visiting Bath, to do some photographing. Small charming and historic Bath made a lovely subject. A delay in her journey back, however, meant she was late for a family BBQ that she and her older sister, Jazmin had promised to help prepare for. She hurriedly sent her off a text as she reached the street “Almost there!” she wrote before sending it to her dad. A few minutes later she arrived, apologising for her late arrival.

“Ya mum was expecting you an hour ago!” Exclaimed her dad. “She’s going crazy out there!”

“I know I know!” Elia cried with frustration. “Bloomin train was late, then it slowed down to a snail speed after passing Reading!” She quickly gave her dad a kiss then rushed into the kitchen where her older sister Jazmin was already busy preparing salad items. She gave her a relieved smile as she entered. Their mother was outside in the back garden, she could hear her fussing at their younger siblings as she busied herself arranging the setup.

“Don’t mind mum,” Jazmin told her. “Dad invited one of the artists he’s working with and it’s made her go a bit crazy” Elia snorted as she took her meat out of the fridge to prepare.

“Think dad does it to get a kick out of her freaking out!” She quipped.

“Well!” Her dad exclaimed as he entered the kitchen. “I deserve some entertainment! After twenty-five years of grief.”

“Dad!” Elia cried with a laugh as he winked at her.

“Elia?!” Her mum cried from the garden. The trio burst into more laughter

“Oh now we’ve blown it.” Her dad chortled “I knew I shouldn’t have made you laugh!”

Elia made her way to the back door which was open.

“Yeah?!” She called

“Mi’jita where have you been?!” Her mother wailed. “you were supposed to be here hours ago, we have guests arriving soon and we’re not even ready!” She paused to look at her for a moment. “Do you have anything to change into?”

Elia looked down at her attire.

“No” she exclaimed.”What’s wrong with this?! “Also no one will be here until six and we’re not starting the cooking until half past!” Elia pointed out. “So don’t worry, let me finish marinating this meat then I’ll help with whatever else needs doing!” With that, she marched back into the kitchen and carried on with her task leaving her mother muttering fretfully.

“It’s practically all done sweetheart!” Her dad told her with a smirk. “It’s only the laying out, I’ve not the foggiest what she’s trying to do out there either, it’s a BBQ and she’s out there decorating for a royal garden party!” Elia laughed

“Hey do we have any fresh eggs?” She asked.

“Just two I’m afraid luv!”

“Ay really?!” Her dad nodded.

“Well if you would just buy them in the shop like normal people!” Lydia muttered moodily as she came in from the garden. Elia rolled her eyes.

“Make yaself useful and go fetch them!”

“Did that already, there in the fridge.” Her dad interjected

“Ain’t going near those dirty chickens anyway, they stink!” Lydia snapped. Elia smirked as she focused on marinating

“Then, cook them for me!” She told her still smirking

“No way! Lydia exclaimed in horror. “They might have tiny chicks in them!” Elia laughed hard,

“Their unfertilised you muppet!”

“You don’t know that!” Lydia argued

“Ay dios mio!” Elia sighed and shook her head, “Lydia they are all just hens, aka GIRLS!” She paused and winked. “ They can’t breed! Besides, one day when I get my farm you’ll have to kill your own animals if you wanna eat!” Lydia screwed up her face

“I won’t visit you then!” She retorted slamming her eyes at her older sister.

“Even if it’s in Jamaica close by nanny Delfina and grampa Paz?” Elia continued teasingly “Imagine that, you’d need to get up at 5 am to start your breakfast, You’ll have to get your milk first, directly from the cow of course then leave it to chill it as you go collect your eggs. And, oh my days what if you fancied some bacon to go with it?!”

“Chairo puta...”.

“Lydia!” Their dad interrupted sternly. Lydia looked at him pleadingly

“She is though!” She whined. “I ain’t milking cows or killing any pig!”

“I don’t care, I won’t tolerate ugly language under my roof, you know that! Now, go and help your mother.” He ordered. “Then, at six o clock you go upstairs and stay there until I say you can come down” Lydia stared, mortified

“I’m sorry!” She pleaded tearfully.

“Do as you’re told” He told her quietly and sternly

Jazmin and Elia stayed silent, the latter felt a little bit bad, she didn’t mean to get her sister into trouble. But she well knew the strict rules of the house, even herself and Jazmin who no longer lived there still had to abide by them the moment they walked through the front door. Besides, Lydia ought to know that wasn’t even completely serious. For her a self-sufficient way of life was a distant dream one that she may even only realise in part, she had more immediate dreams and ambitions to fulfil in the meantime. Dance was how she currently made her living, in the ensemble of a Latin-themed west end show. As an Afro-Latina who just happened to be British born it suited her perfectly. Photography was an even bigger passion for her though and she longed to one day make a career from it while travelling from one place to another.

“Elie don’t wind up your sister so much please!” He scolded after Lydia had gone.

“Sorry dad” she told him remorsefully.

He looked at her then shook his head and began to smirk

“You take after me too much that’s your problem.”

“Is she gonna miss the BBQ?” Jazmin asked tentatively,

“Nah!” He told her. “Will let her come down after 20 or 30 minutes!”

Elia smiled to herself. She adored her father with all her heart. He was right though, she took after him the most. He had an ironic sense of humour and was in some ways quite laid back and reasonable. However, he was not to be messed with, when tried he was tough and ran a strict house. However, unlike him, she did have the tendency to be more impulsive and passionate. He was born in Jamaica from Cuban parents and had moved to England in his late teens and pursued a career as a music producer. Over the years had made a fair success of it, to the point that seven years earlier when the studio he worked at got taken over, there was a bidding war between the incoming and outgoing companies over who would get to keep him. In the end it was incoming team who won. The boss, Catherine Dargas had a ridiculous amount of wealth behind her and had offered to her dad a property she owned in London. To her it was just a surplus, one of many houses, she had in London, France, and Switzerland. To her dad though it was a much needed relief. Struggling with a family of five in a four bedroom house, the six bedroom property she was offering was too good an offer for him to turn down. It wasn’t that they were poor, but supporting a large family in central London was not an easy task! He worked hard for his new boss who also ran her own record company and in turn the recording company frequently used his talents with many artists on her roster.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.