My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 21

‎After taking a day off to fish, I was all clean and well rested. I also had drank a boat load of coffee while waiting for my first volunteer applicant. It was just my luck that the first one was a woman. I had real reservations. Not about her sex, but about her mental health.

‎It seemed that Lucinda Mercer was US Army combat veteran who had been declared disabled. She had a chunk of her leg blown away by an IED somewhere in Afghanistan. She was suffering from the same things as me only worse.

‎‎”Ms Mercer I have read your record and it is very impressive,” I said.

‎‎”You are impressed by the fact that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time?” she asked.

‎‎”Actually yes,” I said. “Just being willing to go out on search and destroy missions takes balls.”

‎‎”Stupidity is more like it,” she said. “But thanks Anyway.”

‎‎”So are you bored sitting at home?” I asked.

‎‎”Are you?” she asked showing some attitude.

‎‎”I’m so bored, I’m almost clinically depressed,” I admitted.

‎‎”Yeah, I get that,” she said. “So how does this gig work?”

‎‎”Well a couple of days a week, you will need to go hang around a day care for kids from single parent homes. It isn’t a day care as much as a short term sanctuary for a while. Our mission is to keep them safe from the world.” I explained.

‎‎”If somebody comes in with a gun?” she asked.

‎‎”The simple answer is they go out in a body bag. The real answer is harder to explain and to hear.‎ Then you have to be a shrink. If you can’t talk them down, you take measures. The first choice is non lethal, but if it is a matter of the bad guys or the kids ... Well then you do what you can live with.” I explained.

‎‎”So, I get my chance to turn the therapy on to someone else. If that don’t work, I get to beat hell out of them. If that don’t work, then I get to blow them away,” she said. “I like that.”

‎‎”Understand, we will still have to answer to the law, and in the end to God” I said. “But one thing about this is I don’t think the people we protect will spit on us.”

‎‎”Count me in. I can clear my busy rehab schedule just pick a couple of non consecutive days for me to work,” she said.

‎‎”Cool, they said they have no problem with us doing business on cell phones, but let’s not abuse that,” I said.

‎‎”When do I start?” she asked.

‎‎”It’s going to be a while. We need to be fully manned before we go in to protect the kids,” I said.

‎‎”Half a loaf is better than starving,” she said.

‎‎”I want a team of five before we start the protective service,” I said. “Right now they keep a low profile and move the site of the day care every couple of days for security.”

‎‎”That’s got to be a pain in the ass,” she agreed.

‎‎”Yes, but it has to be done till we get certified by the Sheriff,” I said. “So make an appointment with the range officer.”

‎‎”You going with me,” she asked. Something about her asking me that rang a warning bell.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.