Well Made and Enduring - Cover

Well Made and Enduring

Copyright© 2016 by PocketRocket

Chapter 17: Kicking Off

Winter weather brought another change. During one of her trips to Concord, Dr. Richards accepted an invitation to a Republican fundraiser. It was hosted by Ann Coulter, who brought Dr. Richards up to the podium for an impromptu debate. The final question of the debate asked Dr. Richards if she would consider running for Congress. The morning paper featured a picture of Dr. Richards saying, “No promises.” but agreeing to consider the possibility.

There it sat for many weeks. Occasionally one side or the other would make a gesture, but mostly they circled like boxers in a ring. Meanwhile, Dr. Richards recruited her old friend, State Senator Morgan Robertson to the firm. In a related move, Dr. Richards formed a partnership and gave out 5% shares in the company to six people, Elspeth included. Morgan Robertson received the seventh share when she entered finally retired and came on board. This set the stage for an end-of-year crunch.

As a dancer of some accomplishment, Elspeth could appreciate the way the New Hampshire Republican Party and Dr. Richards were maneuvering. The formalities were already complete, filed just before the deadline, but both party and financial support would be crucial. Elspeth knew that Dr. Richards was playing hard-to-get―the threat of withdrawing her name was real―but she also wanted to be caught. The candidate and the party reached an agreement just before the New Year.

The campaign was a frustration for Elspeth. As a lifelong political junkie, being stuck a hundred miles from the candidate was tough. On a more physical note, the frustration was a continual low fire. When Dr. Richards came calling, at best it was a few hours and frequently just a quicky. Complicating matters was Trip Lusk.

Dr. Richards had hired Trip during the summer to assist with the tech side of the building/renovation project. When Trip wanted to continue into the fall term, Dr. Richards was adamant that he finish his degree. Back he went. Unlike the drive to Boston, Rochester, NY was a six-hour drive in good weather. Elspeth found she missed seeing him every day. At least, that was how Elspeth explained it to herself.

Dr. Richards deduced the real problem the moment she met Trip face to face. Her explanation to Sean and Sheila was, “He’s Ro Willingham without the breeding.” Once Dr. Richards understood that Elspeth was physically attracted to Trip, she immediately threw impediments between them. She pointedly told Trip to stop spending his weekends driving to see Elspeth and concentrate on graduating.

This was not easily accomplished, but Trip came up with a plan. Taking twenty credits in the spring and eight more in the summer, he could finish the academic requirements. That left his senior project. For this, Dr. Richards shipped Trip to her brother in California. During two weeks of winter break, Trip did all the experimental work for his project, likely gaining unauthorized use of restricted equipment to do so. Elspeth felt faint when she saw the task Trip was blithely undertaking.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.