Silver Bell Shifter: Wolf Junction Book One - Cover

Silver Bell Shifter: Wolf Junction Book One

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 5

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 5 - Riley Flowers moves to Wolf Junction, Nebraska, and is intensely drawn to shy, sexy Calvin Lightfoot. Calvin's been burned by lost love before, and he's not willing to chance it again--until Riley enters his life. He wants her for his own, but will she be able to accept the shifter side of him and come to love the man within? *spicy heat level, violence, adult situations*

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Mystery   Paranormal   Were animal   Interracial   Violence  

As he waited just inside the door of the Blue Diamond, Calvin could’ve kicked himself for suggesting the fanciest place in Wolf Junction. He was sure to spill a drink or drop food on the floor. It wouldn’t have mattered so much in one of the bars or Barkley’s, but it would be extremely embarrassing in the upper-scale establishment. He smoothed a hand down the jacket of his black suit and made sure his tie was straight for the tenth time.

After the scene in his office that afternoon, he’d shifted and taken a run to blow off some steam. He’d run far and fast to burn off some of the residual heat Riley had created. It was a little scary how quickly she’d broken his control. If they hadn’t been interrupted, he knew that he’d have had his way with her right there on the floor.

The door of the Blue Diamond opened, and Riley stepped inside. She smiled and he tamped down the urge to kiss her. Walking to her, he offered to take her stylish black woolen coat. She turned around and he helped her out of it. Was she trying to kill him?

Her deep maroon long-sleeved dress wasn’t daring in the traditional sense. She showed off no cleavage and the skirt was of modest length, but the way the silky material clung to her curves created an understated, elegant allure that excited him more than if she’d arrived wearing a bikini.

“You look amazing,” he said, handing off her coat to the coat check girl.

Riley ran her hand down his suit lapel. “So do you.”

“Right this way, Calvin.”

He tore his gaze away from her and smiled at the hostess, Carrie Gordner. He pursed his lips at the way Carrie looked with disbelief between him and Riley. By midnight, it would be all over town they’d been out on a date. Depending on how things went, that could be a blessing or a curse.

Calvin rested his hand on the small of Riley’s back and guided her into the dining room behind Carrie. He resisted scowling when people started murmuring to each other in surprise. He was glad that Riley’s hearing wasn’t as powerful as his.

“Did you see that? I can’t believe a beautiful woman like her would go out with Calvin Lightfoot...”

“ ... Wait until she finds out that he’s as awkward as a kitten in a candy store...”

That one confused Calvin. A kitten in a candy store would be odd, but why would it be awkward? Of course, that statement had come from Larry Grundy, and he wasn’t wrapped too tight.

“I hope he doesn’t take her dancing. She’ll wind up in the ER with a broken foot...”

It galled Calvin to admit it, but that was true. He avoided dancing the way a mouse did a rattler.

Carrie stopped beside a table. “Here are your menus. Tom will be right with you.”

Calvin groaned inwardly. Tom Mitchel was tall, suave, and cultured. Everything that Calvin wasn’t. Then he shrugged off his insecurity as he remembered that Riley had asked him out, not the other way around. With smug satisfaction, he thought that it also wasn’t Tom who Riley had practically attacked that afternoon.

As she let him help seat her, Riley wondered at the little smile that played around Calvin’s mouth. He moved with the same sort of stiffness he had at her store, and she realized that he was being cautious as he sat down.

She spread a cloth napkin over her lap and then watched Calvin pick up his and stare at it thoughtfully.

Finally, he looked at her and fingered his black and gray pin-striped tie. “Do you like this?”

“Yes. It’s very nice.”

“Do you like the way it looks on me?”

Did he always fish for compliments? “Yes. You look very handsome.”

“Thank you.” Calvin loosened the knot and slid the tie from under his shirt collar. “Since you’ve seen it and like it, I can get rid of it, because sure as shit, I’m going to spill something on it if I don’t.”

Riley laughed. “Are you really that clumsy?”

“Sure am. Ask anyone in this room. Except that lady over there. I’ve never seen her before,” Calvin said, noting the woman sitting with Larry Grundy. “Besides, after this afternoon, I’m not sure how you can doubt that I’m a klutz.”

Riley asked, “What do you mean?”

“I didn’t mean to tackle you like that. The desk blotter slipped, and I sort of fell across the desk.”

With a giggle, Riley said, “I’ve never had a man literally fall for me before. I didn’t mind at all.”

Calvin just gave her a sheepish grin and glanced at Grundy and his guest. He’d have to listen to them occasionally. Although shifters were a secretive society, there were those who were aware of their existence. And some of them weren’t kindly disposed toward his species.

A few years ago, one such person had shown up at Lightfoot Farm and almost killed Adam, who’d been on a run. Fortunately, Calvin and Tyra had been nearby. They’d made quick work of the would-be assassin and gotten Adam back home to heal.

The man who’d shot Adam had been hanging around town for a few weeks, but none of the Lightfoots had known that he’d been any threat to them. Shortly after that, Calvin had run for and gotten elected as town treasurer, which gave him early knowledge of any new businesses that were moving into town.

He then took whatever information he gleaned and did a thorough Internet investigation on the person. JJ, a licensed private investigator, played gumshoe and shadowed them for a while to make sure they were legit and not there to harm the Lightfoot clan.

Tuning his ears into Larry and the unfamiliar lady’s conversation while he stuffed his tie in his pants pocket, Calvin was relieved to hear them discussing the upcoming Christmas season.

Giving Riley his full attention then, he said, “So, I hear that you’re from Colorado. What made you decide to move?”

He already knew, but he wanted to hear it from Riley’s perspective.

“Well, I’m newly divorced and wanted to get out of there and start over,” she said.

“I’m sorry your marriage didn’t work out.”

Riley waved his concern away. “Don’t be. It was a marriage of convenience, and it was time to part ways. I’m not sad about it.”

Calvin frowned when he saw Tom approaching from behind Riley.

“Good evening,” Tom said. “I’m Tom and I’ll be your server tonight.”

“Tom Mitchel, this is Riley Flowers, the new own—”

“Pleased to meet you.” Tom gave Riley a charming smile. “You’re even more beautiful than I’d heard you were.”

Riley’s return smile held only cold politeness. “Thank you. What are your specials tonight?”

Calvin laughed inside at Tom’s surprise over Riley’s curt tone. Tom floundered a little before he got it together and rattled off the various dishes. They both ordered the shrimp scampi and Calvin requested a bottle of white chardonnay. Tom didn’t stick around.

“What do you mean it was a marriage of convenience?” Calvin asked.

“Kevin and I were friends and we both needed money. His father is rich and had some very old-world ideas about things. He wouldn’t give Kevin his inheritance unless he married, so we pretended to be in love,” Riley said.

Calvin played with his water glass. “But you weren’t.”

“No.”

“Oh. So, what did you get out of it?” he asked.

Riley knew that a lot of people wouldn’t approve of her and Kevin duping his family, but she didn’t care. “Money and plenty of it. We agreed to stay married for three years to make our marriage seem legitimate and then cite irreconcilable differences and divorce.”

“Did you, uh, on second thought, none of my business.”

Riley grinned. “Separate bedrooms. Kevin is gay.”

“Oh, I’m glad.” Calvin did a mental face-palm. “I mean, that’s nice.”

Riley giggled as his face flushed. “It was nice. That way I didn’t have to worry about sleeping with someone I had zero attraction to. Unlike a certain nerdy cowboy I know.”

His bashful laugh warmed her heart. “I’m not going to apologize about earlier today,” he said.

“I’m glad to hear it. Have you ever been married?”

Her question was like a mule kick to Calvin’s gut. “No. Close, but no cigar.”

“What happened?”

Calvin took a sip of water to give himself a moment to recover. “She wasn’t as appreciative of nerdy cowboys as you,” he quipped. “Stood me up on our wedding day.”

Shock stiffened Riley’s spine. “What a cowardly bitch. How could she do that?”

“I guess she didn’t know how to tell me before then.”

Riley said, “That’s bullshit. Telling people bad news is uncomfortable, but the longer you wait, the worse it is.”

Calvin tucked his napkin into his shirt collar. “Sounds like you’re speaking from experience.”

“I am. I learned that the sooner you get the hard stuff out of the way, the sooner you can get on with your life,” Riley said.

Before Calvin could ask her to elaborate, Tom arrived with their wine and salads. Once Calvin had approved the wine, Tom hurried off. Deciding he didn’t want to bring more unpleasant topics up, he changed the subject.

While Riley told him about the rest of her day, Calvin checked back in on Grundy and his lady friend. They were discussing each other’s children, so Calvin tuned out again.

“Is it true that you have ten brothers and sisters?” Riley asked.

Calvin nodded. “Yeah. Adam is Mom and Dad’s only biological child. The rest of us are adopted.”

“Really? That’s extraordinary. They must have huge hearts,” Riley said. “How did they come by you?”

He laughed. “Makes me sound like a puppy.”

Riley colored. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it that way.”

“It’s okay. I was sort of like a puppy.” He told her how he’d met Trent but left out the part about being a shifter. “Most of us have the same sort of story.”

Riley said, “I’m glad you ran into Trent that day.”

“Me, too.”

The rest of dinner was spent discussing happier subjects and by the time it was over, Riley couldn’t wait to meet the rest of Calvin’s family. They sounded so fun, and Calvin obviously loved them.

Calvin was amazed that the only blunder he’d made was slopping a little wine on the table. Although Riley’s eyes had twinkled, she’d made no mention of it while he’d mopped it up with his napkin.

Despite her protests, Calvin insisted on paying. “Sorry. Dad taught us boys that the man always pays. Blame him.”

Riley said, “I’m going to have to talk to him about his antiquated ways.”

“Won’t do any good. Believe me.”

Once he’d taken care of the bill, he retrieved Riley’s coat from the coat check room and helped her into it. He opened the door for her and followed her through it. As soon as they hit the sidewalk, Calvin started grinning.

Riley asked, “What are you so happy about?”

He spread his arms wide. “I made it through dinner without any major screw ups. It’s a Christmas miracle!”

Riley burst into laughter. “Christmas? We haven’t even had Thanksgiving yet.”

“Christmas came early, babe. Didn’t you see Santa come whizzing by here in his sleigh?”

Calvin motioned broadly with his right arm and almost hit a lady who came out the Blue Diamond.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.