In Olden Days - Cover

In Olden Days

Copyright© 2020 by Rolf

Chapter 2

Just a note. I say English but that is not fact. Latin, Gaelic, Arabic, Italian, French and Frankish was more widespread.


Kali’s mother knew English. Eventually she was kept at the Great Library in Timbuktu, at the time the world largest with 45,000 books or scrolls. There she learned several languages from her mother and other caretakers. She was sold as a companion when she was 12. Her drive and personality soon made her an invaluable member of the Sheikh household. That personality though threw William for a loop. It was an instant love/hate situation.

That first night, late that night, William could be found near her tent looking at the stars and ostensibly tending the fire there. His two Amazon warriors quite near him but more so to protect Kali and those inside the tent. Her guards could see those things he did not want to admit. Gurt and Bett also knew, a woman knows these things, you see.

The second night he came again this time with a gift. One of her guards must have signaled her of his arrival because she also ventured out of the tent. Words were short and curt until he called for and handed her a leopard cub.

“Here, something to amuse yourself with.”

Right. The health and welfare of that cub became an excuse to meet between the two each night of the travel to Damascus. Both thought they kept a secret when actually most everyone knew about their meetings by the 3rd night.

There were instances of possible attack, sensed, possibly by William or his Mongols but all-in-all the journey to Damascus went well. Her small group departed as William watched them ride into the central city. His forces waited outside the gates.

Riders approached. Place was arranged for his troops within the outer gate. Water, food and other street vendors and merchants would come to them there. William and his bodyguards were invited to dinner as a guest of the Sheikh. He had previously agreed to assist with his men so this was not unexpected.

William knew he was in another man’s domain as soon as he entered the Palace. If you have ever been to China this was similar. Dirt and damage rubble visible on the outside; gold, marble, sheer opulence inside. There seemed to be a very precise ritual once inside. The dozen of so scantily clad attendants were something he could get used to. One could not miss the evil looks and eye daggers Gurt and Bett directed at him when he seemed too at ease with the attending girls attention. I think I already mentioned they had nothing to worry about.

Gratitude was not something William expected, the gold was; the amount however far exceeded what his contract called for.

“May Allah Bless and Keep you well my son.”

Yep this reception was welcomed but again unexpected.

“The Princess, my daughter means everything to me. The slave Kali tells me you and your men have acted with great respect and tolerance, especially your Mongols.” He said the last with a bitter taste in his mouth. He also saw a look of question on William’s face.

“I fear the task I had hired you for is no more, a new challenge befalls all of us. Are you still in my employ?”

“Great Sheikh we await your command.”

“Who do your Mongols obey?”

“Right now they obey me for the Gold and Gems I provide them. A few ride with me because they are my men and will never leave me. They serve a ‘life debt’ to me.”

No more was said. Dinner, the best he had ever eaten. Arab salad, Fattoush, Palestinian salad, Matbucha, Tabbouleh and Raheb. Meats were lamb and chicken spiced with herbs and spices such as sesame, saffron, Black pepper, Allspice, turmeric, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, Parsley, Coriander and sumac. Spice mixtures include baharat, Ras el hanout, Za’atar, Harissa. Vegetables such as carrots, eggplant (aubergine), zucchini (courgette), artichokes, okra, onions, Potatoes and Olives.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.